The importance of washing your fingers and fresh strips

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
long bike ride yesterday, blood glucose running about 8-9 during the ride with very little carb in take. Just 40g before and 30 g during a 40 mile ride, a bit on the low side but it was a steady, easy ride.

The fun started afterwards though. I was expecting a delayed hypo to occur, so did my usual half hourly checking.

I'd been getting a bit of a rattle from the rear gear area all ride, so afterwards did some investigating, turned out when I'd reassembled it I'd left a vital spacer out. Oily fingers now needed a good wash, adn that made just about half an hour.

Can you imagimen my shock when it read 22.2 and started flashing "KETONES" :eek:

Wash hands again, then I remembered that soem of the strips had been out of the box in my bike test kit for a while. New strip as well, 4.5:cool:.

So don't forget to wash your sticky mitts.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
long bike ride yesterday, blood glucose running about 8-9 during the ride with very little carb in take. Just 40g before and 30 g during a 40 mile ride, a bit on the low side but it was a steady, easy ride.

The fun started afterwards though. I was expecting a delayed hypo to occur, so did my usual half hourly checking.

I'd been getting a bit of a rattle from the rear gear area all ride, so afterwards did some investigating, turned out when I'd reassembled it I'd left a vital spacer out. Oily fingers now needed a good wash, adn that made just about half an hour.

Can you imagimen my shock when it read 22.2 and started flashing "KETONES" :eek:

Wash hands again, then I remembered that soem of the strips had been out of the box in my bike test kit for a while. New strip as well, 4.5:cool:.

So don't forget to wash your sticky mitts.
Glad you're ok!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a similar incident involving chip/potato debris acquired at the pub.

Tested later in double figures and took a correction bolus only to feel a bit hypo on the way home - a quick test revealed I was in the 3's and heading south, so I had to consume many Dextros to cover the correction. Doh !

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any time I get an unexpectedly high reading, I wash hands carefully and repeat the test before doing any correction dose now. It's become second nature. Ten times bitten, now I'm shy...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
more embarrased than anything.
Saw this and thought it might be appropriate!
image.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a similar incident involving chip/potato debris acquired at the pub.

Tested later in double figures and took a correction bolus only to feel a bit hypo on the way home - a quick test revealed I was in the 3's and heading south, so I had to consume many Dextros to cover the correction. Doh !
I was lucky I'd not got that far.

I had doudle and triple checked that I'd really given myself a lunchtime bolus though, and was starting to consider a correction...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Imagine if you had corrected Dave :( Always pays to double check if you get an unexpected high reading.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
:) Just where do you find these!! I nearly got cocoa all over my keyboard seeing this one!

Robbity

PS My meter must not like me - it's never said "Hi!" to me yet...
Google images of course!
image.jpg