Opinions?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been reading the new edition of "Balance" There's a list of new BG targets.
T1 adult 4 -7 before meals not more than 9 2hrs PP
T1 children 4 - 8 before meals not more than 10 2hrs PP
T2 adult 4 - 7 before meals not more than 8.5 2hrs PP
T2 children discuss individual targets with healthcare team.
Looks a bit better, but still high to me.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I'd agree with that... those are close to my personal targets for pumping...

4 -8 - before meal.
5 -9 - after meal.

I would like them a bit tighter than that, but it's a good starting point for when i go on the pump on the 9th March :)

Once i'm used to the pump i'll try and tighten it up a bit more.

jopar

This where things do get confusing more so for Type 1’s as DAFNE suggest the following ranges;

5.5 – 7.5 before breakfast
4.5 – 7.5 before other meals
6.5 – 8 before bedtime

With the insulin pump, I can achieve the lower end of these, and also a lower before breakfast which advantages around the 4.5mmol/l mark…

viv1969

I can acheive less than 9 PP, so I feel quite OK about that.

It's my morning level that bugs me. Always always always over 10, and sometimes MUCH higher. Bugs me silly

Stuboy

Dislikes
it's interesting because the healthcare professionals at my clinic... although they dont stop you aiming for tight targets, they do say that anything under 13(!) is OK for a type1 on insulin after meals.

it doesn't play ball with me personally because im drowsy at 13.

saz1

It looks a bit better than before but I have set myself targets to stay under 6.9 at all times and generally under 6. If you think what the figures are for beginnings of complications, the figures are still too high...

C

catherinecherub

Somewhere on one of the boards, Katharine, (our resident Dr) wrote a list of acceptable levels taking into account age and lifestyle. Perhaps one of the mods knows where they are.

C

catherinecherub

Thanks for that Sue. You really are a gem. A very good posting from Katharine.

lindap

Hi, how do you get on the pump treatment? is it available on the NHS in Portsmouth? I need a new angle on this condition as had enough after 28 years injections and testing.

Any info would be appreciated

Stuboy

Dislikes
Pumps are available on the NHS in Portsmouth yes.

If you express a wish to your local diabetes nurse at your local surgery (if you're treated there) they should refer to you to the Diabetes Center at the QA... from there they chat with you about the pump and how you how expect it to improve things for you. Then you do a course called JIGSAW then you go on a 6 month pump trial.

It's a bit more detailed than that but this thread isn't about pumps so im not gonna completely hijack it lol.... Read up on the NICE guidelines (in the pump forum) and if you fit the criteria then just ask! Do your research on pumps so you know what they do and how they work so you can figure out if you think it's right for you before asking... and data is your friend when applying for a pump!