Gift ideas - 14 year old

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some inspiration!

We doing this thing called the giving tree for kids at Xmas. So you select a child's name from the tree and buy them an Xmas present, for families who might not have a lot of spare cash.

I usually get someone easy like a toddler/young child, but there are always teenagers left on the tree. So this year I've got my baby and I've picked a 14 year old girl too!

Since there's 2 of them I can't spend a huge amount, but I'm stuck for ideas for a 14 year old. I've been considering a cinema voucher (you get them for about £20) but it feels a bit of a cop out.

Anyone out there with 14 year old girl with ideas of what's popular right now?!?

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Re: Gift ideas - 14 year old

Having teenagers myself - I would stay away from music (you'll only get it wrong!) but what my daughter always likes is if I go to somewhere like Top Shop or H&M and buy something like a bag (as presumably you wont know what size the teenager is) that is trendy but they also have 28 days to take it back and change it for something they like. I know it is a cop-out but my nieces prefer it if I buy vouchers because they don't have to pretend to like something if they don't! :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did think of make up too

I think I might go with voucher, either cineworld or new look etc but something for them to return isn't much use I have to hand I. The present by the 2nd December so it's ages till Xmas still!

I guess it depends on the maturity of the teenager. Some will be glad to just receive something, others I suspect would be less polite lol at least ill never meet them!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.

It all depends really. I was never really a 'girly girl' kind of teenager so if someone had gotten me clothes or a bag with no gift receipt I'd have probably never gotten any use out of them (though I would have appreciated the thought and thanked them anyway). I often got vouchers for places like H&M and New Look, which I was always really happy with because it meant that I would just be able to go and get things that I wanted.

Cinema vouchers probably aren't the best idea since a lot of kids now just download any films they want to see. I suppose it could work if she's in to her films though!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My theory with cinema was that if their friends were going then they could take part, rather than having no money to go. But I suppose a lot is downloaded these days!

Voucher seems the way forward. They can choose what they like and enjoy Xmas, maybe get something in the sales so more for their money!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

agree Clothes and music = bad idea. What about an Itunes voucher? or somewhere like soccar sports? they could get a fair bit in there rather than JUST clothes? I would have appreciated that more as a kid by far.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We live in Aberdeen..... Shop options are limited lol

Lush gives me a migraine, I'd have to send someone else in to get a voucher lol

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Here are my ideas
There are some great baking kits out there. Aimed at all ages, often with biscuit cutters etc and ingredients. Lakeland or M and S

Hat scarf glove and fluffy socks

Stationery set- pens, pencils, folders, desk organiser, diary

Giant bar of chocolate. BHS have oversized sweets.

Body lotion and handcream. Nail varnish set.

Something silly - like a novelty teddy or a light up badge, usually on the tills at card shops

You could always put a lower value voucher with a small gift at least they would have something extra to open

Cara

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I'd give nice toiletries to a 14 year-old girl. My granddaughter, who is much younger, particularly likes delicious smelling soap from "LUSH". Add some moisturiser and nice shampoo.
Hana

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much

I'm on a very low income so always find christmas hard. I struggle with my nephew, I think he 10 now. But 2 years ago I made him a box of gingerbread men and put a set of writing icing in with it. Apparently him and his older brother and baby sister loved decorating then eating them. This year I have decided to make him a Gingerbread House kit, that they can all decorate and put together, I'll probably add some men and other biscuits too.

Maybe you could do something like this? It's alot cheaper than buying a kit.

When I was her age, i used to love Bodyshop and lush.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great ideas!!!!

I might save the gingerbread idea for my niece, she's just turned 8 and will be right up her street.

I'm going to try and go shopping this week and strike a balance between giving something to physically open and something she might want (voucher). Even as a teenager I wasn't a fan of vouchers

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is you're right! I'll take a look this weekend