diabetes and weight loss

Diabetic Sam

hi

its now been 8 months since i found out about my new condition - type 2

been on insulin ever since

however im still continuing to lose weight and im getting a bit concerned about it.

i was 96 kg back in july.. im now 68- and still continuing to lose weight..

how do i stop this constant weight loss? anyone with similar problem?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sam,

Are you sure you meant type 2 and not type 1? It's very unusual for a type 2 to be prescribed insulin on diagnosis. The weight loss is also symptomatic of a chronic lack of insulin.
How are your blood sugar levels? What is your diet like and has it changed since diagnosis?

All the best,

fergus

Diabetic Sam

hi fergus

the hospital dont know whether im type 1 or type 2.. when i first got admitted to hospital i was told i was type 1 - then few weeks later was told they were undecided and might take time for them to establish what it is exactly.

but on a recent letter that i got from them it had type 2 on there.. its all a bit confusing

i take two glicazide tablets just before breakfast - then 1 metformin tablet straight after - then same again in the evening before and after i have my main meal. Then i take insulin just before i go to bed.

my sugar levels are ok - in the mornings it could be anything between 6 to 11... same thing in the evenings...... sugar levels are probably high before i go to bed because i have food just hours before.

but im just a bit concerned with this constant weight loss - hence i was trying to find out if there was someone in the same position :?

sami

sorry but a bg of anything from 6-11 fasting is not ok 6 is ok 11 most deffantly not this could be why you are still loseing weight like you are

Slinger

just been to see diabetic nurse at the hospital, i asked her what the levels should be and she replied that under diabetes UK which who train the nurses and doctors the levels should be
before a meal 4.5 to 6.5
2 hours after a meal below 9

i mentioned that some people think that 9 is high but she said that the insulin hasn't stopped fully working and carries on for a few hours.

hope this clears a few things up for you

Ste