confused :(

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
just had my appointment with the diabetic nurse :( she seemed annoyed I was testing my sugers, and said I didn't need to as I my just be able to control it by diet alone, unless im on meds im not diabetic?? what the hell confused me. I told her I brought my suger down from 18.1 to 5.6 in less than 2 eeks and lost 6lb in 2 weeks . she wasn't bothered, so she sending me of for bloods for 4 time this yr a h1 something witch she said will determine what type I am .. then wrote on my sheet newly diagnosed diabetic for god sake im so confused with this all . same with my friend whos sugar was 25.8 on fri hes being told same he may not be diabetic or any type anyone shed light ?

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have type 1 and have had for 14 years. Although it's great to be testing and you're interested sometimes doing to many can give you an incorrect reading because for example you have lunch and you put in 5 units of insulin then after 30 mins or so you do another one and your blood is 19 and you decide to give yourself more insulin to correct the high figure the chances are you will go to low because the first lot of insulin from your food hasn't worked yet and that's why you're high so after time it will come down. :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi cath99,

In view of what you are being told by the Practice Nurse, I would bypass her and address your concerns about the confusing advice you are getting to your G.P.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Cath99,
It would seem that you have got yourself one of those DN who like to dish out the wrong standard diabetic answers and don't like, being told that the're fundamentally wrong or are prepared to listen to anyone with intellegience who has worked out for themselves how best to handle and control their own diabetes.
For her to say you are doing the wrong things is unforgivable, for you can see for yourself how taking personal control of your diabetes through using a B/G meter has already brought an otherwise dangerously high B/G level of 18.1 mmol/L back to a very good level at 5.6 mmol/L.
I had a similar succession of battles not with my various DN's but with my dietitian when I was first confirmed as being diabetic so I know what you are going through. I chose to keep my tongue in cheek whilst I just ignored my dieticians incorred advice and did my own thing. I must have got things right, as I managed for 12 years to control my diabetes (type 2) by diet alone until I eventually needed to go onto diabetic medications.
The so called EXPERTS in the medical profession aren't always right and hate being shown up by us diabetic amateurs.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lazybones said:
The so called EXPERTS in the medical profession aren't always right and hate being shown up by us diabetic amateurs.

"Beware of experts" was the advice given to me by an old RAF Squadron Leader. He told of an expert who came to demonstrate how to wash the wings of fighter aircraft safely. These are rather difficult to wash as they are curved and soapy water is slippery. In front of the assembled men, the expert climbed up, poured on the soapy water, slipped, fell off and broke his leg on the concrete.

Reminds me of Captain Mainwairing's "I was wondering if you would spot my deliberate mistake".

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hahah thanks Yorkshire man Im hearing you there .. just wish someone would tell me what I am lol x

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi cath99, i don't think you need to be told what you are, apart from well done, you seem to be doing alright and its the nurse who is the problem, your body does not like dealing with sugar and carbs, carry on leaving them be, and you will manage well.

Pompeygirl

Well done cath for your weight loss and lowering your BS. Im a bit luckier than you my DN doesnt actually say much at all. If u can control it with diet thats great! But how will u know if u dont test .. No wonder you're confused! Well done again

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Cath99

Your so called DN should have said something like,
"well done Cath99 you have planned your foods wisely and have been physically active since your last visit. If you can't reach your recommended blood glucose levels you may need diabetes medicines, by the way sorry we cant afford BS test equipment on the NHS"

I am very lucky with my DN, she just happens to be diabetic herself, she does say that a lot of DN's are not fully understanding of our requirements but it is the way the system trains (brainwash) them to cut cost.

Roy,

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP retired recently and the DN has been exiled to our town's equivalent of Siberia. I haven't had anything good to say about either of them but put it down to the fact that the two GPs I used to see were very good but having both left the practice, I had now to get used to what was left. Another GP in the practice told me that the retirement was the offical line but, due to stress, the prevous one was no longer up to the job. However, this new GP too was packing his stethoscope and off to pastures new. Another regular practice GP had also gone a couple of weeks ago, all the way to Oz. The practice had also forgotten about my DN clinic and my CHD clinic. I have had no appointments for the best part of a year. My repeat prescriptions have continued to be issued without the periodic reviews.

If this was a shop, there'd be a sign, Closing Down. Everything Must Go. Thank goodness I have learned to look after myself.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
firstly thankyou for all ur lovley words, and i appreciate them . and to be honeset im just going to carry on doing what i have been and making results for myself the weightloss is good as clothes are baggy and i feel 100pc better, and motivated to keep ploughing on . after my tests tomorrow i have to wait 3 weeks for the results lol so new year i should know . i read a lot about the disapointments with dn on here but never knew until today the rudeness ,and rubbish they sprout, and they wonder why peole don't want to know about diabities, i wont mine to lower so i can have my operation next yearfingers crossed but big thankyou to you all xxxxx :clap: