Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
-Artemis- said:
brett said:
Exactly, yes, every right to express opinion but by implying the only way to control type 1 is through low carbing is wrong. If a newly diagnosed person would see that, they may take it to be true.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bret, thank you for this; I am a newly diagnosed type1/1.5 and currently eating very low carb and almost beside myself that my blood sugars are rising daily. Feel like I'm doing something wrong; feel awful in fact.

Hi Artemis

I notice that your profile states diet only for treatment and although some Type 1.5's can manage for a while on diet only/diet and oral meds for a while-it could be that your condition is progressing which may explain why your levels are increasing despite low carbing-I was in a similar position but starting insulin in conjunction with low carbing has worked wonders for me.

Best

Paul

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
phoenix said:
Artemis,
you need the diet that works for you and your lifestyle.
You will need to learn about using your insulin, if you're having problems maybe you might want to start another thread about that When I was first diagnosed I read a piece by a French consultant writing for T1 diabetics
'The advice for a diabetic today should be the model for all people. Nothing is formally forbidden, certain must be merely consumed moderately.'
There is no doubt that a diet high in lots of sugars and processed carbohydrates and fats isn't healthy for anyone . if someone's normal diet contains a lot of these then they'd probably be advised to cut a lot of these things out but that's a world away from having to adopt a very low carb diet .

I eat a very mixed diet, I try to eat a balanced one. I'm able to take part in lots of activities including long distance running (I'm now also almost an OAP but still keeping very active) Other people manage their diabetes in other ways.

Thanks Phoenix, I agree I do need to learn and wasn't trying to hi-jack the thread for that, I have posted here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49643
- but no replies as yet. I definitely could do with some advice though as I am very much struggling and feeling pretty uncertain about things right now.

The only point I was trying to replay here is that low-carb doesn't seem to be working for me as well - and so was agreeing with Bret to be careful what message is sent; as I am starting to feel I am doing something wrong when I see people taking about low carb and their blood sugars being better for it; when mine are getting worse. I'm just fed up with feeling like I just need to try harder... but I am still learning...

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
paul-1976 said:
-Artemis- said:
brett said:
Exactly, yes, every right to express opinion but by implying the only way to control type 1 is through low carbing is wrong. If a newly diagnosed person would see that, they may take it to be true.

Bret, thank you for this; I am a newly diagnosed type1/1.5 and currently eating very low carb and almost beside myself that my blood sugars are rising daily. Feel like I'm doing something wrong; feel awful in fact.

Hi Artemis

I notice that your profile states diet only for treatment and although some Type 1.5's can manage for a while on diet only/diet and oral meds for a while-it could be that your condition is progressing which may explain why your levels are increasing despite low carbing-I was in a similar position but starting insulin in conjunction with low carbing has worked wonders for me.

Best

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you - yes, I am currently diet-only - but hope that doesn't send the message that I believe it will stay this way as that wasn't the message I was trying to convey - apologies if it came across that way - it just asked the question of what meds I was taking when I registered and as yet I am not taking any. That's all.... perhaps I should take that off as don't want to cause confusion? The biggest reason I joined is because I'm currently pretty scared with my rising blood sugars and need some advice/insights - I really don't want to hijack this thread though; perhaps you would be kind enough to reply to my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49643
As I really would like to learn/understand more. Maybe you could help me understand what you take and how you feel since starting it on there? It would be very much appreciated....

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Most of the medical profession believe in "eat what you like and take a little more medication."
I think that's the road to complications and early death. In the ACCORD study, it was found that tight control of BG led to excess deaths. How did they achieve the tight control? By many drugs in high doses. HNo-one has done a very large long term study on low cqarbs, although there are some excellent smaller ones. Plus the evidence of the Johns Hopkins use of Ketogenic diet for intractable epilepsy, which is now nearly a century old.
I've been told by dieticians that carbs are essential, but I've NEVER found any evidence and dieticians can't/won't supply it.
Thus I'm a low carber. 10 years down the line on minimal Metformin only and QA1c in the5%s.A genetic T2. I wish I could get down to the 4s.
Hana

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dafne ~ used by the medical professions dose adjusting for normal eating. No one recommends eating what you like. Anything, eaten in excess leads to problems.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I'm glad that others have pointed out that low carb isn't for everyone. If it works for you great but It just does not work for me. I have tried a low carb diet but my control goes out of the window then.
With a normal carb intake I manage good control and very stable levels.

hanadr - I agree in part with your argument that if you can control it with diet (and it doesn't impact too much on your life) then that is great. However, for those of us with type 1 we will always have to take insulin one way or another. Plus my understanding is that carbs are essential but you can survive on a small amount.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HNo-one has done a very large long term study on low cqarbs, although there are some excellent smaller ones.
Got it - you have no evidence, therefore you are automatically right.
Plus the evidence of the Johns Hopkins use of Ketogenic diet for intractable epilepsy, which is now nearly a century old.
Unless you happen to have epilepsy and diabetes that study is completely irrelevant.

Thus I'm a low carber. 10 years down the line on minimal Metformin only and QA1c in the5%s.A genetic T2. I wish I could get down to the 4s.
Why do you post in the T1 forum when you admit that your experience is completely irrelevant to the readers?

AdamAdam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Engineer88 said:
Is it just me who thinks maybe this shouldnt be in the type one forum? no matter how low carb we go we still need insulin and we can control Bgs with moderate carbs and insulin.... I just dont get it? :***:

I advise your to read Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Dr Bernstein's doing pretty well on the regime for a man of his years-I'm hoping for a similar outcome myself and things are going well so far. :)

AdamAdam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
warden01 said:
Please can you explain on what you are basing that opinion?

Warden01 there are no essential carbohydrates in life, our ancestors rarely had access to carbs, on the other hand there are essential amino and fatty acids that need to met and our ancestors had full access to meat and fish and nuts. We have a lot to learn from them as their diet is far better than ours. If our diet is so nutritious and healthy why are we all so fat? diabetic? and still growing in number, these problems never existed in their time. Don't fall in the blame game 'its your fault for not moving enough!'.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I must not be understanding, I am a type 1 diabetic who has never been over weight. How exactly do you propose I stop using insulin? Are you saying a carb free diet would 'fix' me? I call bull.

AdamAdam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Engineer88 said:
Sorry I must not be understanding, I am a type 1 diabetic who has never been over weight. How exactly do you propose I stop using insulin? Are you saying a carb free diet would 'fix' me? I call bull.

No Engineer88, you made something up that I have never stated. I have never said a type 1 diabetic can stop injecting insulin, have I? And I never suggested carb free. Please get your facts correct, its clearly states low carb! A low carb diet wont fix you but it will reduce the amount of insulin you need and stabilise your blood sugars!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies I was going from your previous post about our ancestors. Having read up briefly on Bernstein and having previously followed low carb I would rather take a bit more insulin.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree going low carb would reduce insulin amounts, but, have to disagree only by doing that would stabilise sugar levels as suggested.
I'm not low carbing and my sugar levels are perfectly stable.

By having less insulin there is less margin of errors due to inaccurate dosage such as carb counting/gi content etc and also reduces other factors being problematic such as further errors due to activity, stress etc. so, by injecting smaller quantities there is smaller margins of error.
I am very confident with carb counting, know how different activities effect me from recording. Just because I don't low carb by no way am I suggesting that I overeat and eat anything in site. I eat many of the healthy no/low carb foods as low carbers do, just with more carbs lol.
Another point to add is by low carbing, naturally you should loose weight (also not going over calorific content with other foods). I have no weight spare to loose.
Also suggesting low carbs is a bit misleading as many people simply reduce carbs to loose weight/control levels. One persons idea of low carbs, may be another persons idea of high carb.
in the long run, simply do what works for you that you can sustain for life.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
brett said:
Agree going low carb would reduce insulin amounts, but, have to disagree only by doing that would stabilise sugar levels as suggested.
I'm not low carbing and my sugar levels are perfectly stable.

By having less insulin there is less margin of errors due to inaccurate dosage such as carb counting/gi content etc and also reduces other factors being problematic such as further errors due to activity, stress etc. so, by injecting smaller quantities there is smaller margins of error.
I am very confident with carb counting, know how different activities effect me from recording. Just because I don't low carb by no way am I suggesting that I overeat and eat anything in site. I eat many of the healthy no/low carb foods as low carbers do, just with more carbs lol.
Another point to add is by low carbing, naturally you should loose weight (also not going over calorific content with other foods). I have no weight spare to loose.
Also suggesting low carbs is a bit misleading as many people simply reduce carbs to loose weight/control levels. One persons idea of low carbs, may be another persons idea of high carb.
in the long run, simply do what works for you that you can sustain for life.

We'll said Brett

hi

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm surprised when I hear that low carbing leads to worse glycemic control, perhaps it's because people incorrectly assume that you don't need to inject when you don't eat carbs. Eating any moderate portion of any food, containing carbs or not, will cause an increase in BGs, and will therefore require some bolus insulin. But, we're all different and there is no universal treatment plan god T1s - if only there were.

That being said, it's not for everyone and there is a very small percentage of T1s (<6%) that can achieve an HbA1c less than 6.5% (I.e achieve a risk of complications at unity with the non-diabetic population) by following a non-low carb diet. It's not anyone's place to judge, either way.

If carb counting works, then great. If low carbing works, then great. It's all about avoiding complications, everything else is academic.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Well said! :thumbup:

M

Maybird

AdamAdam said:
Just a reminder to diabetics- their is no way to even attempt to control BS's except on a low carb diet! Don't worry there aren't any essential carb's so you wont be missing out on any essential nutrition.

You cannot generalise like that and say that the only way to control BS is with a low carb diet. That may work for you and for many others but not everyone as some can eat or actually need more carbs than others do
Every diabetic is different so must find out for theirself what they need to do to control their BS it is not something anyone else can tell them. Yes offer advice but do not generalise by saying every diabetic needs to do the same as you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SamJB said:
If carb counting works, then great. If low carbing works, then great. It's all about avoiding complications, everything else is academic.

:thumbup:

Adam,even those who do low-carb would find Dr Bernstein diet too restrictive, however if it works for you then that's all what counts!

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
I has a almost total pancreatectomy and use insulin. Is anyone seriously suggesting that low carbing would solve my diabetes?