Dvla renewal forms

Elc1112

My licence expires in November and I have just received the renewal forms. The forms seem to have changed since I last applied (or maybe I have just forgotten what the last one asked) and I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you'll be able to help me with.

The form asks if I have any condition affecting both eyes, excluding long or short sight or colour blindness. I have background retinopathy and have done for a few years now. Have others disclosed this?

Secondly, the form asks if I have ever had an episode of hypoglaecemia. If then goes on to ask if I have ever had a severe hypo and if I am hypo aware. I don't remember being asked in the past about hypos in general, just severe ones that have required assistance. I am worries that if I tick the box to say that I have hypos I will have my licence revoked. I have never required assistance and have very good hypo awareness. What have others done here and what has been the outcome?

Many thanks in advance. I completely understand the need for these forms but I hate them. They panic me far too much!

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say anything about background retinopathy as it doesn't affect your vision and it might never become more than background - might even go into remission. As long as you can meet the eyesight requirements for driving. I think if you'd had laser or cataracts then they'd ask for your vision to be tested.

I have answered YES to having a hypo on the form before (to no ill effect). I'm sure that no Type 1 could answer NO to that one.

Good luck - sure it will be OK

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Like Rob says unless the retinopathy progresses and treatment is required then I don't think you need to inform them, might be worth checking mind just to be on the safe side.

Severe hypo's for DVLA purposes is one which requires third-party assistance, no-one who is type 1 can avoid hypo's completely so personally I would be honest about them, if you state your hypo awareness is intact I can't see the problem myself.

My own licence is up early next year so will have these new forms to fill in myself........oh joy :roll:

Elc1112

Thanks both. I am of the same mind on the eyes front. As I said, I was a little worried about the hypo stuff but I do think you're both right. As long as I tell them I have good hypo awareness and so on I should, fingers crossed, be just fine. I just hate these forms!

andrewkoudr

The new standard says that if you have had TWO severe hypos for the last year, they should revoke license for a year starting from the date of the FIRST HYPO. If you had ONE, they may not revoke license. I mean you will be able to apply for license again, not automatically renewed. So, the standard is no more than ONE severe hypo per year.

Elc1112

Thankfully, I have never had a hypo that has required assistance. I become symptomatic at around 4.5ish. Even during the night I wake up in the high 3s.

I spoke to the DVLA about the background retinopathy. They said that I do need to disclose this. I'd always been told by the hospital that I didn't have to disclose background. Anyway, another DVLA hurdle to jump!