CEREAL

lexie32

My son is now 8 and was diagnosed 3.5 years ago, he is currently favoring special K but he has also had cheerios, bran flakes and chocolate weetos, we had better b/s readings with the weetos they seemed to be a slower release choice! Our hospital dietitian is really in favor for treating type 1 kids as normal with a normal healthy diet without denying all the treats other kids have, we just match the carbs to the insulin!

jayne15

cheerios, multi-grain shapes and a small amount of coco pops mixed in just about gets Meg to her first morning snack at 10.30. this combination has high and low GI which seems to work for us.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
2 big shredded wheat 200ml milk and sprinkle of sweetner .it really fills my 8 year old girl up.till snack time at school at 11 she is on a ratio of 1:15 so has 2.5 units of insulin for this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Puffed wheat is a good cereal to try as it only has 0.3 grams of sugar per 15 grams cereal. You can always add some sweetener if you want. The only problem is supermarkets seem not to be stocking puffed wheat. I have been getting my supply from a small
Co-op but today I noticed they're clearing puffed wheat so I'll be stuck where to but it in the future.

Muir

nigelho said:
Puffed wheat is a good cereal to try as it only has 0.3 grams of sugar per 15 grams cereal. You can always add some sweetener if you want. The only problem is supermarkets seem not to be stocking puffed wheat. I have been getting my supply from a small
Co-op but today I noticed they're clearing puffed wheat so I'll be stuck where to but it in the future.

The amount of sugar a cereal contains is only half the story.
You also need to look at the total carbs, which roughly translates into how much of the product which be broken down into
carbohydrates in the column.
Beside that it also matter what type of grain the product is made from. Oat & wheat are the least complex types of starch and will be broken down into carbs quickly, where as rye is possibly the slowest one.
Any manner of wheat cereal will have an inheritent high total carb content even without sugar, and will probably make your BS more spiky. Same goes for Cornflakes by the way, fast-release carbs.
Just a couple of things to consider.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
a good cereal is honey puffed oats. look in the gluten free aisle made by 'rude health' they contain only oats and honey. they are 18g carb for 17g bowl. they keep sugars really stable and taste nice too.