DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
"didnt have a cig from 07.30 for my blood pressure reading"

if you arent having a cig just to give you a better blood pressure reading, surely you are just kidding yourself and the doctors and ignoring what your 'normal' blood pressure is doing? Wouldnt you prefer the doctors to know what your everyday blood pressure is doing?
By not smoking 12 hours before the test just to give a better reading, surely you could be giving the doctors false readings and you could be ignoring a possible life threatening situation?

I dont mean to sound rude or harsh, but why would you do that?

i knew somebody who did the same before her hospital appointments. she was diabetic and also smoked. The doctors always thought she was doing alright and then suddenly she ended up in A&E and had to have a tripple bypass. Because she was diabetic and smoked, her organs started failing after the surgery. She had huge pipes going in everywhere and remained unconscious in a high care unit for 4 weeks. She did pull through in the end and if you speak to her today, she will never do that again.
That 's a good point.. I was thinking that Tigger was following Doc's intructions and that the doc had told him to do it that way.. but that does make a lot of sense.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if the doctors told tigger to do this... then Id understand. But what would the point be if they going on a false blood pressure reading? Surely the everyday smoking BP reading will be the one?

Smoking alone for a diabetic carries high risks.

Unless Tigger is not declaring the smoking? lol

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I used to smoke the diabetic nurse kept on at me the importance of giving up smoking, but told me not to smoke for at least 30 mins before appointment

Sent from my iPad

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ah!! hehehe... do tell Trig pls!

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I did get diagnosed with COPD at the same time as being diagnosed with diabetes

Sent from my iPad

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i used to smoke for 10 years and the doctors were on my back to stop. Eventually I also never smoked before my appointments lol.

In the end I did stop. I saw that add on tv where all the fat bubbles out of the clogged artery / cig......
That put me off for life and Ive never touched a cig again. Its been 12 years now and Im the biggest anti smoking person alive. Just dont know how I smoked for all those years...

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
i used to smoke for 10 years and the doctors were on my back to stop. Eventually I also never smoked before my appointments lol.

In the end I did stop. I saw that add on tv where all the fat bubbles out of the clogged artery / cig......
That put me off for life and Ive never touched a cig again. Its been 12 years now and Im the biggest anti smoking person alive. Just dont know how I smoked for all those years...
Well done.. I've been a non smoker for 10 years now too.. my kids kept on to me! I didn't particularly want to quit though but I did. I certainly couldn't afford to smoke now anyway what with buying test strips lol

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
"didnt have a cig from 07.30 for my blood pressure reading"

if you arent having a cig just to give you a better blood pressure reading, surely you are just kidding yourself and the doctors and ignoring what your 'normal' blood pressure is doing? Wouldnt you prefer the doctors to know what your everyday blood pressure is doing?
By not smoking 12 hours before the test just to give a better reading, surely you could be giving the doctors false readings and you could be ignoring a possible life threatening situation?

I dont mean to sound rude or harsh, but why would you do that?

This was only 30 minutes before my test was due not 12 hours lol I couldnt last that long. and I was always told not to smoke 30 minutes before a blood pressure test.

At the end of the day I was doing as I was told by the people who are SUPPOSED to know. Why fast before a test in that case, that would give a false impression

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
I hope this isnt gonna turn into an anti smoking debate lol Sorry but I have enough on my plate without stopping that too.

Now where did I leave that line of coke:***:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No not at all tigger I was just saying you only need to not smoke for 30 mins before hand whether you smoke or not is your choice.

Sent from my iPad

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why did you have to fast all night... and at work too.. How did you cope!

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I certainly could not have done it ... I'd have said 'I can';t go that long Doc, without food... I;m a diabetic for Pete's sake!!'

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
sorry if I sounded off with anyone, Just not in a good place right now and fighting to stay intact. I suffer depression so maybe you can understand what all this is doing to my peanut brain right now.

I hit the sweet machine last night and nearly emptied the bloody thing I was so down. Needless to say felt like **** later so the cycle continued and continues tonight after a bad days sleep.

Working nights can be a good thing cause I can run around like a loon screaming but a bad thing as there is no one else around to talk to and have a cry and a hug. A lonely place physiclly and alone in my head. soft get I know but thats just me a clown who crys.

Anyway Take it easy guys

Tigger

Reactions: 5 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sorry if I sounded off with anyone, Just not in a good place right now and fighting to stay intact. I suffer depression so maybe you can understand what all this is doing to my peanut brain right now.

I hit the sweet machine last night and nearly emptied the bloody thing I was so down. Needless to say felt like **** later so the cycle continued and continues tonight after a bad days sleep.

Working nights can be a good thing cause I can run around like a loon screaming but a bad thing as there is no one else around to talk to and have a cry and a hug. A lonely place physiclly and alone in my head. soft get I know but thats just me a clown who crys.

Anyway Take it easy guys

Tigger
Hey.. no need to apologise . We understand . (I've suffered with severe depression and anxiety for 20 years.) I get real crotchety sometimes too. Don't worry. You've made us laugh, you've let us into your diabetic journey. We love having you here on this forum so don't you go running out on us now. If you wanna have a moan, you just go right ahead.
Anyway, after the way you've been treated today at your apnt you have every right to feel real peeved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No offence taken at all everyone has off days, I used to work nights and they are depressing at the best of times. Let alone having to hang around for a dn appointment, and when you get their they mess you around I would be a lot less impressed than you were hope you have a better time of it, as they say tomorrow is another day

Sent from my iPad

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i vape now but when i was smoking,had i not smoked that long i think my bp would have been up not down :)

Reactions: 2 people

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
How long you been vaping Andy it's been 7 weeks for me never felt better wish I had done it a lot sooner

Type 2 diagnosed 2010 1 metformin twice a day

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
What an awful carry on regarding your appointment Tigger, shocking to say the least.

As many would agree, the health care profession do not take Diabetes seriously enough. They can make a big deal about it but in my experience that's as far as it goes. One thing I find that adds insult to injury, whenever I've been a patient in hospital, I was astonished at first to discover Diabetics are not catered for at meal times... that, I feel, about sums up the medical profession's attitude regarding Diabetes.

However, what an informative and interesting thread this has turned out to be, Tigger. I take my hat off to you and the excellent replies the members have posted in response.

I hope at the very least, you manage to gain some sense of peace of mind.
Apart from Diabetes and all the effects that that can have on you, depression, to use an old Scottish word, can be a real "scunner" in life.

btw, I don't smoke nowadays, stopped a long time ago, I was never ever aware ciggies had an adverse effect on blood pressure tests.

As they say, we learn something every day. .....no matter our age. Either that or I'm just pig ignorant. :playful:

Best of good luck to you.

willie.