Please can you help my research? Thanks

JulianSam

I would be very grateful if you could help me, I am looking to go to university to become a diabetic nurse, currently doing my access course and I am doing a research project to find out more about type 1 diabetics.
Please can you help me with as many questions you have time for thanks. (only 9 questions)
:D :lol:

Thank you for taking the time for me today, I am doing a research project on Type 1 Diabetes treatments, advantages, disadvantages, treatments that can’t be used and future treatments.
Please write your answers 1 – answer 2 – answer in the comments box or alternatively email me on [email protected] and I can email you the questionnaire that you can email back. Thank you.

1) What age range are you? Under 16 16-30 31-50 51+

2) How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes? Under 1yr 2-5yrs 6-10yrs 11yrs+

3) What type of treatment are you on?
Insulin Pen Pump Other

4) Please can you tell me some advantages and disadvantages of the treatment you are on?
Advantages Disadvantages

5) Do you carb count? Yes No

6) Do you know of any other treatments that are available or being researched? Yes No
If yes what?

7) Do you know if anything can be taken orally? Yes No
If yes do you know if it is available?
If no do you know why you can’t?

8) Do you know if there are any possible treatments or cures being researched for the future?
Yes No
If yes, what?

9) Is there any further information you can give me?

Thank you very much for helping me with my project.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
JulianSam said:
I would be very grateful if you could help me, I am looking to go to university to become a diabetic nurse, currently doing my access course and I am doing a research project to find out more about type 1 diabetics.
Please can you help me with as many questions you have time for thanks. (only 9 questions)

Thank you for taking the time for me today, I am doing a research project on Type 1 Diabetes treatments, advantages, disadvantages, treatments that can’t be used and future treatments.
Please write your answers 1 – answer 2 – answer in the comments box or alternatively email me on [email protected] and I can email you the questionnaire that you can email back. Thank you.

35 haha

2) How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes? Under 1yr 2-5yrs 6-10yrs 11yrs+
2.5 years

Insulin Pen Pump Other
Pump :)

4) Please can you tell me some advantages and disadvantages of the treatment you are on?
Advantages
keeps blood sugars in check (most of the time), able to adjust basal rate hourly, more flexible.to do sport/activity.

Disadvantages
not a cure, have to carry a pump with me at all times.

Yes

6) Do you know of any other treatments that are available or being researched? Yes No
If yes what?
Yes, closed loop system being.trialled/researched

Not for type 1

Stomach acids would stop insulin taken orally working.

8) Do you know if there are any possible treatments or cures being researched for the future?
Yes No
If yes, what?
Cures I think being researched/trialled on newly diagnosed.

Yep, what u wanna know.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

4.5 Years

Basal / Bolus (Levemir & Novorapid)

Advantages
Quite flexible and easy to adjust insulin to food intake / activity.

Disadvantages
The mathematics to keep things right is relentless and carrying all the supplies around when going out can be a pain.

Yes, very accurately

If yes what?
Yes, several:
Closed loop system (Artificial pancreas) though they really haven't gotten the software any where near good enough just yet
Research by Dr Faustman which, as I understand it, involves a regime using the BCG shot to give the immune system a kick so that it stops attacking the pancreas. This also has the potential to help in some other Autoimmune disorders.
Research using stem cells to "re-educate" the immune system by passing the patients blood across a membrane which keeps it separate from the stem cells (I think they are using a modified dialysis unit) which kind of resets the certain immune cells that are thought to be involved in the development of T1D.

No, currently nothing available for Type 1.

8 ) Do you know is there are any possible treatments or cures being researched for the future?
See answers to Q6

Yes, learn about DAFNE / Carb Counting but also realise that everyone is different so people respond differently to treatments and also to advice :p

Good luck

/A

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1- 16-30
2- under 1 yr
3- pen
4- adv- small to carry, easy to use
Dis-adv- not discrete, stigma associated with it
5- yes
6- yes, closed loop trials ongoing
7- no possible currently, unsure of details
8- various on going on newly diagnosed patients (but they won't take me because Scotland is too far away!)

faeoj

JulianSam said:

Insulin Pen Pump Other

Advantages Disadvantages

If yes what?

Yes No
If yes, what?

1) 16-30
2) 11 years +
3) insulin pen
4)advantages- discreet
disadvantages size-hard to find secure place
5) no
6) pump
7) not for type 1
8)artificial pancreas
9) ask me any questions you want :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1) 31-50
2) 11 years +
3) Multiple daily injections of insulin
4) Advantages - I take split doses of Levemir, a background insulin, which is active for 12-18 hours (14 for me). This allows some more flexibility when I am very active and need less insulin, compared to Lantus, my previous background insulin, which can have a coverage of up to 24 hours in some people. So for example, I have the option of taking less insulin in the evening because I am much more sensitive to insulin between 12pm and 3am, particularly after sport in the evening. The other advantage of daily injections over a pump, for instance, is that episodes of diabetes ketoacidosis is rare because there is always a level of background insulin in the body preventing a build up of overproduction of ketones. The human body is amazing (when it works well) and this is a very interesting feedback mechanism (fyi - it would be interesting to look at the low carb section of this forum, which should point you in the direction of understanding ketogenesis and ketoacidosis, which are terms often confused by professionals).
Disadvantages - However, with multiple daily injections the problem is that when you have injected that insulin remains active in your body and there is no way of deactivating it. A miscalculation in dosage, or if your body is particularly sensitive or resistant to insulin for a particular period - whether due to illness, stress or someone other reason, then your blood sugar can swing like a pendulum in either direction. I find this debilitating. I'm also fortunate in that my Health Care Provider is very willing to fund whatever strips I need for testing, which is a huge relief. You can never test too much in my opinion. Without it, you can't establish patterns, which is absolutely necessary for me to manage my condition at a decent level. I'm currently waiting on a pump but don't think I'll meet the criteria as my hba1c has always been relatively good. Seems the act of good control is a barrier to achieving even better control. That's frustrating but understandable because of resource constraints.
5) Yes. I also count for protein consumption. If you're good at maths, then this helps greatly with controlling type 1.
6) Other than what has already been mentioned, the research on restarting beta cell production in dogs in Spain (forget the name of the trial) at the beginning of this year was interesting. However, this doesn't have much traction with autoimmune type 1, as the cells in the dogs were first chemically destroyed, rather than being targeted by the immune system. Without learning how to first stop the immune response from attacking the beta cells, then any proposed long term cure will likely fail. I don't fancy taking immunosuppresants for the rest of my life even if a transplant was offered to me because of the long term possible side effects and complications. FYI If you're interested in autoimmunity research, then Alessio Fassano is a good place to start - eg leaky gut syndrome. It appears that food intolerances are heavily linked with autoimmune responses. Our diets have changed drastically in the last 30 years and diagnosis of all autoimmune conditions has soared in recent years. Something to consider?
7) I've heard of other type 1's taking metformin. This may help some individuals who suffer from particularly bad dawn phenomenon. I'm not bothered about taking injections so have no real interest in research that would allow me to inhale insulin for instance. There is a problem of efficacy with this in any case.
8) see Q6
9) Always consider your patient as a whole, not just a number. We are more than an Hba1c. What stresses do they have going on in their lives that could affect their management. Remember, despite what you may learn from your studies, there is more than one way of achieving a healthy, balanced life. For me, nutrition is the key to feeling good and having longevity. Don't subscribe to the dogma presented to you about what is considered healthy. Do your own reading and come to your own conclusions. And don't be afraid to ask. There is a wealth of experience in this forum. Use it.

Best of luck in your studies.