Sick from work when I got a chest infection after I was put onto insulin. Now on a warning.

bev173

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help with a way to explain how the change could affect general health. I was only off work 4 days.

bev173

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I think I know what you mean but can you explain a bit more. Did you follow company procedure for going out sick?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Yes did everything properly. Was in a period of adjustment several increases in insulin dosage in this time. Sugars were high. I then came down with chest infection. Nurse says could be a link to new regime. Now on a sick warning but feel this is a one-off situation.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I am aware you normally get sick warnings if you have been on the sick for over a certain amount of time. I'm talking of months not days here. It seems a bit unfair that they are so hasty with their decision to put you on a warning being as you have a disability. I would seriously consider appealing as you never know when you may need to take more time out because of complications

bev173

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had 9 days sick absence in the last 12 months. A tummy bug, foot injury and this. Glad you agree it seems unreasonable. I may well appeal but would appreciate advice re how being newly diagnosed insulin and/or my high sugars could have affected me.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Many employers have their own rules regarding sickness and disciplinary procedures so little point in saying this is wrong/that's wrong etc. You need to look at your specific HR policy and see what it says. Diabetes is a condition covered under the Equality Act which does afford certain additional rights/protection. For instance, you must be allowed time off for appointments etc. This does not mean they are obliged to pay you, however, many do. The problem arises if your employer deems that sickness is due to poor control of your condition. I'm not saying this is true in your case, more generic advice really. So, are your employers aware of your diabetes ? Do you have an otherwise good relationship with management ? Have you tried to discuss this with management or HR or similar ? I don't wish to appear negative but you also don't need lots of advice telling you "they can't do that" when possibly they can. Diabetes is a difficult condition to manage but, unless we do, it's hardly fair we expect our employers to tolerate it. Hope things work out well for you.
Mo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking is that you work for a major supermarket? They do this to all staff no matter if the illnesses are unconnected (I have a friend who works for them).

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I'm not sure if insulin can cause a chest infection as I have been on insulin a few months and I expect there are more experienced members that would know more than me, hope all goes well

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Warnings usually are a blank threat if nothing else it will make you feel low therefore be prepared for back to work interviews. 9 times out of 10 back to work interview are done by junior managers carrying out policy however these back to work interviews deviate and overlap policy but who's listening behind closed doors.

Look at the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 which Diabetes is one.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Advocacy/DiabetesUK_Advocacy_Employment_08-10-2009.pdf
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/50/contents

Therefore be prepared and educate yourself I remeber years ago being threatened with Occy Health, I replied lets go now this turned the tables and they sought advice higher up and I got an apology. You have to be sharp and defend yourself your off sick for a reason.

Good Luck