Help in dealing with hypos

JamieK

Hello

This is my first post and I am the husband of a type1 diabetic, the reason for my post is to ask this community their opinions and hopefully gain some insight.

My wife is 35 and was diagnosed with Type1 diabetes during the pregnancy of our first child, around four years ago. She had not suffered any diabetic-like issues in the past and neither I or my wife have any close relatives who are diabetic so it came as a bit of a shock to say the least, she has never been overweight and regularly ran in long distance competitions before our first child (and diabetes) came along.

We also have a baby boy 10 months old and I am bessed to say they are both healthy and happy.

The purpose of my post is to ask for opinions on my wife's behaviour during hypos, I have searched this forum an the Internet at large without finding any meaningful answers to my questions.

My wife rarely has hypos during the day, in which she is an account manager for a university which requires her to drive to and from her clients place of work. Ms of her hypos happen a night and are are infrequent, I would say hypos occur once every couple of months or so.

I recognise my wife is having a hypo when she becomes restless in bed and sweaty, this is where the problems start for me. I usually give her a little nudge and turn the bedside light on, explaining I think she is having a hypo to which she always says "I'm fine" and refuses to take a sugar reading. I then get a glucose tablet from a box I keep in the bedroom and offer it to her, to which she then pushes my hand away saying she is fine.

She says stuff then doesn't make sense and five or ten minutes go by with her refusing to accept she is having a hypo, all the time becoming more sweaty and incoherent. This is extremely distressing for me as I cannot understand why she refuses to have a drink or take the glucose tablet.

This happened again around 5am this morning and the kids were wanting to come into the bedroom and cuddle with us like we do each morning but I didn't want to let them see their mum in a hypo so I took them downstairs. My wife continued to refuse any form of sugar and I had to call her mum to come over and look after the kids whilst I tried to coax my wife into taking a drink or a tablet, it was all very upsetting indeed.

Does anyone else have any examples or advise what I should do, or why she refuses to believe she is having a hypo, I wod really appreciate any comments at all and thank you to all in advance, the bravery of diabetics truly humbles me as the effects of this terrible disease are often overlooked by society.

Mrspuddle

Hi Jamie k you have my sympathy as I behave exactly as your wife does when hypo! The reason? I have no idea, hypos do not help you to be logical. You could try testing her blood and showing her the results and see if that registers or make her believe you are treating her breakfast in bed with a big glass of orange juice!! Best of luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Truly difficult one to answer Jamie as you say these hypo's are infrequent, does your wife recall the hypo's the next day when they happen and is she aware that she refuses to test or take glucose?

TBH this is something that her diabetes team might be able to address with her, some people with diabetes do become unresponsive when hypo but I don't know what the solution is.

Lol77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Same here. Logic goes out the window and you should just try to make her take some sugar in whatever form you can. My friends have told me that I do exactly the same and I've just asked them to force the issue and make me eat something. Easier said than done I know but you must try. Hope that helps.

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jamie, it seems this is more common than we all might think, as I also do this. I have had 2 severe hypos in my sleep, and seem to have lost my awareness of them during the night. My other half has a couple of times now asked me what he should do when he too nudges me and I 'refuse' to wake up to test / acknowledge somethings not quite right. I have said for him to REALLY insist and failing that, to check it for me. Although I don't think he's confident in using the meter, even though ive shown him so many times. It's not about not wanting to wake up, may I add. I regularly set alarms now to wake me during the night to test, and on 2 occasions it's been going low and I've picked up the fruit pastilles packet, yet my other half has in the morning found the packet unopened by me on the bed. I really would suggest testing it for her and if low, do whatever you can to make right - even if yhis means potentially pissing her off.....I'm sure the next day she'll be more happy to be safe and alive than ****** off. I understand it's hard for 'partners of' though.