Retinol Eye Screening

Hails369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!
Just wondering if anyone has received laser eye surgery for damaged blood vessels on the back of the eye ?

Chri55y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Physically not being able to do sports and exercise because of the pain. Being overweight. Not being able to stick to a diet.
Hi there!
Just wondering if anyone has received laser eye surgery for damaged blood vessels on the back of the eye ?

Hi Hails369,
I haven't personally, but my sister-in-law has. In fact it was her optician who found she had diabetes in the first place, after she had gone to the optician following a rant I'd had about people in general driving without having regular eye tests.

Reactions: 4 people

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Hails,
I have had laser treatment for this, about 6 times over a period of 2 years. There is nothing to worry about, its painless. They put drops into your eye/s and then you follow their instructions, i.e. look to your left, look down etc., while they zap you with the laser. It is all over in a few minutes. I found it helpful to take sunglasses with me as with your pupil dilated the daylight is too bright. Hope this helps
Take care
Chris

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Hi I had laser surgery in November 13 for first time. You have to sign a form saying you fully understand the procedure etc
This took place 3-4 weeks beforehand and it was only from thereon in that I became really scared of the procedure. I tried to find out as much info as I could beforehand including the eye clinic. It wasn't until day of surgery the clinic found they did have written info about this procedure. I fearfully went ahead and all was fine. Apart from nerves the worst part was having to wait around. I think I'll always be scared but would nevertheless recommend that you have it done as it's quite painless.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hails369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hails,
I have had laser treatment for this, about 6 times over a period of 2 years. There is nothing to worry about, its painless. They put drops into your eye/s and then you follow their instructions, i.e. look to your left, look down etc., while they zap you with the laser. It is all over in a few minutes. I found it helpful to take sunglasses with me as with your pupil dilated the daylight is too bright. Hope this helps
Take care
Chris
Thanks for the advice Chris :)x

Hails369

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I had laser surgery in November 13 for first time. You have to sign a form saying you fully understand the procedure etc
This took place 3-4 weeks beforehand and it was only from thereon in that I became really scared of the procedure. I tried to find out as much info as I could beforehand including the eye clinic. It wasn't until day of surgery the clinic found they did have written info about this procedure. I fearfully went ahead and all was fine. Apart from nerves the worst part was having to wait around. I think I'll always be scared but would nevertheless recommend that you have it done as it's quite painless.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I think it's the possible side effects that scare me most but in the end I will just have to man up and get it done!x

appleannie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
modern music
I think it's the possible side effects that scare me most but in the end I will just have to man up and get it done!x
I have had laser treatment 3 times and it is not painful . I am registerd as visually impaired owing to the fact of not realising I had diabetes for many years. I went for a cataract operation and they found out I was diabetic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had laser surgery several years ago, the Ophthalmology clinics are really good and will talk you through the procedure on the day. As Chris says take a pair of sunglasses with you as when you come back outside the light can be uncomfortable due to the pupils still being dilated, also remember not to drive as the eye can take a day or two to recover from the surgery.