Pump Trial

niknak15

Hi all, after 15 years if injecting I am starting on a trial in August. Any advice or info on anything greatly appreciated as I don't know anything about it really.

Thanks everyone :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kt78

Congrats! Get a copy/download of Pumping Insulin by John Walsh - it's a really informative book. I've been pumping for about 3 years and I still refer back to it lots!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Do your research find out what pump you may/are getting read this forum there is so much great and valid information

niknak15

I have no idea what kind of pump. My DSN said we will discuss that at our sessions before I get it. It's taking me a while to come round to the idea, consultant suggested it a few years ago but since the birth of my son (18mnths) I have had issues with insulin sensitivity.

Thank you I will search for the book :)

Dzialo

Hi, to tell you the truth they advised me to take the pump (and using it now:) ) and that's just after getting diagnosed 3 month ago and haven't read how to use it, they said I had such a clear knowledge about the whole diabetes thing and gave me 1 day to play around with it and that's all I took for me, It's quite simple actually

So don't be nervous it's easy and feel free to ask me anything :D

niknak15

I'm not hypo aware so very nervous of hypos.

I've been carb counting for 8 years so pretty in tune with that.

Change is scary but good sometimes.

Thanks, I will ask xxx

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi niknak

I have been using a pump for 12 years and started to use it because of losing my hypo awareness. I still have no hypo awareness but using a pump has made my life infinitely safer. The tiny amounts of basal insulin you are able to deliver through the pump have made my hypos less severe and less long lasting.

Not having to inject long acting insulin has made night times so much safer. I was having serious hypos at night but being able to tweak basal insulin by 0.025 units gives you so much more specific control. I have found a pump is a much more delicate tool for cracking blood sugar control. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Reactions: 2 people

nikki_legg

I to struggle at night, I don't wake for hypos, I have problems with adrenaline causing hypos, I always hypo if I get into an argument with my husband or if exchanging strong words at work. So hoping that that will get better. Waking up in 15-19 region sometimes higher makes you feel rubbish for the rest of the day. I'm looking forward to starting to feel more human again :)