Should I ask about the flu jab?

dm1983

Currently not on medication and the nurse was happy with my progress so decided to wait six months until my next review.

I know diabetics are entitled to a free flu vaccination.

Do I really need it? If not, is it worth me asking for one anyway?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
no, it hurts

lol

i have had it but only ever got flu once in my life so dont really think i needed it but hey it was free, and i pay my taxes lmao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had flu twice in my life and I never want it again.

I have heard that the flu epidemic that followed the first world war killed more people than the war did

If you are likely to catch it then take the jab. It's free and there are lots of people who would like such a gift.

As a manager in my working life I received a lot of sick notes from people with two day flu. There is no such thing and real flu kills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The flu jab is free for diabetics as well as other at risk groups I think it should be taken by all that are entitled

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Yes get it . I have had flue and it took months to fully recover from . The only time I have felt iller was las christmas when I had septic tonsillitis and was (obviously now) suffering from undiagnosed diabetes I had had tonsillitis for 6 weeks before it went really bad and the it took 3 weeks of double strenth antibiotics to flatten it but was still not right for several weeks after that. I wonder what high bgs would do to the flu on second thoughts I dont want to know

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Being Diabetic puts you in the "at risk" group for flu, you should get a letter from your doctors giving you an appointment for your jab at one of their flu clinics, at least thats how it works here in Wales.

hornplayer

Got mine booked for Tuesday.

I've had flu jabs every year for the last twenty years or so. Originally because I worked in the Theatre and it was cheaper to vaccinate the cast and crew rather than have flu go through the company, mutate, and go round again. Later, because I'm kinda asthmatic. Didn't get the jab last year and boy, was I ill !!! If they didn't offer it privately (Wales. - What can I say? We are the chosen people. ;) ) I'd pay for it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App