Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I was diagnosed type 2 diet controlled in April and quickly got things under control .Then in June my mother in law was diagnosed with terminal cancer and I have looked after her until she died on Tuesday :(. In that time my diet had slipped back into bad habits and I haven't looked after myself but managed to keep blood sugars below 7 in the morning but can peak about 10 during day. Tonight my sugar after tea was 13.8 . I know I need to sort this and I have no choice. I have cholesterol 5.8 also. Im angry at myself for letting things slip . I like bread ( only have 2 slices of seeded batch now a day max.)
Changed to brown pasta and have it once a week .
Other times its mainly meet and veg with a couple of potatoes. Ive switched to diet drinks .My main problem is chocolate and as Ive been under loads of stress , especially the last few weeks leading up to my mother in laws death I have ate too much chocolate.
So now it's time to get back in control and get my health sorted . Here goes .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Firstly can I say I am very sorry for your loss and can understand what you are going through. Your human,most of us have or will at some point go through periods of grief and mourning and stress that throws us off the path we walk. There's no point in beating yourself up about it because its an easy thing to happen.

The important thing is that you realize you strayed and now are once again finding your way back. I do wish you the best of luck and i am sure you will find help on this forum.

Mark

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Thanks Mark , fasting reading 7.6 this morning and while I know the next couple of weeks are going to be hard I will get on track , no option to if I want to live long enough to enjoy my retirement in 18 years time Pay too much into my pension to not get it back lol.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I am one of those that have to be very careful with bread, at first i couldn't touch it, even the burgen bread spiked me. I found another product from a healthfood website that stocks low carb foods.

Avidlite.co.uk

I now buy low carb pitta bread and wraps that are an acceptable substitute. I would fill it with bacon or cheese and lettuce etc. I also tested just before and 2 hours after food using the SD Codefree meter (I have to pay for my strips and this was the cheapest option) and this allowed me to build up a menu of food that I could or couldn't eat. It is hard work but recording my results and recording my weight loss each week I could see I was improving and losing weight which encouraged me to continue. The biggest thing for me is I cut out sugar all together and just use the yellow top ASDA own brand sweetener and for a treat I eat hartleys sugar free jelly. I am now on under 60g carbs per day ( I do have the odd stumble and have a corner yoghurt) but I realize I will have good and bad days.

Since losing weight and bringing my blood glucose levels under reasonable control (they haven't been over 8.5 after meals for over a month now) I am finding I can have the odd slice of burgen linseed bread without spiking too much. Time will tell if this approach has worked, I had my Hb1Ac last Wednesday so should get my results soon.

Its a long slog cause diabetes is for life not just for christmas, but things can improve and you can gain some control - its just a case of finding what works for you. I a sorry I cant really recommend any diets etc but by telling you what worked for you might give you some ideas.

Mark

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
zaphod37 said:
Firstly can I say I am very sorry for your loss and can understand what you are going through. Your human,most of us have or will at some point go through periods of grief and mourning and stress that throws us off the path we walk. There's no point in beating yourself up about it because its an easy thing to happen.

The important thing is that you realize you strayed and now are once again finding your way back. I do wish you the best of luck and i am sure you will find help on this forum.

Mark

agree with everything zaphod has said

best wishes x

K

Kat100

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss, it is a very sad time for you....hope you feel stronger in time to look after yourself, take care Kat x

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jamrox, very sorry for your loss. It is possible that your higher readings are at least partly caused by the stress if recent events. I went through something very similar with both my parents passing away within a couple of weeks of each other last year and my doctor is of the opinion that this was an additional factor in my diagnosis a few months later, along with being made redundant. Since then I have got things back under control with a little bit of effort.

I can only speak for myself so my advice is given with the caveat that not everyone is the same, but for me I'm still avoiding potatoes, bread, pasta and rice for the most part although I will hve them occasionally but in small quantities. I exercise a lot and I think that is a major factor in getting the levels down.

I am sure that things will i prove for you.

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Thanks everyone . I had a fright while out shopping this afternoon , sweating , couldn't concentrate or co ordinate . I snapped at my husband for no reason . Tested my sugar and it was 5.3 , not low but it had been 10 before I left home. I had a cuppa and a biscuit and it went up to 6 and I felt better. Im shattered now though . Having roast gammon for dinner minus potatoes. Then sugar free jelly.
Ive also bought a Diabetes diet and lifestyle book (CSIRO &Baker IDI) .I ll read it and between that and this forum I will have the info.

LittleWolf

Sorry for your loss, Jamrox :(

May I ask if you were food shopping when you dropped low (for you)? I have had a few false and real hypos in the supermarket. I believe that there is a phase of insulin response to seeing/anticipating food. If I haven't eaten much that day I now eat a sweet or two before going into supermarkets or I will end up lost after getting the wrong bus 3 times and babbling nonsense on the floor again...

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
No but we were going for coffee and a sandwich so I can see where you are coming from . Apparently I can't have a real hypo because Im diet controlled , don't know what it was but it was pretty scary feeling like that.

LittleWolf

I'm diet controlled (as yet undiagnosed) too but still hit 2s and lower..
Could have been it. Your reading wasn't a hypo but yes you can feel exactly as if you are having one if you are used to higher levels. Sorry you had to experience that. It can be scary and disorienting.. Best of luck Xx