Would clinic give me another pen?

victry77

Hi, quick question.I've been using the Novorapid demi pen with penfill catridges for a year now. I was thinking that it's really worth getting a second pen just in case of loss or damage. Would I need to buy one of these myself or would my diabetes clinic be likely to provide me with another one? I don't mind buying if I have to, but if I could get another for free that would obviously be great.

Anyone have any ideas?

Linda Cundall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I asked my GP for another pen, no problem. You need back-up of all pens and BG meters,I rang the company who supplied the meter as I was going on holiday, another one arrived in the post the next day, If you have a problem it willl be sods law it will happen on a bank holiday or some such time, Good luck

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have multiple pens, seems they throw them at me!

victry77

Thanks peeps!

So is this the actual diabetes clinic you're getting them from or your GP? I think I'll enquire at my clinic because I don't actually have any dealings with my GP regarding my D.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
My diabetes clinic gave me a letter to give to my GP to put on prescription. They just write 2 pens etc. Good luck !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had pens from both clinic and GP over the years. I just ask my GP for a pen and he gives me a prescription, but he's good like that. Obviously he knows I'm taking insulin and which pens are suitable.

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
You should always have two pens , 1 in case 1 doesn't work properly. MY DSN tells me you should renew them every two years to make sure everything is working properly.

LaughingHyena

It's defiantly worth keeping a spare one to hand. There have been a times when I've left my kit at a friends and once at pizza hut :crazy: and have needed the back up pens.

The clinic at the hospital keep a stock and have handed them out when they suggested moving to half units. I also have them on my repeat prescription, though I've never needed to request one.

victry77

Great, thank you. Definitely agree that you should have at least two pens. I was just going to buy one then I realised I might be able to just get one from the clinic. I'll phone them tomorrow and see if I can get hold of one.

Thanks for the help :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello victry77.

If you collect any of your Diabetes stuff via any GP surgery prescriptions ?
As an extra thought for you . :idea:

It may be worth mentioning this to the diabetes clinic - as any changes can then be amended for you .

Then any further new pen needs can be issued to you via your GP's prescriptions along with your
other Diabetes stuff you will need .

My GP's always amend my script diabetes needs including my new pens [ Classic Autopen by owenmumford ]
These can just suddenly go after months of usage so I can have them as per my own needs :thumbup:
Had to have 3 new ones up to now !

Please do let us know how things go tomorrow for you . :)

Anna .

victry77

Sorry I didn't get back to thank you for your advice, anna. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond :thumbup:

However, I still haven't got my back up Novopen. GP had no problem giving me a presription for another one. However, a month after putting the prescription in at my pharmacy the pen continues to come up as unavailable on their system. Back when I first put in the prescription and it was coming up as unavailable, the chemist said they would phone the manufacturer to find out what the problem was and for me to get back to them. Well, I got back to them today as I was putting in my repeat and they just said that they keep putting the order in but nothing is coming back on their system. They clearly hadn't made any enquiries about this as they said they would, but either way, still can't get my pen.

Does anyone have any clue what the issue might be?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
victry77 said:
Sorry I didn't get back to thank you for your advice, anna. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond :thumbup:

However, I still haven't got my back up Novopen. GP had no problem giving me a presription for another one. However, a month after putting the prescription in at my pharmacy the pen continues to come up as unavailable on their system. Back when I first put in the prescription and it was coming up as unavailable, the chemist said they would phone the manufacturer to find out what the problem was and for me to get back to them. Well, I got back to them today as I was putting in my repeat and they just said that they keep putting the order in but nothing is coming back on their system. They clearly hadn't made any enquiries about this as they said they would, but either way, still can't get my pen.

Does anyone have any clue what the issue might be?

The NovoPen Echo delivers insulin in half unit doses, I just got one two weeks ago as a back-up and had no problems:

http://www.novonordisk.com/diabetes_car ... efault.asp

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
victry77 said:
Thank you. Can I use the same penfill cartridges that are used in the demi?

The NovoPen Echo takes the Novorapid Penfill 3ml cartridges.