Adult onset but some issues when a child. Ring any bells?

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
I was diagnosed in my mid-forties, but had some interesting sugar/energy issues as a child and teenager. I had a few weeks at primary school with no energy and the doctor told my mother to give me glucose tablets. I also had an incident where I refused pineapple rings in syrup and said they would make me sick. The Dinner Lady made me eat them, and I was promptly sick! I also had some form of bladder problem once as I child and did dipstick testing, but whether or not this was for sugar in the urine I am not certain.

I lost my temper with a friend who had invited me to stay when I was about 19. He had given me breakfast, but I shouted at him in the street by mid morning, saying: "You're not feeding me I need to eat!" On phoning my mother about this, she said that was down to blood sugar levels.

I had a fast metabolism as a child and teen with a huge appetite. Again a comment from my mother who said I had "hollow legs". I was very skinny as a boy, and later when I tried to put on weight, it was the wrong kind of weight as I ended up with a paunch from too much beer at university.

I think, even though I never saw myself as "fat", I have had periods in my life of being overweight. I actually should be skinny as that is my build and I did let myself go in my thirties and forties.

Do any other Type 2s remember some early blood sugar control issues?

Last edited by a moderator:

sugarmog

I was diagnosed as glucose intolerant in 1992 when I was 31. I had probably been that way for sometime before. When I was in my early teens I used to suffer from excessive urination on Sunday afternoons for no apparent reason. Knowing what I know now, I realise that on Sunday mornings we used to be given a bar of chocolate which I would always eat in one go. (This was in the days when a bar of chocolate was seen as a weekly treat, not a daily dietary requirement). Maybe there was no connection, but I do sometimes wonder if it was a pre cursor of things to come.

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Hi - Lin here, I've been managing my coeliac&T2 quite well until last week. Dont know what came over me but I just fainted clean away & was out for a few minutes apparently, to my shame came around with wet knickers - blush! I used to do this as a young child - about 50 years ago
before coeliac was even thought of and often put down to low iron . Next day absolutely fine and I'd had an ok diet that day - or so I thought.
We're away so its gp enquiry when we get back - anyone done the same - can I put this down to low/high bloods?

ps I've written lots of questons since diag Nov 2012 and only had one reply - is it me? or are my questions too long! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had diabetic symptoms as a child, and when I was about 10 I was asked to provide a urine sample, and point blank refused.
My parents (who were, and still are hippies) always let me go my own way in life, so the issue wasn't forced.

When I was 18, I had a spate of fainting at the hospital I worked at. I was told I had hyperglycemia and to see my GP. I didn't.
I didn't really see my GP until I was diagnosed last year.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi - Lin here, I've been managing my coeliac&T2 quite well until last week. Dont know what came over me but I just fainted clean away & was out for a few minutes apparently, to my shame came around with wet knickers - blush! I used to do this as a young child - about 50 years ago
before coeliac was even thought of and often put down to low iron . Next day absolutely fine and I'd had an ok diet that day - or so I thought.
We're away so its gp enquiry when we get back - anyone done the same - can I put this down to low/high bloods?

ps I've written lots of questons since diag Nov 2012 and only had one reply - is it me? or are my questions too long! :(
Hi Lin, I hope you get some replies to your questions. I do not know enough about coeliac to answer this one.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A couple more memories for you. Drinking cups and cups of water after a morning's lessons when I was about 11 and got to the dinner hall. My mates were content with one cup full.
At the age of about 21, living with an older diabetic man as his tenant and in that period refusing his regular offerings of pudding and custard as I had read stuff about the evils of sugar and didn't want to become diabetic (oh the irony).
Severe lack of energy I think in the very hot summer of 1977 when I was 12 and a friend of mine asking what was wrong with me. (I could have just got dehydrated in the heat, but looking back on it, possibly there were some blood sugar issues again.)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
Thanks Andrew S for your reply and no replies so am going to be content with looking at other peoples probs.
Hope you are sorted and that life has picked up.
I'm coping though its frustrating trying to cope with coeliac&diabetic diets together however a few miles on my bike
and digging in the garden means I can treat myself to a glass of Baileys! Well I think thats ok...... Keep smiling
everyone, we are alive :)