Somewhat unsettled

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon everyone. I hope this finds you all well.

I am a mid-fifties lady diagnosed as Type 2 in mid-October. I was symptom-free, but it came to light, as a follow up to elevate BP levels, after routine girlie checks. The initial blood tests were to check kidney function, but included fasting glucose and Hba1c tests in the routine grouping. The results that came showed a fasting glucose of 15.6. Lipids were also elevated.

Seeing my GP to discuss the results, he announced that at that level there is no need for further testing and that I am diabetic. All of this a couple of weeks before a planned, extended trip overseas - where I am now. I left that appointment in a state of bewilderment, with a prescription for Diastix, and a low fat diet sheet.

Using the Diastix, I never returned a result of anything above zero glucose in my urine. So, a few days later I booked an appointment to see the practice nurse to discuss how I could be expected to monitor my progress if I had no credible measures against which to judge.

At that appointment I was told finger prick testing was not required as I wouldn’t understand the results. Insulted? You bet your life I was. This was further compounded when she inferred I might not be being entirely honest about my urine tests, and victoriously suggested she do a finger prick test, there and then. This test (post-lunch) returned a result of 8.6 mmol – at which point the look on her face was priceless. I then asked for my Hba1c scores, which she was surpised to note had not been done with the initial batch and commented it odd that "they couldn't have got enough blood to do it". On that basis, although there had been no problem taking my blood, she reluctantly agree to request the Hba1c, but would not budge on supporting self-testing. I withdrew to re-run that fight when the Hba1c results came back.

Cutting now to the chase, my Hba1c came back at 8.8. So, now I have a nurse as bewildered as I was. She could not explain how this could be (a week after a fasting glucose of almost double), but suggested I had probably had something very naughty the night before my fasting test. I mean. Really? Does anybody do that before a test they understand (fasting glucose) and want to perform well in? On the back foot, she eventually agree it could be helpful for me to test my blood, but that really the next Hba1c in 3 months would be the thing to set my stall by.

So, I am now on an extended overseas break, testing myself on my iBGStar meter, which suggests that my readings since inception (29th October) average 7.2, with my 14 and 7 day averages at 6.3 and 5.8 respectively.

I simply can’t get that 15.6 out of my head, and keep wondering if (bearing in mind the tests requested were not fully complete, with the FBC substituted) I have had someone else’s results. I don’t dispute the diabetic range readings I have taken since, and accept my diet and lifestyle has changed for the better.

As an aside, my BP is now back to low 120s over low 80s, so I may have had a bit of white coat syndrome going on there. I have no idea how my cholesterol now compares with the diagnostic tests, as I can’t do that for myself. But, I am now committed to coming back to the UK in a couple of months for new bloods, which is not in keeping with “Plan A”, and expensive, but needs must.

In the foregoing scenario, how would you guys feel? Am I worrying too much about the significantly unexpected initial scores, which seem adrift of the subsequent scores? Apologies for the long post.

Thanks, in anticipation.

saloplass

I am relatively newly diagnosed - March. Also very confused as I was told a few months later that I have already got diabetic retinopathy damage. I did not know complications could start before a diagnosis. But my mother lost much of her sight due to her diabetes.

Thank goodness you have the ability to check things out yourself - we all need this ability! Education is the key, but we need the education before we get the disease. :cry: Too late for me now, damage already started.

You take care of yourself, Without doubt Diabetes..co.uk is the very best educator we have!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi AndBreathe,
Welcome.
Firstly the Diastix. These will not show up glucose in the urine below a certain level (around 10 in some cases as I recall) at which your kidneys leak sugars across.
Therefore for most of us diastix are useless for monitoring our BGs as it reads "mahoosive" BG or nil .
As for the low fat diet sheet, for us diabetics, the issue is carbs , not fats.

"At that appointment I was told finger prick testing was not required as I wouldn’t understand the results. Insulted? You bet your life I was."
My reply would have been "Try me"
"Nursie Nightshade" sounds like the "bog standard" "blindly regurgitate the spiel and don't make me think" species of practice nurse that infests the average GP Surgery!
BTW congrats on the BP being down. I get white coat syndrome as well as trying to cope with "braindeasd HCP syndrome"!