Protein in urine. Again!!

victry77

Hi, just wondered if anyone has any relevant info regarding this or has been in a similar situation.

A couple weeks after my annual review this time last year, I received a letter telling me that I needed to repeat the urine sample as it was showing a trace amount of protein. Obviously I got into a bit of a lather about this as only been T1 for just turned 4yrs, AC1 levels good, general BG control good and no high BP either.

I did another sample and after a further fortnight heard nothing back. Rang them up and the nurse said that it was fine and that there had been something not done properly with the first sample. Something about the a/c ratio had not been completed properly and that's what had affected the results.

Anyway, had this years annual review 2wks ago (AC1 in the 5's and BP good). Now, my GP surgery has just rang me to say that the paperwork has come back and it says I need to repeat the urine sample in 3 months time. The only info they could give me was that it said "a/c urine".

I rang my DSN for further details but she's away till next Tuesday. Obviously, there must be protein showing again but what actually concerns me is that I had this happen last year, but then it was put down to a problem with the testing. I'm wondering now if that wasn't actually the case and I have in fact been leaking protein for the past year :?

Does anyone have any experience with protein/urine issues?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The 'a/c ratio' test your nurse is referring to is the Albumin to Creatinine Ratio, this test is carried in diabetics to test for the first signs of kidney disease, this article is American but gives a good brief explanation of what your looking for:

http://aapa.kramesonline.com/HealthSheets/22,C,13

victry77

Thanks, noblehead. I actually did quite a bit of reading regarding protein & ACR's last year when I had this issue, so have a pretty decent understanding of that aspect. I just wondered mainly whether anyone else had experienced recurring protein in their urine.

Hi Carb, no it wasn't fasting it was just the regular sample you provide at your annual review. I'm just a bit miffed the same think happened last year, too.

I spoke to another DSN over the phone earlier and she looked up my info and told me that a small amount of protein was detected and there was no signs of it being due to a UTI, so that's why I need to do a follow-up.

:thumbdown:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
victry77 said:
Thanks, noblehead. I actually did quite a bit of reading regarding protein & ACR's last year when I had this issue, so have a pretty decent understanding of that aspect. I just wondered mainly whether anyone else had experienced recurring protein in their urine.

Hi Carb, no it wasn't fasting it was just the regular sample you provide at your annual review. I'm just a bit miffed the same think happened last year, too.

I spoke to another DSN over the phone earlier and she looked up my info and told me that a small amount of protein was detected and there was no signs of it being due to a UTI, so that's why I need to do a follow-up.

:thumbdown:

Hi Sorry to hear of your problems it can be so frustrating and bewildering at times about what is really going on. I hope you can get it sorted out soon. I had a small amount of protein in the kidneys a couple of years ago. My GP put me on a low dose of Ramipril 1.25 and I have had no further problems.

Take care with best wishes RRB

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the same, after my heart bypass, I was called in to the gp's surgery who explained that they had found protein in my urine, I'm now on 1.25 mg of Ramipril, and no further problems. I'm due for a review soon so maybe the doctor will take me off it (I hope!)
Good luck.
Chris.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

victry77

Thanks Robin & Chris.

Yes, it really is frustrating, especially as I have to wait till the end of Sep before doing the next sample. Thanks for sharing that you both had similar issues and the problems resolved with meds (hope you're able to come of yours soon, Chris).

Were you both given a reason why the protein occurred? Have you been T1 a long time? Issues with regularly high BG's and/or BP?

Carb, I was just told hand in another sample, nothing about fasting. Although, I'll provide one from first thing in the morning and make sure to not eat anything lat eon the night before, so that might help, maybe.

mbudzi

Just back from my review and about to ask the same question.

Dipstick urine test showed +1 protein - can anyone translate this? I don't have dipsticks for urine at home.
Blood test showed Serum Albumin 44g/L

Consultant said he was going to send my urine off for analysis. Anyone know what the next analysis step is about? Is +1 protein bad or just a random, infection type reading?

HbA1c is 5.9 so higher than usual but still good.... should I be worried? Can my kidneys go phut even if I'm doing all the right things?

victry77

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat.

I don't know what my specific reading was (they never get technical in explaining things) but I was just told the protein was a "small amount" but they were able to detect no infection was present.

Don't know what the analysis is, I'm afriad, maybe someone else knows

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I had the exact experience as you victry. When I went for my annual review everything was in the normal range except I had a trace of protein in my urine. The DN gave me the forms to have a repeat blood test and urine test 3 months later. These came back as normal. Are you drinking enough water ? I know I wasn't for my first test but made sure I was really hydrated for the second one. Good luck !!

LittleWolf

Hi, sorry to thread jack.

Janeecee had protein in her urine a while back and I told her I often did but a lot of info online said this was pretty common and not always a sign anything is up

But I'm worrying now as I have had pain in the kidney for about 3 months now. It's been more constant on the last month. I have dipsticks because I'm prone to UTIs but theres no obvious sign of one at the moment.

My blood sugar is between 6 and 16 most of the time. I'm wondering if my worry is even warranted at those levels because I don't want to sound paranoid mentioning it to my GP...

victry77

Hi Littlewolf, I don't have many dealings with my GP in regards to my diabetes, but I do find that at my clinic they do take any symptom you have very seriously and get you sorted for any appropriate tests. I remember last year, my cortisol showed up slightly low and they shipped me off to be tested for addison's disease (which was thankfully neg). So, I would deffo see your GP about this pain if it's worrying and bothering you.

The protein is a weird one. The DSN I spoke to said that it can be fairly common to show up and especially in women around the time of their period.

Good luck x

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LittleWolf said:
Hi, sorry to thread jack.

Janeecee had protein in her urine a while back and I told her I often did but a lot of info online said this was pretty common and not always a sign anything is up

But I'm worrying now as I have had pain in the kidney for about 3 months now. It's been more constant on the last month. I have dipsticks because I'm prone to UTIs but theres no obvious sign of one at the moment.

My blood sugar is between 6 and 16 most of the time. I'm wondering if my worry is even warranted at those levels because I don't want to sound paranoid mentioning it to my GP...

Hi Littlewolf. I am not trying to diagnose here but have you been checked for kidney stones. The pain is typically excruciating but they can also cause mild pain depending where they/it is situated. Kidney stones can be caused by recurring kidney infections but also the stones can cause infections. Mine were diagnosed through xray and treated with lithotripsy which is a non invasive procedure which uses sound waves to break up the stones. Uncomfortable but not painful as such.

LittleWolf

Thanks for trying to help out x

I've finally had my 2 fastings back from the GP of 7 and more recent 13.4 but been declared non-diabetic. I highly doubt they are going to look into kidney stones in a young fit 20 year old, so I am going to find a quiet corner to deteriorate in...

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful and supportive. Really appreciated xxx

steveamos1234

For about the last 10 years I've had the same problem. But, each time after tests it came to nothing. For the last couple of years though my GP now sends off all samples for tests. Seems that I'm prone to protein in my urine, but also have a HBA1C never higher than around 6.2. Seems like it doesn't really mean there are any issues.

victry77

steveamos1234 said:
For about the last 10 years I've had the same problem. But, each time after tests it came to nothing. For the last couple of years though my GP now sends off all samples for tests. Seems that I'm prone to protein in my urine, but also have a HBA1C never higher than around 6.2. Seems like it doesn't really mean there are any issues.

Thanks for that, Steve. It's interesting to know that others have the same issues but it isn't necessarily an huge problem, just something to keep an eye on :thumbup: