testing/injecting in front of people?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, I'm nearly 19 and I've had type 1 for about 10 years but I find it so hard to inject in front of people that dont know I'm diabetic. Also to even tell people I'm diabetic I find so hard.

I see some people and they don't mind, they just inject anytime, any place. I wish I was like that because sometimes I inject hours after eating because I don't want to do it in front of people.

Has anyone had this and got through it? Or do you think its something I'll always struggle with?

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
Hi Jeleca,
I believe there are a few posts on this topic. Personally, I don't think for one second that you should feel in any way 'ashamed' or guilty about this (forgive my choice of words, but you know what I mean)... If you have to test and inject, do it. I really wouldn't give a hoot about anyone else, I mean, you're not doing it because you want to, are you?
If people have an issue with you testing or injecting, that's their problem.
Perhaps you should just give it a try, and try not to feel self conscious?
Daff.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
If they have a problem with its its just that their problem not yours its life saving medicine if they dont want to look rhey dont have to i can do mine mid conversation and noone will even notice and a hour or so later theyll go have u done ir insulin iv been diabetic 10 years to since i was 14 tho in my opinion everyone else needs to man up and let us get on with it x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She never said they had a problem with it. She said she had a problem with it.

You don't have yo make a song and dance about doing it. Just act as if it's a normal part of the day which For you it is.
I've never used insulin but I gather its not done using a proper syringe etc just a pen? No one can really see you doit.

In my experience of testing out and about people are usually just curious. Asking what my level is, I'd it good or bad etc.

You have this illness for life so you need to figure out a way of accepting it that works for you.

H

Hooked

I just do it, if people want to look or stare, fine. It's not something people see everyday and perhaps someday one of their own/they might be injecting themselves and seeing you being matter of fact about it might help them accept it as ok too.

Personally, I don't look up and around to notice who is watching and who isn't. I don't do it sitting down to drink a cup of tea, eating out, going for a walk - they are as much a normal part of my life as blood tests and injections are. Of people are going to stare, they are going to stare. It's usually not meant out of rudeness or being opinionated about what you are doing; it's just something they don't see everyday and they are curious - they prob don't even realise they are staring.

I prefer to live life, rather than worry about who is watching me live it. :wink:

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
eveshamgal said:
She never said they had a problem with it. She said she had a problem with it.

You don't have yo make a song and dance about doing it. Just act as if it's a normal part of the day which For you it is.
I've never used insulin but I gather its not done using a proper syringe etc just a pen? No one can really see you doit.

In my experience of testing out and about people are usually just curious. Asking what my level is, I'd it good or bad etc.

You have this illness for life so you need to figure out a way of accepting it that works for you.

Thank you :)

I will try to do it and see what happens, its worth a shot

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to do it through my tights under the table at school or in my stomach if I was wearing trousers.

At other times I used to go to the toilet to inject (I know a lot of people will say this is not good because of germs etc but I never had a problem with doing it in the toilet & never got any infections.). Also going to the toilet is probably less of a risk than leaving your blood sugar levels high for hours because you're worried about injecting.

Try not to worry about how you think people will react to an insulin pen & give it a go in front of people. I used to ask if I was with unfamiliar people just incase anyone had a needle phobia & as someone above said most people just ask questions as they are curious / don't understand diabetes
Good luck!