Smoothies

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
i struggle to eat fruit as not a massive fan. so bought a blender and making smoothies. i have been using tinned fruit in juice or water not syrup. i usually do mandarin and peach and apricot. is this ok?? are some fruits taboo or are they all ok?

what do you guys do ?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find all fruit too high is sugar (fructose) so tend to avoid and stick with veg. I use fruit juice as a hypo treatment but thats about it. I know its classed as healthy but i actually find the opposite!

MarkTechArc72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High BG readings!
I found that my BG went sky high on smoothies, due to all the sugar content. Although, I did find that I felt full up for longer, and I also noticed the BG went down quicker too, which I am told is due to the fruit only providing a burst of glucose, and not a longer time release complex glucose release (in such things as oats).

I never tried the veg option, but I would think this is a much better idea, since you wont get such a fructose kick from all the fruit.

Test, drink, Test, Adjust!!!

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
In answer to your question Turvell fruit is pretty much a no no for me. I eat berries but nothing else because it drives my BG up and it stays up for several hours! Bit of a bummer because I love fruit. Have you tested after drinking a smoothie to see what it does to your BG ?
Incidentally there's a programme scheduled for Thursday evening at 9pm on BBC radio 4 about fructose and whether it's a good or bad thing. Might be worth a listen.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
if you blend food up it will give you a glucose hit much quicker than if you eat the food item whole. Your basically breaking down the GI of it. Like mash potatos will give you a bigger spike than a whole potato. Also fruit is quite high in sugar. I tend to stick with berries as they have a low carb content.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
same for me, only berries, shame, i loved fruit, it was the only "healthy" thing i ate

collectingrocks

Yes as others have said, if you juice fruits, the sugar gets absorbed more quickly than if you ate the fruit whole (i.e.with skin where its edible). I find a teaspoon (or two) of apple cider vinegar beforehand helps to reduce the spike (well I assume this works!)

Reactions: 2 people