Is Type-1 Reversible ?

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I read many books about diabetes.
One of them says that "EVEN TYPE-1 DIABETE IS REVERSIBLE" and body can return its normal glucose levels.

I dont believe that "TYPE-1 IS REVERSIBLE"

Is there anyone who has stories that "TYPE-1 IS REVERSIBLE"

Thanks

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it's not :(

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
These books are full of lies and are sold purely by appealing to people's desire to be diabetes-free. It's something everyone wishes could happen, but if it were that easy then everyone would be doing it. As things currently stand, there is no cure for diabetes.

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK.
I just want to be sure.

On the other hand ;
I think, one of the most important problems of the last times is to separate POPULAR MEDICINE and SCIENTIFIC MEDICINE.

Like you said, some popular medicine books are full of lies and hopes......

Serious problem.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope, not reversible.

I did read one paper (can't find it now) for a patient who was also treated for lukemia and had a bone marrow transplant. Part of that involved blowing away their immune system (or something to that effect) after which they had some return of Beta cell function.

While I would caution that this is NOT a cure it certainly opens up some interesting possibilities for avenues of research.
That said, I am not sure I would go for an apparent cure that nuked my immune system, the risks are just too high for complications.

/A

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I concur with everyone else on this matter. TYPE 1 is an auto immune disease/condition and attacks it's own body thus killing the function of the pancreas, mine did. Can you give the name of the book and author please, as I would be very interested in the 'findings' ? Many thanks

sarahcaryl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be reveresed by transplant but is not 100% going to work. They only do transplants if you have other organs failing due to complications such as kidney failure. Plus your body could reject both organs.
I know a lady that had this done last year at first it worked but her body rejected the pancreas and is now back on insulin plus there isn't a lot of information out there for this

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even transplants are not full reverse of diabetes and are temporary, not permanent.

There are a tiny number of spontaneous remissions of Type 1 but these fall into the category of miracles, more or less. Anyone claiming to offer a repeatable procedure to reverse Type 1 is an evil liar who should be prosecuted. Unless they have real clinical evidence of course in which case we would be all ears.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, not reversible. Not in any way, shape or form. Those who claim it is are preying on people's fears and vulnerabilities. This includes any publishing house who would agree to publish any literature on such an easily verifiable fact, in my opinion. Leeches.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I concur with everyone else on this matter. TYPE 1 is an auto immune disease/condition and attacks it's own body thus killing the function of the pancreas, mine did. Can you give the name of the book and author please, as I would be very interested in the 'findings' ? Many thanks
Sorry, cant seem to find it. Been hunting round for it since I saw this thread but no luck.
If it turns up I will share.

sarahcaryl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE is where you count the carbohydrate you eat and inject fast acting insulin to the ratio suited to you and you also inject background insulin, which could be once or twice a day.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have absolutely no idea what I would do if they found an outright cure.. I've had 38 years of it.

A bit like that episode from the late 70's TV show Monkey, when the priest "Tripitaka" releases the Monkey god from his obligation to protect him on his pilgrimage West by removing the magic headband..?

There is no cure.. But I have heard some of the religious fanatics telling "D moms" in the states that they are poisoning their kids with insulin & that berries & the power of prayer will work...! I hasten to add, neither will this...:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have absolutely no idea what I would do if they found an outright cure.. I've had 38 years of it.

A bit like that episode from the late 70's TV show Monkey, when the priest "Tripitaka" releases the Monkey god from his obligation to protect him on his pilgrimage West by removing the magic headband..?

There is no cure.. But I have heard some of the religious fanatics telling "D moms" in the states that they are poisoning their kids with insulin & that berries & the power of prayer will work...! I hasten to add, neither will this...:banghead:

The human race produce's insulin from the pancreas ! Do these fanatics not realise this, but we became Type 1 because our own bodies attacked the organ and destroyed it so no more insulin:banghead: Scary to read :-o