University!

Akash

So im applying for university this year to start this september although im sure i will get a lot of information about how to deal with it at Uni just wanna know if anyone had any tips or anything that helped them when they went? Also may be a long shot, but i saw somewhere that certain Universities will give you some kind of benefit/money if you have diabetes? Anyone heard of this, experienced this? Thanks for the help!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't heard of any extra money being given out. You can write on your form you have a disability but I was only offered the opportunity to meet other people with disabilities - that was about it.

I would say buy a mini fridge for your room to put your insulin in (that way it can't be accidentally broken or taken).
Always test when you are out, especially when drinking.
Take your insulin pens with you all the time incase you end up staying at someone else's place unexpectedly.
Let other people know you're diabetic and how they can help you if a problem arises - always carry ID saying you have diabetes incase people think you're drunk when you're having a hypo.

Most of all enjoy yourself but make sure you take care of your sugar levels - you don't want to end up in A&E on a night out!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Kelsie

Re: University!

Apparently diabetics are entitled to funding from disability student finance, I'm in my final year of uni and was only just told about it last month. Your university apparently also have to supply you with a sharps box and you can arrange to be in a separate room for written exams (which I do) so that should you need to eat/inject then you can do so without disturbing others and any time taken to do so is then added on to the end of your exam so your not at any disadvantage :) speak to your university student support about the funding as apparently we are entitled to it :)

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I had a mini-fridge provided free of charge to keep my insulin in and took my final exams in a room with other students with different medical conditions. No financial support but quite a few years ago now....best of luck!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I work at a Uni Halls Of Residence - you must put on your Accommodation forms that you are an insulin-dependent diabetic and the University should arrange for a medical fridge to be put in your room before you arrive. Please do not store any medication in the shared fridges - people can be nosey and won't realise that they shouldn't touch it or remove it from the fridge. Please also make yourself known to the Hall of Residence admin & support team (this may be in the form of Senior Residents or Pastoral Tutors) as if an emergency should occur they will be the first people contacted. Please also let your immediate neighbours know so that they don't just assume you're hungover if you're acting a bit weird. I'm afraid you will need to educate those around you. At Bristol we generally only get involved as much as our diabetics want us to - some need our help occasionally and others we never come into contact with. My only other advice is that you let your friends/staff know where you keep your lucozade etc so time is not wasted trying to find some!

Hope all goes well - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Lucie