Type 2 Request for advice

shrinivas

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am very new to this forum. I have been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 3 months back. I am prescribed Jalra M (vildagliptin 50mg + Metformin 50mg ) twice before meals and Metformin SR 500mg twice 30 minustes after meals.
I have managed to reduce my weight by 9 kg. -- from 94 to 85 kg. by dieting and walking for 40 minutes daily.
My current sugar levels are 105 fasting and 140 2hrs post meals.

I also take Vitamin B12 - 1 tablet dialy. I also suffer from hypertension and take Telmesartan + Hyroclorothaizide in the morning and amlodipine 5mg at night.

My problem is i am feeling very weak. My bones pain a lot. Is this because of high doses of Metformin. (about 2 gms per day). I understand Metformin can cause lactic acidiosis .
I also understand that Metformin interacts with Hydroclorothiazide.

Any one has gone through similar experience. Any suggestions? Advice.

Look forward to your advice
Regards
SP

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should probably raise the issue of the weakness and aches with your doctor.

As far as I know 2000 mg of metformin is not an unusually high level. I understand that the maximum daily dosage is up to 3000 mg. I was prescribed 2450mg for a while without the symptoms you describe.

Lactic acidosis is a risk with metformin but only on extremely rare instance. As far as I know you would have experienced other symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, rapid heart bear and particularly rapid breathing, if you had acidosis.

As I am not medically trained I can not comment on a possible interaction between metformin and other drugs.

As far as I know metformin is one of the safest drugs to be on, with even a claimed benefit of protecting against cardiovascular disease

Sorry i could not be of more help.

Pavlos

PS well done on the weight loss and glucose levels!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I would be interested to hear replies to this question as I also have weak and trembly legs and the bones ache too. I often nearly fall over when I get off a bus. I don't take Metformin but when I used to I didn't have leg problems. I read recently that a lack of Vitamin D can cause this so I have just started taking it. No improvement so far though but it's rather soon to tell yet. I exercise up and down stairs in addition to walking so I am wondering if it could be caused by that. My Doctor thinks it could be the fault of some bus seats (Swiss type) which can constrict the backs of my thighs. I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

brianalmond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I,ve been type 2 for nearly 4 yrs now on similar meds as you.The symptoms you describe are common for a type 2 on this medication ,talk to your doc about them as there are alternative meds you can have.I,m am also hypertensive, watch your lower legs and feet for swelling(side effect of amlodipine).If they do tell the doc , he/she will prescribe an alternative.....Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I doubt that's it the Metformin itself causing your symptoms but it may be interacting with your other drugs. Have you Googled the web for possible interaction effects? Yes, do discuss with the doc. Many of us are on max dose Metformin with no problems at all.