ID

libbyAPRIL

Dislikes
politics, cruelty to animals
Does any one know where i can get some sort of ID i carry nothing to say I have diabetes maybe a card or key ring or do any of the diabetes reps or pharmaceuticals company's supply them or give them away free

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Accu-chek do a travel pack, part of which is a credit-card size piece of card which identifies you as a diabetic.

There are some reasonably cheap commercially available dog-tags which you can have engraved to identify you as a person with diabetes.

Medic-alert also sell some more pricey watches, bracelets etc. that you can have engraved with your medical conditions.

Regards, Tubs.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
ive a credit card size id card in my purse and i also wear a sos talisman bracelet,i got mine from h.samuel but ebay has them quite cheap :)

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I've sent you a PM to a couple of good medical jewellery websites :)

CalicoBec

I was wondering about this myself. I was diagnosed today, with a BS of 8.3 and have been given Metformin to help control it along with diet and exercise. Do I really need an ID tag? If it is a good idea then I will def get one, but I don't want to get one just for show, if you know what i mean?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I have a key ring one.really it would be handy if i get run over and arrive in hospital unconscious,that is about it!!

Trinkwasser

I knew someone who had a Medicalert dog tag on a neckchain.

Later he decided to get a bracelet as well.

His logic was that if he crashed his bike and his head came off the neckchain might get lost.

The scary thing was that I think he was being serious . . .

iHs

Hi

ID bracelets are fairly inexpensive through eBay. What is good though is a credit card size medical ID that can be updated as many times as you like. Best of all - it is FREE. All you need is some stiff paper and a printer - http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

I have also done a wallpaper for my mobile using Word and drawing a shape with a thick red outline, use a bit of WordArt and a text box and then save it as a JPEG image and load it on to my memory stick in the phone. This is fairly good as my phone doesn't need to be unlocked to be able to read it. It tells people that I am diabetic and what to do if I have a hypo. It also tells people that I have an ICE contact.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I picked up a leaflet in my pharmacy and bought a bracelet for £10 which has a red alert sign and my details on it. Bernstein recommends bracelets as less likely to be missed in an emergency than necklaces. I don't think I'm in danger from my diabetes, but I wouldn't rate my chances against some of the local buses ( Drivers fancy themselves as F1 candidates) and don't want anyone putting me on a drip containing glucose. should one get me.

SilverAndEbony

I got a medic alert necklace when I was diagnosed with epilepsy, which I don't wear any more. I haven't had a seizure for over 10 years, and have well controlled type 2 diabetes. So I don't worry too much about having a seizure or hypo. I've never had a hypo needing immediate attention.

But I do carry my medic alert card in my purse which has says I have epilepsy and diabetes. It also has details of my GP and neurologist so they can be contacted for details quickly. On my computer record there is lots more information about the medication I take etc.
I also have a membership card for Diabetes UK which also serves the same purpose.

I believe paramedics check in purses/wallets for any cards with details of any conditions.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Having been present at the collapse of a fellow Health Walker, a couple of weeks ago, i can confirm that the paramedics did search carefully for information.
He didn't make it. the heart attack was massive.