Lost the plot - AGAIN

Cosy

How can I motivate myself ? Due to a few health problems last October (not diabetic related) I started comfort eating and have not stopped since! I cannot get myself sorted out. I am due to have my six month check next month and I know the nurse will chase me ................ Anyone have any tips - other than use the fact I might loose a limb, I know things like that, does not help ! Also I asked GP to change my Metformin to slow release two weeks ago due to toilet problems but have not found much difference should I try them for longer?or would this stomach problems also not be helped by my uncontrolled sugar levels?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

C

catherinecherub

Take one day at a time, a cliche I know but it can work. Keep a food diary as sometimes this helps and add up the cost financially as well as health wise.
Instead of wasting money on foods that are not diabetic friendly, treat yourself to a massage, a CD, a book. or something that you would really like to own.

I am sure others will have suggestions.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why not try getting rid of all the bad stuff in your cupboards too. Do a shop with only good things (that are good for you). One day at a time.

Cosy

Thank you for getting back to me, I am a bit low at the moment and sort of in denial, but I will sort myself out soon. I did a small shop tonight and did not buy any rubbish so I suppose that is a start. The SR Metformin still not helping the stomach problems so might need to ask GP to review my medication.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ive always found, when you cant help yourself, help someone else, maybe do a charity walk and tell everyone, start raising money so you cant back out, then start training etc, im currently compiling a lit of reasons for my marathon attempt, ive attached a reason to each mile, its supposed to help, maybe you could use a similar tactic, when your in the right frame of mind, write down 10 reasons to stay healthy and put them up in a prominent place, maybe even decide to only eat junk if you have the list next to you, its hard... believe me i know,

the difference between people that can be strict and the people that cant is..... nothing!,

you have it inside you, you have to dig down deep and grab hold of it, hold onto it tight and dont let it go,

the gp appointment dosent matter, do it for you, not for the nurse, what matters is finding the strength you hold within you

make a cosy diary, post it here once a day! im waiting for the first installment from the new you, just imagine how great itll be in 6 months when you look back at this thread with that big old grin on your face

come on...... just decide

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For motivation you might think of how valuable you find your eyes and if you want to keep seeing or rather go blind. Or how you feel about still having a functional brain, would you rather get dementia? And how far can you go in life style changes to make sure you keep your kidneys in good function? Or if you want to feed possible cancer cells to grow really fast by high blood glucose?

Sorry if it sounds patronising, it is not. I am working up to the point where it will be possible for me to quit fags, and the above is part of what I use as motivation.

Reactions: 2 people