How long after eating should I test?

FatFred1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently had to start BMG - Type 2 & until recently diet controlled, but the Nurse at my practice has now told me to start taking Gliclazide in the mornings - 20mins before food & then I have to test every time just before I get behind the wheel of my car :shock:
my dilemma is this

My alarm goes off at 6.30am - need to leave home by 7.30am to get to work for 7.50am
if I'm to take my meds 20mins before food ie 6.30am - eat b'fast at 6.50am, how long should I leave it before I test my levels to check am okay for driving? Have read some posts that say an hour, others say 2 - but the last thing I want is to have to get up at 4am (exaggeration, I know) in order to get to work on time...... :crazy:

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 on Glicazide 2.5 and Metformin 3 per day. I never tested before driving when working as the rule was not in at that time. And are you sure it applies to type 2 ?
It really depends on what you have for breakfast as food will increase Blood Sugar and Glicazide reduce it so it should cancel out.
How long is your journey to work is another factor of course, and do you get symptoms if your blood sugar drops too low. I feel a bit cold and shaky when mine hoots too low and so I can tell.
I always drive with some cereal bars in my glove box just in case on long journeys.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: FatFred1

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always test within half an hour before setting out to drive and then every two hours if driving a long distance.