Advice much appriciated please

clairexox22

Hi There, Just looking for some advice really, I will cut a long story short, as ive posted before, My 7 year old, Height 115cm, weight 19kg gets ill at least once a month upto 5+ times a month, Headache, Abdominal Pain, vomitting, High blood sugar high ketones etc. can last anywhere upto around 6 hours, Well he had a hba1c few years ago, (due to something else) I think he was in the 4% somewhere, They recently did another one because of all of the sudden onset stuff, hes still within the normal, 5.9%. His results when he has these episodes have been 11.6, and ketones 1.6 8.9 ketones 1.6 but he will go back down to 5,6 etc. I have a rubbish ped who has discharged him, (not a diabetc ped) My guts telling me this is the worse thing, and i need to be under a ped, Because he wont listen to me i decided to take it upon myself, as Type 1 is in my family. I know it sounds really silly, but i brought a glucose meter, And thought i would go 2 days doing it, (hes absolutly fine with it). can you tell me if todays results are ok?

Breakfast at 7:40am, small portion at 11:30 his reading read 11.3
Then he had his lunch around 12pm, at 1:30pm i decided to recheck him his level was 7,5
2 Hours later, He hadnt eaten since lunch his level was 6,7
He had his dinner straight after so around half 3,
Now its 6pm, I have re checked and hes 8.2
I wont be checking him again tonight, I will definatly be checking before he has his breakfast. they seem like relativly ok levels apart from the 11.3?

I dont want to turn into a nurotic mother, But im at my witts end, He shouldnt have to suffer these brief episodes of being ill. :( but when your own child is becoming ill for the last 10 months and you dont know why, And you dont know where its gonna end, Its pretty scary. I feel like im going insane myself lol. can someone answer my questions please? :) Thank you. xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, definately arrange to see gp as this may need monitoring. Brief story of myself, exactly same symptoms on going for 3 years but did not think/know anything about diabetes. Lots of tests done all normal, then started losing vast amount of weight and other symptoms worsening. back to docs re~ checked blood, waited 3 days, chased docs for results, ended up a and e diagnosed type 1. knowing what I now know had I been monitoring myself probably would of had similar readings to your son. Sort of slow onset type 1. This may be the case for your son as I don't think they are non diabetic readings, or maybe the doc could do tests to see if anything else comes uo.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are not mega high readings, but they're certainly not "normal".

Most are from after meals but if I'm honest they don't mean much if you don't have the pre-meal reading to compare with. First thing in the morning before breakfast is a good indicator.

I hope for his sake its not diabetes and he's got something that can be fixed quickly :) but you're so right, don't let this drop. He's clearly got a problem and it needs sorted. Poor chap!

clairexox22

Thank you for your replies its much appriciated :) He feel asleep at 6pm! Lazy boy lol, So nothing to eat, Just checked his levels at 9:10pm, and hes 8.8, Im asuming thats ok?:) I really to hope its something that can be sorted Quickly tho bless him xx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
clairexox22 said:
Thank you for your replies its much appriciated :) He feel asleep at 6pm! Lazy boy lol, So nothing to eat, Just checked his levels at 9:10pm, and hes 8.8, Im asuming thats ok?:) I really to hope its something that can be sorted Quickly tho bless him xx

I don't know the levels for children, but even as a diabetic my levels are usually below 8.8 if it is more than 2 hours since I ate.

It could be some other infection pushing his BG level up, rather than the other way around

clairexox22

It could well be an infection, Hes not unwell so not sure, He fell asleep early last night, hald breakfast at 7:30am, So roughly 13 hours fasting, His level was 5.4 which im asuming is good?. He had Pizza for his lunch, and a small chocolatey bar thing, (I forgot to check at the 1 hour), Its been about an hour n half since he finished his dinner, Ive just checked, His levels are at 12. Im guessing thats ok as it isnt the 2 hour mark? :/

elaine77

I would continue to keep a diary of his readings until you have a good couple of weeks worth under your belt! Then I would take it to your GP and demand a full blood set done for BG, antibodies and c-peptide so then you will know for sure.

8.8 and 11.3 are very bad in my opinion as I rarely hit those levels and I am most definitely diabetic... They might be ok for type 1s post-prandial and you did test quite early after eating on one of those results BUT I don't believe for one minute 11.3 or 8.8 can be classed as normal or ok for a non-diabetic!

When I first got diagnosed nobody really understood when I said I felt ill after eating certain foods so one day my husband had ate a huge Greggs baguette with a sugary drink.... I tested his blood 2hrs later and he was 5.7 mmol.... That's what I would call non diabetic lol! If I had have ate the same meal, even without the sugary drink, I would have been 12+ mmol.... I had eaten crispbread with tuna mayo and my BG was 7... That's what made my husband see the difference...

He may have glucose intolerance at this moment in time and not actual full blown diabetes but I wouldn't just ignore it like they want you to... You're his mother and mothers always know best in my opinion.... Good luck :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi,

One reading you could do which would be very important to have is the pre-breakfast one just as he gets up in the morning. If this is below 7.0 it's deemed to be acceptable. The 11.3 is a bit of a concern, post meal in healthy non-diabetics can sometimes go up to 11.0 anything above that is considered to be outside of the range of what is normal. However depending on this fasting sugars in the morning this could be classified as glucose intolerance. Typically, you need fasting sugars of 7 or more, post meal sugars of 11.1 or more and HbA1c of 6.5 or more for diabetes to be diagnose, or random sugar readings of 11.1 or more and typical symptoms. I would keep an eye out on his weight, whether he urinates a lot and drinks a lot of waters (most certainly avoiding the soft drinks!).

One other thing to keep in mind is that young boys have a lot of hormonal shifts and these can disrupt what we would consider to be normal, as well as the illnesses too.

I would go and talk to the gp about it jsut to possibly run a GAD antibody or a c-peptite test, these could help determine whether it is type 1 or not. In any case, I would suggest kicking out the sweet things in the diet and making sure he gets a lot of exercise. I know he is young but establishing a good pattern could help his body rebalance if that is what it needs.

Hope that helps and best of luck! hopefully this is just his body adjusting and growing, fingers crossed :)
Frankie