sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: NEW DIABETIC GONE OFF THE RAILS STRUGGLING

hi ,

the only thing with that julie ,is i am 17st ib weight , obese and this wont make me loose any weight .i am struggling a lot now, ive just lost the plot i dont understand all this its not sinking into my head , i just might as well eat how i used to , bacon sausage ,ect

julie54

I understand that you are overweight - the vast majority of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics are (I know that this isn't always the case, but the majority are) - but any weight loss/improvement in blood glucose levels is going to take time. Diabetes does not come overnight - obesity doesn't happen overnight - it has been a slow process which has crept up on all of us. But you are two weeks into diagnosis and I ask you to read my post again - you need to slow down and not expect results overnight. It took a long time to become obese - it will take a long time to lose weight. But two weeks in is not going to resolve the problem. And to end your post by saying that you might as well eat as you used to - well that is your choice - but would be an unwise one. Slow down - stop panicking - and realise that this is not a quick process - it takes time, some patience, a bit of research and a determination to change your lifestyle.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

:D
thanks julie much appreciated

for dinner i had 3 egg omlette with onion and meat init ,,, it was yummy is this a protein ????

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

if i have weetabix or 2 wholemeal grain bread toasted for breakfast , and 2 hours later my blood is in the range of 5.5 does this mean i canhave this for breakfast and im talerating it ,
i love my weetabix and toast for breakky :D

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

oh wow netty your bs drops , so can you eat high carbs like that ???

Netty70

Don't know really its the first food ive found that would cause me to have a hypo every morning if I wasn't careful
Love weetabix too :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

elaine77

I love Weetabix too but apparently they release carbs very very slowly so I would imagine if u inject fast acting insulin to cover them the insulin would kick in a lot quicker than the carbs would be broken down into glucose which may cause the hypo?

I'm not on insulin yet so I don't really understand it, I'm struggling to get my head round how to inject for carbs because depending on their GI or GL that would surely have an effect on dosage and injecting times?

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

HI ELAINE
my hubby is a diabetic and he is on lanctus and nova rapid , his blood was always in the 17 18 region , and eat what he liked becasue he didnt really understand it ,
since i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago , and trying real hard , with diet controlled food low carb ect sometimes GI food not a lot ,
my husband is doing it also , and his bs has come down to in the single figures 6,7,8, but we have to consult his diabetic doc so im wondering if he will lower the dose of his injections

im diet controlled no meds yet , i hope i donthave to go on them but maybe one day i will its a hard struggle , i have just been for 20 min walk , i havent walked in 5 years due to a back problem and i have lost 10lbs in weight , i am a big woman 17st , so i must be doing something right ,,hahahahaha

Davedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Also something to bear in mind when you have high reading is how fast your body can get to and absorb the carbs as some foods cause a spike effect as in a high reading over a short time which you dont want you want a consistent level if possible easier said than done but eating high fibre veg etc can slow down how fast your body can absorb those carbs. for example eat a potato on its own with no skin on thats fast carbs so will show a spike in your readings eat the same potato with the skin on its slower carbs as the body has to break down the skin which contains a lot of fibre and this will show a more gradual effect its important to understand this before worrying about your readings its complicated but if unsure have a word with your diabetic nurse. Most foods etc you can eat just dont go crazy with foods and things with high sugar or carbs reduce the amount and frequecy its important to do this as then the little treats stop the cravings which will get you into trouble. Also if you have not been invited to attend a Desmond course you need to have a word with your doctor as this will teach you a lot about managing your condition.

Hope this helps :wink: