Swimming

Concernd-mam

My 7 year old daughter who is type 1 is starting swimming lessons tomorrow and I'm a little nervous just in case her blood sugars drop when she is in the water but I have been advised to give her chocolate before the lesson starts but I am a little nervous tho....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
swimming does cause me a drop in levels so good idea to have carbs before hand, obviously if not too high first. Chocolate, (not very healthy lol) should act as a medium acting carb and a nice treat also should do the trick. I always keep a bottle of lucozade pool side just in case.

CambridgeLass

Hi. How long are the lessons? My 7 yo has weekly half hr lessons. I always test before she goes and judge if she needs anything beforehand. Never had any problem. Effects usually come in the evening before bed for us. In summer she swims at school mid morning, tests before and has a Frube pouch after. x

hbw

Hi there,
My daughter is also 7 and she started swimming with the school last week. She also does a 30 minute lesson on a Saturday morning also at the local baths and I go with her. Her levels are typically fine and I usually just give her some pringles or a biscuit afterwards.
For school, as she does her lessons at 9.30am .... I adjust her breakfast insulin. She's usually on 1:12.5 but if her blood is less than 6 on waking (which on a normal day is ideal) I change the ratio slightly (to 1:15) so she's not running too low for her lesson. Then she has a couple of biscuits and a drink when the lesson is over .. sometimes it pushes her levels a little higher at lunchtime but she had a nasty hypo once when attending a swimming party which scared me - she was 9 before she went in and half way through she looked at me and said she felt funny (I was sat right at the side of the pool watching her every move!) and her blood had dropped to 1.8 which is her lowest hypo yet. So, this approach of keeping her blood slightly higher before her lesson makes me feel more comfortable for when I am not with her.

Hope this helps. I am sure she will have a great time. Let us know.

Concernd-mam

Thanks all her swimming lesson went fine :) it was the diabetic nurse that told me to give her chocolate before her lesson so that's what I did and now her favourite part of going swimming is aving the chocolate lol her lessons are once a week and they are half hour classes and her bloods were fine after aswell so I feel confident in taking her every week now :)