Anonymous Question Running low at work

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Anonymous question submitted:

So I'm having trouble with my diabetes at the minute, its to do with work. I'm an apprentice at Aldi and the work is like being at the gym and almost every shift i have i will feel weak. I cant be munching on loads of chocolate all the time I haven't got the money to be buying loads. What can I do. Is it avoidable?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you tell us if you are on medication to control your blood sugars to help us offer advice?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I'm assuming your an insulin user and you mean you are running low (hypo) and your having to eat to avoid this, well another solution is to cut back on your insulin so that you don't need to snack to keep your levels up, your DSN will advise you how to go about this.

60yearson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anonymous question submitted:

So I'm having trouble with my diabetes at the minute, its to do with work. I'm an apprentice at Aldi and the work is like being at the gym and almost every shift i have i will feel weak. I cant be munching on loads of chocolate all the time I haven't got the money to be buying loads. What can I do. Is it avoidable?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html
It appears you need your insulin adjusted. Also, chocolate is not the correct thing to eat. Glucose tablets or a sugary drink (eg Coke) or orange juice work faster.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with 60yearson.... chocolate is not a good thing to be eating if you are feeling low. The fat content stops your body from using the sugar quickly and effectively so it takes much longer for you to raise your blood sugar level.

And as others have said, if it's happening a lot you could lower your insulin doses - speak to your doctor or nurse for help with this is you need it.