Does anyone else have these symptoms for a hypo?

dianehogben

I have been a type 1 for 32 years, so pretty much used for my symptoms of a hypo, sweating, blurred vision, pins and needles in my tongue, all pretty normal. but occasionally, I get none of those. But I can be doing whatever and my mind will go very very muddled. For example last night. I was working on the computer, putting infomation in specific columns, when all of a sudden I couldnt do it. i was looking at the info, thinking thats got to go in that column, but then just looking at the screen and not being able to work out what I needed to do. Its like my mind goes extemely scrambled, I cant make sense of what people are saying to me, i can hear them, but just cant link up to what they are saying. It is the most scariest symptom, and its beginning to frighten me. Does anyone else get these sort of symptoms?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Yes I do . I think it happens when My blood sugar is really low and it doesn't become obvious until I try to do something that requires me to use my brain! Sometimes when I get like this I can't even find my way into the kitchen to find my lucozade as the house layout seems wrong somehow. Scary stuff
Doesn't happen often now though as I really that first symptom is feeling tired and yawning.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've ha d type one for 47 years and find I am not as aware of hypos as I used to be, as a plasterer I know I'm low when plastering becomes difficult to do when I can normally do it in my sleep lol

Reactions: 4 people

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I work in a busy school office and this has happened a few times when my BS has been 2 or less I find I can't concentrate, my mind feels as if it's spinning round and I feel a sense of panic but it takes me a few minutes to realise and find the elusive dextrosols!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been a type 1 for 32 years, so pretty much used for my symptoms of a hypo, sweating, blurred vision, pins and needles in my tongue, all pretty normal. but occasionally, I get none of those. But I can be doing whatever and my mind will go very very muddled. For example last night. I was working on the computer, putting infomation in specific columns, when all of a sudden I couldnt do it. i was looking at the info, thinking thats got to go in that column, but then just looking at the screen and not being able to work out what I needed to do. Its like my mind goes extemely scrambled, I cant make sense of what people are saying to me, i can hear them, but just cant link up to what they are saying. It is the most scariest symptom, and its beginning to frighten me. Does anyone else get these sort of symptoms?

Dear Dianehogben, It is important to stop this happening. Although frightening - i was so fearful when these type started that wrote a poem about how i felt - how i slipped into strange and sometimes exciting dream worlds that i could not get out of, and other stuff, to try to help me understand. It was way back nearly 30 years ago - these are common symptoms, the reason for them, as far as i understand, is that the effects of insulin lowering the glucose in your brain are kicking in before your usual warning symptoms can get going and protect your brain by raising your blood glucose. The brain starts to get muddled, and, eventually, things can get to seem very strange indeed before getting very dangerous.
It will have happened because you may be running a bit lower than usual, and/or may have had a few more of your normal type symptoms. Maybe also these normal type symptoms are a bit more subtle now, as the years go on....
It is interesting that you are only only just be getting these symptoms - mine started within a short while from diagnosis, and within 4 years had got a lot worse, over 30 years ago. At the time I told my medical professional i was desperate, I was told me this was unfortunate, but was par for the course, as i was so well controlled. I had no idea what to do, even when things got far worse, and it took ages to learn how to deal with hypos. It has never been easy, and there is always a background fear. i met up, way back then, with a group of Type ones, and found that these type of effects, and far worse, and even more dramatic, were always a main talking point, it was good to share and compare.
So much more is known now, and so much more blood testing can be done, and there is so much more advice as to not to tolerate this at all, and to act to stop hypos now. If this has only just started for you it may be reversed a bit easier, with a lot of hard work. You would need to talk to your medical team and check out how to safely run glucose levels a bit higher so you never have a hypo for a while. If this has only just happened, i imagine you may have more level insulin use than many Type ones, so doing this may hopefully not be too difficult. Best Wishes

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even though I'm not type 1, I rarely get the sweats or the common hypo symptoms, when I have a hypo I go all funny in the head and ravenously hungry, and my partner normally knows when I am going in to hypo before me as my eyes go funny and my mood changes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The confusion comes when you don't catch the hypo in time. I still get the hungry feeling and clamminess, one unusual symptom I also get is needing to go to the loo for a pee:confused:

dianehogben

The confusion comes when you don't catch the hypo in time. I still get the hungry feeling and clamminess, one unusual symptom I also get is needing to go to the loo for a pee:confused:

But thats the thing, when this happens I have no other signs of a hypo. I can just be doing something, and then be completely confused, cant speak properly, so there is no sweating, eyes going funny etc etc.
But thanks everyone, you have kind of put my mind at rest as I can see now it will be blood sugar related, and not something more horrid!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But thats the thing, when this happens I have no other signs of a hypo. I can just be doing something, and then be completely confused, cant speak properly, so there is no sweating, eyes going funny etc etc.
But thanks everyone, you have kind of put my mind at rest as I can see now it will be blood sugar related, and not something more horrid!

It might be your losing your hypo awareness symptoms or that they are changing somewhat, the important thing is you recognise the confusion and can act accordingly. Just make sure to test more often than normal if you drive.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also had an extremely bad hypo yesterday. After 48 years I still have good awareness of an impending hypo, as in fact I did yesterday, and took immediate steps to counteract it. It seemed to take far longer than usual to raise my sugar levels and in the meantime I felt as though I was hallucinating. I was watching TV at the time and couldn't understand a word that was being spoken, I was wringing wet with sweat and even though my husband was also in the room he was unaware of what was happening and I was unable to alert him (I felt as if I was in another place just watching on). I eventually came out of it, changed my wet clothes and fell asleep. I'm fine today but it was certainly a very scary experience. Thankfully it's only happened that badly 2-3 times in my life.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad I'm not the only one who needs a pee then Noble !!

I find using my brain too much brings on hypos, so intense concentration and my brain using glucose up rapidly can bring it on, so working on the computer or just shopping, always good to test sugars every hour or so.

A few times recently though I've had a hypo, treated it and fallen straight asleep, anyone else need a sleep ??!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A few times recently though I've had a hypo, treated it and fallen straight asleep, anyone else need a sleep ??!!

I can't say I've fallen asleep straight after except when I'm already in bed.

There has been a few posts of late saying that intense concentration can bring on hypo's in insulin users, nothing is ever straight forward with diabetes that's for sure.........:(

loliver1

this has only happened once or twice - the worst was when I was out walking with friends- I thought I was holding a normal conversation with them but was apparently making no sense and wasn't even responding properly- I kind of knew I was having a hypo and had ordered some food but when it came I didn't notice and didn't make any attempt to eat it! very scary

lallum1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had this frequently when I was pregnant. My doctor had no idea what I was talking about. Everything slowed down and I couldn't speak . I would descend into a coma like state. My husband would think I was sleeping but I was able to hear the television and could tell him what had been on the box,. I was unable to react to anything then it would slowly lift starting from my fingers and toes. It wasn't frightening when it was happening but afterwards I was terrified. On 2 occasions I was taken to hospital. I remember the ambulance men and the rain on the roof. I could hear them working on me but I was unable to react. My spouse on one occasion thought I'd died! I decided to run my blood sugars higher than I had been advised and it went. Not nice and most peculiar. I assume it was happening because my baby was taking more nutrients from my blood and I wasn't reacting past enough hence blood sugars through the floor. I've not had it happen after giving birth.

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow - amazing to read others' similar experiences to mine! That ability to hear and recall everything going on but not being able to react or take part is so weird. I feel like I'm on the ceiling watching myself but can't react. And the brain moves SO slowly but one is not aware (until told by witnesses later) that you are very, very slow in doing things and you appear to be on another planet! I recall writing stuff down once and when I read it later, it was total rubbish, inc lots of squiggly lines that weren't even letters! LOL.

To reassure you though, I can now occasionally be aware that my confusion and inability to do things that are normally easy is beginning, and that is the first (and rapid) sign of hypo, so once you've experienced this a few times, even without other overt symptoms, it CAN be poss to recognise it and treat yourself without going into the dreaded hypo seizure stage. I speak from 48yrs experience! Relaxing control helps heighten hypo awareness after even just a few days in my experience.

Reactions: 2 people

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I have been type1 for 29 years, I have 2 types of feeling when my BS is low. Usually I get butterflies in my stomach but there is the odd occasion, the dangerous one that sneaks up on you, when e.g. I am reading I find myself going over the same bit again and again and find it difficult to see the print. My vision becomes grainy and when I blink it is as though I have looked up at the Sun and see those large dark circle shapes.
It is easy to lose it when that one happens and it can be scarey.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
Absolutely. I've had this symptom a few times, my brain function just seems to close down. I know what I need/want to do but just can't seem to actually do it.

My DSN advised me that it happens when your BG is 2 or under or if it has dropped quickly. I tend to get the shakey hands and pins and needles when I've already had something fast acting, kinda seems like a delayed reaction x

nclemale

Yes but only when am really really low . other day I was a covering manager at a store and I mistook someone for someone else I even said so where's Paul even tho I was standing talking to him . your not alone also had the condition for 32 years