Dislike my Diabetic Nurse!

Beezee

So yesterday I had my long awaited appointment.

The previous times that I've seen her I've found her to be a tad patronising and yesterday was no different, but she reached new highs. I appreciate that she was running late and probably wanted to get home but ...
She sat me down and sighed at me. "Your bloods have come back and they're not good ..."
I interrupted her - "I know that, that's why I fought for this appointment. Would you mind if I just tell you how I'm feeling and you can tell me if they're down to my diabetes?"
She blinked at me. Undeterred I started to reel off my list -
Tinnitus, migraine, blurry vision, tired all the time, too exhausted to exercise, boils, gum disease, excessive sweating and the nagging pain near my hip.
"Apart from the tinnitus those are all caused by your high sugar."
I tried to argue, but to no avail.
She continued "I'm going to put you on saxagliptin. It's our new wonder drug. And I'll see you again in three months. Check your sugar levels before you drive because there could be a risk of a hypo."
And that was it. No advice as to what to do if my sugars were low. No extra prescription for test strips (I asked. She just shook her head.) Nothing about my symptoms apart from an "It must be awful for you"
And when I asked if these new tablets (on top of my 2000mg of Metformin) would make me feel better she cocked her head on one side, pulled what she obviously thought was a compassionate face and said "This is a PROGRESSIVE disease, it doesn't get better"!!!
Whatever happened to 'control by diet and exercise'? I left thinking I'm on the scrap heap!!
I wish I had a choice of practice - sadly it's the 'only surgery in the village'. Where is the support? Or the offer to look at my symptoms and sort them out - some antibiotics for the boil problem would have been nice.

Maybe I've got it wrong and her remit is only to deal with the sugar and not the associated problems? But getting to see a doctor is nigh-on impossible.
Rant over.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 7 people
A

AnnieC

From all the things you say you are suffering I would say that is more than just your diabetes you could have a virus or infection and maybe you should see your doctor

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

What are your sugar levels? What is your diet like? Do you need to lose weight?

There is a lot you can do to help yourself, once you feel better your energy levels will improve and exercise can follow.

Make an appointment to see a GP.

But there is lots of help in this group that can get you on the right track

Cara

Reactions: 5 people

Beezee

Well the Diabetic Nurse said that when I was first diagnosed my level was 120. After 3 months on 500mg Metformin it had gone down to 53. She then put me on 1000mg Met twice a day and my levels are now 75.

Sadly (apart from looking to me as if I was better off on 500mg twice a day) these numbers don't really mean that much me.

My home meter tells me that on a bad day my level is 20 and on a good day 12.9. I am aware that it should be between 5 and 7.

I'm about 2 stone overweight, and am trying to cut carbs as much as possible. But I do have a terrible self-destruct button when it comes to chocolate ... I get my best results when I miss a meal, but I know that's not a good idea.

I tried to get a GP appointment two weeks ago. I was given a blood test instead. I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall! I'm sick of having to throw a tantrum to get anywhere, I just wish it was easier. I haven't been sleeping well - which doesn't help with the emotional level!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
You already know your numbers are high. You seem to know what to eat.

So I recommend Atkins bars for chocolate cravings.

Ask for a GP appointment the receptionist has to give you one with asking any questions, if not speak to the practice manager and say when I ring for a non urgent appointment I would like to be offered one without any fuss please.

I lost weight and I've cut back on carbs and feel loads better

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you know your highest priority is to control the carbs to lose weight. Have 85% Dark chocolate when you do have chocolate. Sitagliptin does not cause hypos by itself as it is self-controlling as your blood sugar comes down. I'm afraid as most of us have found you have to take control yourself of your diabetes as the NHS isn't up to the job and hasn't the money to cope with the numbers. I always bought my own strips until I went on insulin and set my carbs to around 150 gm/day max. Do see the GP for other important symptoms but rather than producing a long list which will result in glazed eyes try to focus on the ones that seem quite specific.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

The previous times that I've seen her I've found her to be a tad patronising and yesterday was no different, but she reached new highs. I appreciate that she was running late and probably wanted to get home but ...
She sat me down and sighed at me. "Your bloods have come back and they're not good ..."
I interrupted her - "I know that, that's why I fought for this appointment. Would you mind if I just tell you how I'm feeling and you can tell me if they're down to my diabetes?"
She blinked at me. Undeterred I started to reel off my list -
Tinnitus, migraine, blurry vision, tired all the time, too exhausted to exercise, boils, gum disease, excessive sweating and the nagging pain near my hip.
I tried to argue, but to no avail.
She continued "I'm going to put you on saxagliptin. It's our new wonder drug. And I'll see you again in three months. Check your sugar levels before you drive because there could be a risk of a hypo."
And that was it. No advice as to what to do if my sugars were low. No extra prescription for test strips (I asked. She just shook her head.) Nothing about my symptoms apart from an "It must be awful for you"
And when I asked if these new tablets (on top of my 2000mg of Metformin) would make me feel better she cocked her head on one side, pulled what she obviously thought was a compassionate face and said "This is a PROGRESSIVE disease, it doesn't get better"!!!
Whatever happened to 'control by diet and exercise'? I left thinking I'm on the scrap heap!!
I wish I had a choice of practice - sadly it's the 'only surgery in the village'. Where is the support? Or the offer to look at my symptoms and sort them out - some antibiotics for the boil problem would have been nice.

Maybe I've got it wrong and her remit is only to deal with the sugar and not the associated problems? But getting to see a doctor is nigh-on impossible.
Rant over.

Feel free to rant - I think you did well not to ask her where she got her qualifications. Ebay perhaps?
There are several things you could do to take control. If you can drive, where's the nearest practice? You could do bs tests several times a day eg fasting, pre and post prandial checks. (If you're not doing this already). If cost is an issue, why not but the sd codefree monitor where you can get cheap strips on ebay. My chemist has told me to bring mine in and he will note down the details and try and get them for the same price. Choose a strict diet, just for a short period of time and stick to it. I chose LCHF but there are others out there who do other things. I believe douglas99 has a low GI diet and is very helpful - everyone is here as we all know how it feels. I also keep a log of my bs readings and write down everything I eat that day. It helps me feel in control. If you feel up to it, you could write a letter of complaint. Good luck with everything!

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
My advice get an apointment with gp and ask for referal to hospital to check thats all diabeties related .the boils are I strugglecwith them but some of it sounds like a virus. Lazy woman she is

Reactions: 2 people

Monkey201

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Beezee, know exactly where you're coming from. I also think my GP d.nurse is useless & patronising. So much so, I asked my GP to be referred to the local hospital clinic (Portsmouth). Took ages & much red tape with the surgery arguing with the clinic about who should do what for me etc for 8-9 months but got there eventually. I was referred 2-3 years back, have been treated like a guinea pig since and tried many different drugs to my dismay & my body's dislike! Some made me sick, others gave me hypos - not a lot of fun but stick with it, I suggest, as you'll get there in the end. I'm also on 2g Metformin plus insulin since January this year. The high levels have all but disappeared - my bs readings were like yours but now range from 5.5 - 18.6 (rare), usually 7-13. Better but no cigar.

Diabetes is a law unto itself. As a Stage 2 sufferer, it sets off my IBS & CFS. At only 42, I have nerve damage in some fingers/thumb meaning I get painfully cold finger tips & wear gloves even in summer/with heating on. My left foot/lower leg has lost much sensation after damage in a car accident because the nerves were unable to heal. That foot also drags slightly now, which I forget and often bash things with it. I often have blurry vision and am very clumsy. I have had to completely change my diet - no white flour, fat, sugar, etc, you know the drill, I'm sure. I am always tired, can only work part-time now as unable to cope with f/t work or any exercise. I am classed as disabled for work but not for benefits! The latest upset is having my 10 year driving licence reduced to 3 years pending review as on insulin - by law, I must test bs before every drive! Life sucks, huh.

I've learnt how to cope with hypos: if you feel weird or unwell, take your bs immediately. As you're used to high levels, even a 7 could make you feel ill until your body gets used to lower levels. Do you recognize hypos? They can make you feel spacey, head buzzes or burns, speech/thoughts can be affected, limbs feel heavy, you need to sit down, etc. If you have low bs, tell someone if you can (it's potentially dangerous), then have something sweet urgently, eg, 2-3 glucose tablets, digestive biscuits, choc bar, honey, etc. Get some Glucogel tubes on prescription - I have them with me & all round the house. You'll also need to eat a more substantial carbs, eg., slice of bread, cereal bar, fruit etc, to ensure you don't just dip back down again within a few minutes. Be aware that the longer you take to deal with a hypo, the quicker you'll worsen to the point that you may be unable to help yourself & will need help to function/eat. I have had this a couple of times and it's very scary. Take it easy for a few hours after a hypo - it's similar to an epileptic fit & will drain you completely, make you sleepy, confused, etc. It may well affect the rest of that day. I don't want to alarm you, only prepare you for the worst! Be aware if this happens in public, people often think you're drunk & are wary of helping, so it's worth wearing an ICE medic bracelet or necklace.

I'm sorry to write an essay but I wanted to empathise with you as well as help if I could. I'm happy to listen or chat further! Try to keep your chin up, as you are not alone, though it often feels so. Hugs and warm wishes

Reactions: 5 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very sorry to say this but you are not helping yourself,please look at what you are eating its not low carb is it,the nurse cannot help you if you don't help yourself,you want poor eye sight,ulcerative areas on your body,obesity,carry on what you have always done ,you won't be driving much either for much longer.
But you could change so much in just 12 weeks,try the Newcastle diet regime and you could be a new person who is not classed as Diabetic.
I tell you all this with love and best wishes.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: 3 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very sorry to say this but you are not helping yourself,please look at what you are eating its not low carb is it,the nurse cannot help you if you don't help yourself,you want poor eye sight,ulcerative areas on your body,obesity,carry on what you have always done ,you won't be driving much either for much longer.
But you could change so much in just 12 weeks,try the Newcastle diet regime and you could be a new person who is not classed as Diabetic.
I tell you all this with love and best wishes.

Sorry 2christine to do this but does the Newcastle diet ok? Been thinking about it but not sure if it's safe or advisable

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

When you had your blood test did the GP just look at diabetes related problems or did they also check for thyroid problems. All of the above are symptoms of under active thyroid. I only know because I have been suffering with the same things for over a year and it have been told repeatedly it is your weight and the diabetes. Last week another blood test showed that I was on the lowest point on the thyroid test. When you say migraines are you also getting pressure headaches when you wake up, this is a classic sign of low thyroid.

Yes, all of them apart from the tinnitus are diabetes related but they are all thyroid related.

Also if you are having issues with your nurse write to the practice manager because if she is like this with you then she is probably like this with everyone. What I have realised over the last few months is that once you have been diagnosed with this condition whatever brains you have in your head are completely ignored by medical professionals, you are 'just a diabetic and it is probably your own fault'. If you don't like the way you are being treated then change it, move to another practice or make a complaint. Each practice is supposed to have a patients charter.

Check out the Thyroid UK website, they have a wonderful check-list that you can print, fill in and take to your GP. I saw my doctor in the street the other day and she apologised for not picking this up sooner.

Also it if you are on any statin you will get these sort of side effects, maybe not the tinnitus but certainly the other ones and your nurse should know this but then she sounds as if she actually doesn't give a **** anyway.

It might not be thyroid but it sure as hell sounds like it.

Good luck

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well the Diabetic Nurse said that when I was first diagnosed my level was 120. After 3 months on 500mg Metformin it had gone down to 53. She then put me on 1000mg Met twice a day and my levels are now 75.

Sadly (apart from looking to me as if I was better off on 500mg twice a day) these numbers don't really mean that much me.

My home meter tells me that on a bad day my level is 20 and on a good day 12.9. I am aware that it should be between 5 and 7.

I'm about 2 stone overweight, and am trying to cut carbs as much as possible. But I do have a terrible self-destruct button when it comes to chocolate ... I get my best results when I miss a meal, but I know that's not a good idea.

I tried to get a GP appointment two weeks ago. I was given a blood test instead. I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall! I'm sick of having to throw a tantrum to get anywhere, I just wish it was easier. I haven't been sleeping well - which doesn't help with the emotional level!

Just thinking about the chocolate thing. You could do internet grocery shopping so it doesn't go in the trolley or make sure you go food shopping after you've eaten. This works for me. I also got rid of any naughty food as soon as I got diagnosed. If it isn't there I can't eat it!

Reactions: 4 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the information about the Newcastle diet from this forum,in 4 days I was off all medication and I was on a a lot! In 11 days I had lost 15lb in three months 2st more .it's not hard because if you don't cheat you not hungry ,but people will try to sabotage your hard work ,when you next see that nurse,she will be a different person. And so will you if you do it.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use the Cambridge diet for your meals their chocolate bar will be part of your diet.

Beezee

Okay - one at a time ... Monkey - thank you sooooo much! You've made me feel 'normal'. Lol.

And thank you very much for the hypo advice - at least I know what to look out for and what action to take.

It's easy enough to trawl the net but there's so much conflicting info out there that it's much better to hear it direct.

Beezee

Christine - you have to be cruel to be kind!!

I've cut all bread, rice, pasta, buns, cakes, biscuits etc. from my diet. I'm existing on salad and cold meat. I don't think I can go much lower-carb!

Sadly the chocolate is the weakness .. I hate dark chocolate, but yesterday I bought a bar of 85% stuff - it's the only chocolate in the house and I know I'm going to have to be desperate to eat it!

My nurse disapproves of the Newcastle. And when I tried to join cambridge my doctor refused to sign the form!

They say I need to 'eat healthy' not crash diet. This is because although I say I need to lose 2 stone they disagree because I am within my correct weight range.

I might try the Newcastle without approval. But for now I'm happy just testing everything to see what effect it has as I slowly reintroduce a few carbs here and there.

Thank you for the tips.

Beezee

Forty Six - oh wow! You could be onto something there!! Been on Thyroid Uk and ticked loads of boxes - time to try and get another blood test I think.

Reading the info on that site really made me sit up!!

Reactions: 4 people

Beezee

Douglas99 - your advice is always much appreciated! I also think my problems are all high sugar related, but I'm going to have the thyroid check just in case.

I find it easier to skip meals than I do to eat. As they keep saying 'it's a lifestyle change' - if I can't eat what I like then sometimes I'd rather not eat!!

I'm slowly training myself to eat breakfast - a meal I've always avoided and which 'they' say is the most important meld for a diabetic.

I'm not going to be able to change anything overnight. For me it's little steps.

Beezee

Hi Douglas.
I'm 5ft 2, and fluctuate between 8st 11 and 9st 2. Which 'they' tell me is in the healthy range. In my dreams I'm between 7 and 8 stone! No matter what I do (starvation mainly!) I can't seem to lose weight.

Three years ago (just before I was diagnosed with IBS - which I don't think I have) the doctor told me I had a fatty liver. Which I took to be an insult! He didn't offer any advice or tell me what it meant. Just phoned up and told me that was what I had. I suspect that perhaps that was linked to my newly diagnosed diabetes. I know what caused that original problem - it wasn't due to weight, it was due to stupidity. And equally stupidly I didn't tell the doctor.
So I do see all this as entirely of my own making.

Last edited by a moderator: