Type 1 diabetic since 1968

Brian_H

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My mum use to inject and my dad would sit across my legs when I wasn't being very receptive to the twice daily torture! I did my first injection on my own on my 6th birthday, 29 yrs later I remember it like it was yesterday it took me nearly two hrs!

wow I couldn't imagine having to do that to one of my kids at that age, or any age I guess. Lucky I was 12 I guess, but I still felt my parents were responsible for years (genetically that is, but no-one else before or since)

Brian_H

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I remember those sets. There was a warning not to let any moisture into the tablets in case of a 'bottle explosion'. Even moisture from dry hands. I was 12 and found it a very anxious experience! A junior doctor told my parents he couldn't see the point of urine testing when I was using finger pick tests but the consultant insisted on them.
Hahaha conflict of opinion between a consultant and a doctor, things don't change ;)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do any of you lovely people have any photos of the old urine testers ? Was it 5 drops of urine and 10 of water , pop a brick of a tablet in it and let it go boiling hot to the touch . Diagnosed in 81 used the urine tester then went on to the guillotine , brings back painful memories

This is the one I had (not my image tho)

clinitestAmes.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Brian_H

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
that's the one alright, but I think I might have had a wooden frame for holding the test tubes, I might be confusing with chemistry at school though :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
that's the one alright, but I think I might have had a wooden frame for holding the test tubes, I might be confusing with chemistry at school though :)

Yeah I'm sure mine had a wooden stand with just one test tube, seems so primitive looking at that equipment now:D

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do any of you lovely people have any photos of the old urine testers ? Was it 5 drops of urine and 10 of water , pop a brick of a tablet in it and let it go boiling hot to the touch . Diagnosed in 81 used the urine tester then went on to the guillotine , brings back painful memories

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Oh my goodness, yes now I remember the boiling test tube!! It's all flooding back now......

iHs

I can remember using the 2 tone grey plastic Ames Clinitest kit..... Clinitest bottle in the middle with test tube in holder one side of bottle and the dropper on the other side. The whole lot was covered by a grey slide down lid.

Brian_H

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I can remember using the 2 tone grey plastic Ames Clinitest kit..... Clinitest bottle in the middle with test tube in holder one side of bottle and the dropper on the other side. The whole lot was covered by a grey slide down lid.

you might be right, that does sound familiar

there's one listed on ebay.com in the USA for $15 USD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281245073472

I've pinched a couple of pics from the ad

I've no idea why they've got eye drops there LOL

clinitest_1.jpg

clinitest_2.jpg

there's also a Vintage kit from Lilly listed on ebay.co.uk (in the USA again, $25 USD)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271362825509

and finally a Vintage Doctor's Field Testing Kit listed on ebay.co.uk , in the UK, currently 1 bid £9.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201025257205

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah thanks Brian, I do remember the clinitest kit in the plastic holder and sleeve and the colour chart brought back a few memory's too, just remember it turning orange sometimes and thinking OH DEAR:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So many memories. So much easier nowadays, don't know how I managed all those years ago having to go through my teens and early motherhood with glass syringes and urine tests.