Is a reading of 7.7 breakfast time o.k. if not how can I alter my diet to lower it?

suewho

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
spiders,
exercise can make a big difference to the way your body uses insulin. You may find the website 'not medicated yet' useful -written by a guy who's controlled his type 2 without medication for 13 years through diet & exercise. Good luck keep fighting xx

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
exercise can make a big difference to the way your body uses insulin. You may find the website 'not medicated yet' useful -written by a guy who's controlled his type 2 without medication for 13 years through diet & exercise. Good luck keep fighting xx

Thank you for this info, will take a look Sue and for your encouragement, much appreicated x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, welcome to the forum, I've just seen this thread, sounds like your doing great :) i would just like to echo what others have said and suggest the reduction in your carbs is the key :) best of luck

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
<snip>I get so confused re my diet, I do not eat a great deal and never have cream cakes, biscuits, mainly eat blueberries, pears, banana (small portions three times a day) small dinners consisting of either fish, chicken and three veg. small amount of potato, soup for lunch. Do not drink much milk, preferring green tea. Breakfast is 1 wheetabix and a few blueberries, or egg on toast. Any advice would be much appreciated as I feel that I have been stuck at my reading of 7.7 since the time I have attempted to bring m,y reading of 9.5. down. Much appreciation for this site and the information that is given, certainly makes me feel less alone with my diabetes, thank you all who contribute.

Hi,

I've just picked-up this post (been away for a few days) but I'd suggest the bananas, toast, potato, and possibly the Weetabix are pushing your BG levels up. The quantities of food play a part and you're right to look at portion control, but it's more what you're eating that you need to look at.

I've found that you can't always predict which foods are OK for you, and sometimes food that doesn't affect other people can cause your BG levels to spike alarmingly or remain high, overall. I can't tolerate bananas or any form of white bread, for example. Apples are OK and so's wholemeal bread - provided I bake it myself and make sure only wholemeal flour goes into it (commercial 'wholemeal' sometimes contains surprising amounts of white flour). Jacket potato seems OK but (predictably, maybe) potato mash isn't, so I make a swede and celeriac substitute, which is just as yummy and does zilch to my BG. I notice you've mentioned avoiding cream. Because I reduced my carbs, I kept some fat in my diet (including milk, cream and cheese) and that hasn't caused me any problems in trying to lose weight or with my BG or cholesterol (it was 3.3 at the last test I had a week ago)

I'd suggest you experiment with your diet. Take your time over it, and just stop eating the likely candidates for a couple of days, to see what happens to your levels. I'd lay a small bet that, of the food you mentioned, the bananas, potatoes and toast are the culprits, but obviously you'll have to see what else you might be eating. Please let us know how you get on.

If it helps, my BG used to be in the 9s when I was first diagnosed but it's now usually in the 5s, sometimes the 4s or low 6s. But if I slip-up with my diet, I find I'm struggling with it in the 7s and 8s for the next say or two, before I can regain control.

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have just read 'not medicated yet' thank you again, this was a great read and just 'up my street' so informative, really encouraging re self-help process, reinforced that I need to stay on track and pointing me to the pathways I need to take in order to attempt to reach my personal goals in taking control of my type 2 diabetes x

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I've just picked-up this post (been away for a few days) but I'd suggest the bananas, toast, potato, and possibly the Weetabix are pushing your BG levels up. The quantities of food play a part and you're right to look at portion control, but it's more what you're eating that you need to look at.

I've found that you can't always predict which foods are OK for you, and sometimes food that doesn't affect other people can cause your BG levels to spike alarmingly or remain high, overall. I can't tolerate bananas or any form of white bread, for example. Apples are OK and so's wholemeal bread - provided I bake it myself and make sure only wholemeal flour goes into it (commercial 'wholemeal' sometimes contains surprising amounts of white flour). Jacket potato seems OK but (predictably, maybe) potato mash isn't, so I make a swede and celeriac substitute, which is just as yummy and does zilch to my BG. I notice you've mentioned avoiding cream. Because I reduced my carbs, I kept some fat in my diet (including milk, cream and cheese) and that hasn't caused me any problems in trying to lose weight or with my BG or cholesterol (it was 3.3 at the last test I had a week ago)

I'd suggest you experiment with your diet. Take your time over it, and just stop eating the likely candidates for a couple of days, to see what happens to your levels. I'd lay a small bet that, of the food you mentioned, the bananas, potatoes and toast are the culprits, but obviously you'll have to see what else you might be eating. Please let us know how you get on.

If it helps, my BG used to be in the 9s when I was first diagnosed but it's now usually in the 5s, sometimes the 4s or low 6s. But if I slip-up with my diet, I find I'm struggling with it in the 7s and 8s for the next say or two, before I can regain control.

Many thanks, will take heed of what yo said. I will get back on here in a weeks time to let you and all how I am going on. I am so happy to have this forum to enable me on my journey which started at the crossroads. I now have a better sense of direction and certainly carrying less 'baggage' along the way in terms of anxiety and despair............I feel much less stressed thanks to you and all of you that contributed x

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi there! I too have been recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2 - last week in fact! I have also been given statins to lower my cholestrol so I know where you are coming from. I read everything I could and was confused by all the contradicting advice. I was directed to the Dietdoctor.com website and have been following that diet since then. The benefits for me are that I have lost half a stone ( although I know you don't need to worry about weight), I have lowered my blood sugar levels from 13.1 to about 7, although they've been a bit erratic and I never feel hungry. Breakfast is a bit of a downside - eggs and more eggs.
I have limited fruit - blueberries, raspberries and cherries work for me. Hope this helps!

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there! I too have been recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2 - last week in fact! I have also been given statins to lower my cholestrol so I know where you are coming from. I read everything I could and was confused by all the contradicting advice. I was directed to the Dietdoctor.com website and have been following that diet since then. The benefits for me are that I have lost half a stone ( although I know you don't need to worry about weight), I have lowered my blood sugar levels from 13.1 to about 7, although they've been a bit erratic and I never feel hungry. Breakfast is a bit of a downside - eggs and more eggs.
I have limited fruit - blueberries, raspberries and cherries work for me. Hope this helps!

Good for you that you found good advice so soon into your diagnosis. I was given statins but they did not suit me so I cam off them after telling the doctor and now just watch my cholesterol, I take 1 Bio-Quinone Q10 per day and have done so after reading 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick and now I have no problems with bad cholesterol according to my blood tests. After reading your post I took a look at the website you suggested and have decided that the diet will suit me (hope I do not lose too much weight though as I am only 8 stone 7 (5.32 tall) I will see how that goes for me! You have done amazing getting at lowering your blood sugar in such a short time - well done. Today my reading was 5.8 before my main meal and for that had salmon, peas and salad which I really enjoyed, in about an hour I will have a few strawberries and a small portion of bio yogurt (yummy, my treat for the day) I have become quite versatile re cooking eggs, however I still miss my wheetabix, so need to remember why it is I am no longer including then in my diet.! Thank you for sharing with me, it makes me feel really encouraged and not so alone as when I first posted. Thank goodness for this wonderful site and the people on it.

Reactions: 3 people