Insensitive Boss! :(

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ignore the stupid, ignorant, insensitive, self-opinionated woman. We all know there are many factors that can contribute to the development of T2, including workplace stress! Rise above it and seek support from this forum.
Jack

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
me perosonally i would go for her jugular and to her boss to ... but insensitive people sadly exsist as my boss bought me tin roses bottle wine 4 xmas i told him im diabetic 2 weeks b4 and teetotal 4 6 yrs ahah so it happens , but just remember you perfect the way u are and just like most of us on here fighting this disease were not different or odd were just sweeter lol .. chin up my love and dont let anyone detur ur day or dreams xx

suewho

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
spiders,
Hi all, just looking to have a moan tbh! Was diagnosed in May this year, at the same time my sister was told she had breast cancer and my grandfather discovered he had terminal lung cancer – so overall stress levels in our family were through the roof!! Took control of my diet to some extent and my Hba1c results came in at 5.8 which I understand is good? Well I’ve had a few wobbles diet wise since then( mostly alcohol related) but the hardest thing is avoiding sweets and cakes in the office. I’ve told my colleagues that I’m diabetic and am trying to avoid certain types of foods only to be informed this morning by my manager that ‘Diabetes is a lifestyle choice and that basically if I wasn’t so fat I wouldn’t be diabetic’
Now I know there are corralations between the two but I am so cross that she felt the need to point this out to me. I now feel totally humiliated and ashamed of myself and my body. Just want to go home, curl up in a corner and cry! 
Hi all, just looking to have a moan tbh! Was diagnosed in May this year, at the same time my sister was told she had breast cancer and my grandfather discovered he had terminal lung cancer – so overall stress levels in our family were through the roof!! Took control of my diet to some extent and my Hba1c results came in at 5.8 which I understand is good? Well I’ve had a few wobbles diet wise since then( mostly alcohol related) but the hardest thing is avoiding sweets and cakes in the office. I’ve told my colleagues that I’m diabetic and am trying to avoid certain types of foods only to be informed this morning by my manager that ‘Diabetes is a lifestyle choice and that basically if I wasn’t so fat I wouldn’t be diabetic’
Now I know there are corralations between the two but I am so cross that she felt the need to point this out to me. I now feel totally humiliated and ashamed of myself and my body. Just want to go home, curl up in a corner and cry! 
Slap her it will make you feel better then take a week off with stress. It will make her look bad

Reactions: 2 people

kerchinga

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your kind comments and Happy New Year everyone! :)
Unfortunately mine hasn't started off too well...been diagnosed with sleep aponea and have to go to the hospital next monday to collect CPAP equipment! Now to ask for some time off for the appointment...... dreading it.... :(

beccathomas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm nearly 21 and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 19 ... I have a similar encounter with a optician saying I hope you have learnt your lesson to lose weight even though I have also explained I have a strong family history. Some people are just rude! I would take it further.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
Information is key! Personally I would have A) pointed out that her behaver under the disability discrimination act is unexceptibal and her remarks and attitude are in breach of that act and B) go and do research relating to your diabetes, highlight what is relavent and hand it in to her and calmly stay that her option is false and that to help improve and make better work environment for all concerned it would be a good idea for her to educate herself with regards to your condition now that she is aware of it.

I generally find that when you calm, use big words and are 'helpful' with regards to this kind of **** people generally back peddle or at the least back off! Generally using the disability discrimination act against them puts the frogs up them and they KNOW they have to back off or keep the gobs shut, if they have a boss you can go over there head about it!

Good luck and I hope things improve for you.
xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

candiloo

You have rights under the equalities act and bullying should not be tolerated. Report it. We have what we call a 'red card' where I work and we say this: Regrettably I find myself unreceptive to your chosen method of communication and would respectfully ask that you speak to me as an equal and accord me the respect and dignity to which I am entitled' Once this has been said a couple of times, word gets round and you never have to get past 'regrettably....' Dignity at work is your right and bullying is not aloud - make notes, dates, times of what was said and compose a grievance.

lilmizkez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally understand about insensitive bosses. I am type 1 which is very unstable I had a day off sick actually vomiting unable to even keep water down but still the next day I went in and then got sacked totally unfair how people dont take this illness seriously and think we can help being ill. sorry to hear about all your bad news hun