sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: NEW DIABETIC GONE OFF THE RAILS STRUGGLING

[/bandy do you mean some people have 20 carbs a day and some 200 day ,,,, ?????? but isn't it right to have low carbs so you don't put any weight on ,,, and the daily limit is 30g ? os is it up to 30g in packages im getting confuzzled lol

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I think a good book on Low GI carbs/Low Carbs would be good for you to start with.

There is no 'official 'carb limit

Different people try different things.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46914

Have a read through the comments in the thread above. Some people don't think about carbs at all

Keep a food diary with any results you have and make a start on weight loss

I've been making an effort for about 6 weeks and I already feel better

Cara

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

well I need to see someone to be honest , when I was diagnosed last week , I saw the diabetic nurse , and she said she doesn't want me to use a glucose metre as the nhs doesn't use them now they do it by every 3 months hbac1,,, I got shouted at by my doctor she said she wasn't interested in my blood read by metre ,,,,, but it matters a lot to me , when I see on the meter before and after food that my bg has come down or is at the level it should be then to me it is ok and makes mind mind at ease ,,,,, if I wasn't to use a bg meter then I would be eating things that I thought was good and healtly like brown bread , small pasts things that are not agreeing with me , and when I would attend the 3 monthly hbac1 test it would of been high ,,,,,, so NO I don't agree with what they are saying to mewbies to not monitor them for there own peace of mind ,,,, its just cost me £10 to buy a bgm ogg amazon lololol

andy I get you now I know what your saying , it takes a week to get it all in me head haahah

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

ok next topic , I have been a borderline diabetic for some time before diagnosed as a full diabetic ,, but I truly don't think I am a true diabetic , 4 months ago I came out in a skin rash ,no doctor new what it was even my diabetic doctor , this went on and on eventually I saw a dermatologist , and had a skin biopsy , they come up with a type of granuloma annulare , skin inflamtion , now I reaserched and researched , and finally my dermatologist and I come to the conclusion granulomar annulare is linked to diabeties melliteus ,, but if your skin is inflamed wouldn't it make your glucose levels go up anyway ,,,,, and this granuloma annular make you gluceose resistant ,,, so im thinking at the end of the day it could be the inflammation of the skin rash ??
as my doctor said you wil always be a diabetic now it will never go it is progressive , so is it the rash causing the high glucose or is I the glucose being high causing the skin rash ??????

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

carraway said:
I think a good book on Low GI carbs/Low Carbs would be good for you to start with.

There is no 'official 'carb limit

Different people try different things.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46914

Have a read through the comments in the thread above. Some people don't think about carbs at all

Keep a food diary with any results you have and make a start on weight loss

I've been making an effort for about 6 weeks and I already feel better

Cara
:D :D hi carrie but isn't that the idea of a low carb to loose weight , this is what I don't know what limit to base mine on as I am 17st in weight so surely for now I need to have a limit of carbs for a while till I lost weight

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

ok if you like the sound of 30g a day try that for a while, then you could try increasing your daily amount a little and see what happens, you dont have to though if your happy on 30g but there are no hard and fast rules, i found 30g was perfect for me for bg and weight loss but we are all different im sure there are people that lose weight and maintain good control not thinking about carbs, but for me low carb has and is working :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Andy12345 said:
ok if you like the sound of 30g a day try that for a while, then you could try increasing your daily amount a little and see what happens, you dont have to though if your happy on 30g but there are no hard and fast rules, i found 30g was perfect for me for bg and weight loss but we are all different im sure there are people that lose weight and maintain good control not thinking about carbs, but for me low carb has and is working :)

Agree with andy 100%. i cope very well with 60g carbs (and 1400 net cals per day with exercise, which only needs to be going for a 10 min walk after meals, makes a huge difference).please realise that changes to your Bg will not necessarily be immediate, ot may take a while but it should happen.

Above all, dont panic and spend some time reading here. i know its easy to get the idea that you need to eliminate all carbs but its not neccesarily so, take. Little time and see what works for you

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thankyou guys , I have learnt a lot here in a week ,,, I don't need a dietician with you guys here to help :lol:

I have noticed in a week just walking round the square I feel better and every day is a bonus I don't get so much out of breath , I haven't exercised for a long while ,

do you believe that you can ever be rid of diabeites???a cure

sw11bloke

In sauces, the label will usually say 'of which are sugars' - Take that number into account when doing your insulin dose.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

ok I just noticed something ,,, when I was diagnosed last week with hbac1 my levels were 6.7 so they classed me as diabetic ,,
all this week I have been trying to do a low carb diet , fruit , veg, ect , Weetabix ,wholemeal bread , handful nuts ect ect ,
testing bs before eating , then 2 hours after ,,,, ive only been worrying incase my blood sugars go high over the 8 ,,,, but today ive noticed there not really coming down much from 6.7 on the meter , its depressed me a bit as I am trying so hard here , I don't want to have to go back to have my hba1c done in 3 months to be told I have to go on medication ,
altho I know one day I might have to , who knows ,
but for me its put me straight off the rails again , maybe im eating what I shouldn't , I don't know how many carbs are in certain things like fruit , or yoghurt ect,,, I just eat them thinking there low carbs and good for your diet , I don't eat fat ,

how do I find out how many carbs are in food ..eg fruit , nuts , bread ,

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

:yawn: :cry: :cry: :cry:

where is andy haahahah

andy im stuck , what I thought is a low carb diet , my blood sugars are not going down ,, and all im eating is fruit veg ,Weetabix ect

I don't think I know how many carbs are in anything , like wholemeal bread , fruit , veg , ect I think im eating low healthy food but maybe there still high in carbs ,,,, how can I find out how many carbs are in like fruit , ect

I don't know how to read labels on food as I don't know what they all mean
im getting a failure already after a week

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

Fruits Lowest in Sugar

•Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime

•Rhubarb

•Raspberries

•Blackberries

•Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

•Strawberries

•Casaba Melon

•Papaya

•Watermelon

•Peaches

•Nectarines

•Blueberries

•Cantaloupes

•Honeydew melons

•Apples

•Guavas -- Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar, but information that directly compares them is not available

•Apricots

•Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar

•Plums

•Oranges

•Kiwifruit

•Pears

•Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar

•Tangerines

•Cherries

•Grapes

•Pomegranates

•Mangos

•Figs

•Bananas

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

Low-Carb Vegetables
This list is roughly arranged from lowest to highest carbohydrate per serving, but most are non-starchy and generally low in carbohydrates. Exact carb count depends on serving size. Remember when counting carbs in vegetables that the fiber is not counted, and can be subtracted from the total. For more information about each vegetable, including carbs, calories, glycemic index, and recipes, click on the vegetables that have a link.
•Sprouts, alfalfa and other small seeds (sprouted legumes have more carb)
•Greens – lettuce, spinach, chard, etc.
•Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
•Radicchio and endive count as greens
•Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
•Bok Choy
•Bamboo Shoots
•Celery
•Radishes
•Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
•Mushrooms
•Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
•Jicama
•Avocado
•Asparagus
•Okra
•Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
•Green Beans and Wax Beans
•Fennel
•Cauliflower
•Broccoli
•Peppers
•Green Bell Peppers
•Red Bell Peppers
•Jalapeno Peppers
•Summer Squash
•Zuchinni
•Brussels Sprouts
•Scallions or green onions
•Snow Peas/Snap Peas/Pea Pods
•Tomatoes
•Eggplant
•Tomatillos
•Artichokes
•Turnips
•Pumpkin
•Rutabagas
•Spaghetti Squash
•Celery Root (Celeriac)
•Carrots
•Onions
•Leeks
•Water Chestnuts (note: water chestnuts are starchy root vegetables, but usually used in smaller quantities than other root vegetables)
Starchy (High Carb) Vegetables
The main vegetables to be avoided when reducing carbohydrates are the starchier and sweeter vegetables:
•Carrots (some diets flag carrots as a problem, though they are lower in carbs than others in this group)
•Beets
•Peas
•Winter Squashes, such as acorn and butternut
•Water Chestnuts
•Parsnips
•Potatoes in all forms
•Sweet Potatoes
•Corn
•Plantains

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

i typed in "fruits that are high in carbs" into google

this was the first site at the top

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whatto ... hatveg.htm

thats where i copied these from i hope it helps

just have a google at whatever food you planning to eat or buy

planning your meals before hand is a great idea it helps you shop

not eating fat may cause you problems if you cut your carbs out to a very low level, your body needs to get energy from somewhere, i eat high fat to compensate for the lack of carb energy the diet is actually called LCHF low carb high fat, im no expert but i think you should have a think about your no fat diet :) fat also satiates hunger, so eat fat enjoy fat and you wont be fat lol

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I just gave someone a list of my daily food I eat which I thought was good for me as I used to eat rubbish , I hated fruit and veg , so this is what I have been eating roughly in a day ,,,, and my blood sugars haven't come down altho I have lost 10lbs in weight in 10 days ,,
im slowly giving up , I really don't know what to eat any more

break ,,,,,, 2 wholemeal toast / or 2 Weetabix skimmed milk

lunch ,,,,,,,, 2 sesame seed ryvita no butter just marmite ,, and a small handful of fruit and nuts
/or half can baked beans and 2 dry ryvitas maybe some fruit , orange apple or pear

dinner
cabbage , 4 small boiled new potatoes , chiken roasted /or lean pork chop
2 small framaige frais yoghurts

snack as and when if I do ................2 dry ryvits or piece fruit

some one just said to me if they eat this there bs would go high ?????

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

andy I don't know how many carbs are in an apple or veg ,, this is the problem I don't know how many carbs I am eating I don't know what the amount of carbs are in the things I eat ????

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

do you have a smart phone? theres an app called myfitnesspal you can zap barcodes or search for the foods you eat and it tells you the carbs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

ni I haven't got a smart phone ,,,, but I have apps on windows 8 laptop is that anygood lololol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

2 wholemeal toast = 29.4 grams of carb
2 weetabix 25.7 g

2 sesami seed ryvita 11.6g
teaspoon marmite 1.6g