Not sure what to do

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an appointment with my consultant in the morning I know I need to tell him the truth.

I thought I had accepted diabetes and injecting after a month being given injections and at times held down for them when I was first diagnosed I learnt to inject myself forced myself to over come my fear and had done well having been injecting for 2 years now 4 times a day.

However 2 weeks ago I stopped injecting and I know how dangerous this is and know it's going to make me ill but I can't do it I've held the pen and my hands shake as I try to do it. My phobia seems to have taken over again think this is to do with triggers from the past.

Feel so child like because I know how stupid this sounds and I know the risks and dangers and chances of dka I'm guessing I need to tell the consultant at my review?

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Hi abs, im by no means an expert in these things and just ignore me if you wish but it I so important that you tell your consultant that you can't and haven't been taking your insulin. Don't be frightened to tell your care providers what's going on and why you are finding it impossible. I understand that you really don't want a lecture off the consultant but at the end of the day he/she may be able to offer an alternative way of doing things. It sound to me that maybe you need to talk to someone about your fears, perhaps this is something that your DSN, GP or consultant could arrange for you. I would really hate to think that you could become very seriously ill when there are people that can help you at least try to overcome any issues with injecting that you have. Don't feel childlike, I am sure there are many people out there in the same boat or who have come out of the other side. Please please please be honest with your consultant, they are there to help you with any issues you have with diabetes. If you ever need someone to talk to then feel free to drop me a message but don't put yourself through DKA when you could discuss your options and fears with your healthcare team. Wishing you the best of luck x

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi abs. Sorry to hear about your phobia surfacing. I've had a needle phobia myself, so I know what it's like. It is best to discuss it with your consultant, as she can help. Perhaps you would benefit from some sort of talking therapy, to help you deal with whatever it is in your past that triggered it? And there are also practical things re the injections you could try - using syringes (smaller, less intimidating, complete control) or some people here have suggested using children's pens, as they are smaller.

I was hospitalised 3 times while I had the phobia, which wasn't great. But as it was decades ago, I don't seem to have done any lasting damage.

So please make a start on tackling your phobia now, and let us know how your appointment goes.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been there, done that, hated it, came out the other side. I spoke to a psychotherapist about my physical inability to push the needle in (for some reason I'd started believing that I was poisoning myself!?!?!) and a tip I was given was to listen to a ticking clock and inject on, for example, the third tick. It sounds really simple but it worked for me. But yes, you definitely need to tell your consultant - don't pretend this will go away on it's own. Ask for help and you will get it.

Hope you get it sorted.

Good luck.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I know my reason behind my fear and have had lots of counselling in connection to this but in still have a lot bottled up that seems to be coming out now. There's no therapies on the Nhs I'm going back to Cbt for an assessment but as it's very short term it's not likely to be that helpful.

I did tell my consultant and he did inject some short acting into me we talked through all the logics of it all he is aware I am intelligent and understand the risks of not taking it. Given the fact I force my pony take her metformin and she hates it I do it because I know of I don't get her to swallow them she will end up with serious health issues. The consultant said he intended to ring my gp's and speak to them. He also made it clear he would treat me once I'm admitted with DKA making it very clear that is the consequence.

Reactions: 2 people

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I am so glad you have told your consultant what's going on, I bet it feels like a weight off your shoulders :)

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is thank you I know in time I will be able to do it again and have to especially as for past year I have had great control. Need to just get on with it and force myself to before I get too ill.

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting problem you have with this but if you stick to logic you will be able to sort it within a few days. First thing is there maybe many theoretical reasons for this which you can explore later at your will but my advice is to sort it practically and the mind will follow.

The solution is this No1 you have to inject full stop. No2 Get the smallest needles 4mm No 3 Load the syringe and attempt to inject

Notes
Make sure you are relaxed and in comfortable surrounding and breath.
You will fail and have many attemps
Think Positive
Break the routine down in very small stages. For instance leave the cap on to begin with and just touch your skin then move onto toucing your skin with the needl cove on. Then move it on further to letting the needle gently touch the skin and so on.
You should notice confidence will be gained at each stage till you finally do it you will always face the final barrier but it will be easier this way.
When you become skille it is painless needle only hurt when a nurse or doctor does when you do it yourself the syringe and the mind are one.
Set plenty of free time to begin with and set goals.
Remember you control your mind.
I hate heights but have to work at height for a living and if I let it get hold of me my legs start shaking thats because I let my mind wander and think what if the tiles slip etc etc

Good Luck

midlands girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI - I am new to this forum thing, but have just read your comments and wanted to help. I was diagnosed with Type 1 about 12 years ago - got past the shock, horror etc. and eventually managed to inject myself (very difficult). This lasted about 2 or 3 months and then one day I just couldn't do it. No matter what I did, my brain was telling me it might hurt, don't do it. At my wits end after a few days, and doctors not very helpful really. I then found a springlock device that I screw my pen into, you pull it back like a finger pricker device, hold it next to the skin and then press the button. This just puts the needle into the skin, you then press the end of the injection to deliver the insulin dose. It's really easy and takes all the difficulty away of actually putting the needle in yourself. When I was diagnosed it cost about £10 and I bought a few. I have used it ever since and it's great. I will see if I can find where I got it from, if you are interested. It was a life saver for me - literally. EJ

midlands girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a Novo Nordisk PEN MATE - you can look it up on line. Really think it's worth you looking at one of these. They're made specifically for people who struggle to do the injection thing... EJ