Rude Pharmacist

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think pharmacist was seriously out of line. She tried to wear the GP´s coat and question the need for a diabetes drug due to the OPs age and assumed the GP had made a mistake. If she does think so she should talk to the GP first and not give unasked advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think pharmacist was seriously out of line. She tried to wear the GP´s coat and question the need for a diabetes drug due to the POs age and assumed the GP had made a mistake. If she does think so she should talk to the GP first and not give unasked advice.

My last job was working in a pharmacy, the way she looked at some of the customers, was with contempt. 'Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up' came to mind. I lasted 11 months. .

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I would let it pass and change to another Pharmacy if your feelings run deep about returning there, it's right that they should warn people of side-effects or interactions with other meds, however as both your gp and nurse discussed your treatment treatment method before leaving the surgery I don't think it was the Pharmacists place to go against what your HCP's have advised.

That's my opinion rightly or wrongly.......

Reactions: 6 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Can you imagine her having a go as she handed that stuff out they give to drug addicts instead of them taking heroin? Don't think she'd have been quite so fast with the advise in that case.

Reactions: 2 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She clearly has no self esteem if she needs to put others down. Complain, if she wants to be a professional she needs to act like one

teagan

Quote :-I know it upset you and it wasn't asked for or welcomed, although cumbersomely, I feel the chemist was trying to help you.
It's not much different than you will read here on a lot of posts here

jack412, yes, but we are not pharmacists. ,Members can get a little carried away at times with replies on forums, especially just with a screen in front of you. This was face to face from a professional and somewhat belittling to the OP and soul destroying at the time. Obviously upsetting for her.

teagan

Hi i hate the fact that we are all blamed for being type 2 as if it is out fault my doctor yesterday told me that it was an absolute waste of time type 2 testing their blood sugar as all the meters are inaccurate the ones they prescribe are the same as the ones we have what a waste of space i am now going to change gp's but before signing on with a new one i will find out there policy on type 2s i think you have to be very thick skinned being diabetic or we would all end up in tears over remarks from thoughtless ignorant profesionals lucli;y there are some great ones you just have to find one

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
The pharmacist was doing her job and questioning the requirement of the medications . That said she should have discussed it with the gp not the patient and not in an accusing manner.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi i hate the fact that we are all blamed for being type 2 as if it is out fault my doctor yesterday told me that it was an absolute waste of time type 2 testing their blood sugar as all the meters are inaccurate the ones they prescribe are the same as the ones we have what a waste of space i am now going to change gp's but before signing on with a new one i will find out there policy on type 2s i think you have to be very thick skinned being diabetic or we would all end up in tears over remarks from thoughtless ignorant profesionals lucli;y there are some great ones you just have to find one

Tegan I bought a monitor , an exercise bike and down loaded my fitness pal app.
These are my tools for controlling diabetes along with eating the rainbow of lower carb foods.
My nurse couldn't argue with me because my Hba1c came back at 6.
I feel better than I have in years.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
since i got diagnose different doctors are telling me all the different things. if i am 33 and needed long term medication with serious side effects.

the pharmacist might have done wrong, but i think she meant well. metformin, one of the safest medication has its side effect which target the kidneys. patient on metformin will need to monitor their kidney functions.

it shall be stopped when there are something wrong with kidney functions.

tomdat7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Conservatives, Injustice, Elitism, Poverty, Royalty, Rudeness, Crudeness,
In my area every chemist/pharmacy you go in now has a little consultation room set aside for problems they deem important, smoking, slimming, diabetes control, and they are all sponsored by companies with a commercial interest in selling you the products they produce. When I have been stood waiting for my prescription I have overheard the counter staff asking customers, who obviously come under the radar, if they would like a private free consultation with the practice chemist to advise them on better ways to control their complications. I have complained about the waiting times in getting served because the staff are busy trying to persuade customers to have the consultation, but all I got was a smile and a weak apology. It is obviously a way of increasing the parent companies profits by increasing sales of the products the chemist doing the consultation advises. It is a way of undermining the NHS by stealth, the big companies are pushing their products in any way possible and if this government gets in next time things will get lots, lots, worse.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...I've often been told/read that pharmacists know more about medicines than the GPs and its probably right bbbut its not their job to give their opinion on what you've been prescribed....after all they don't know anything of your medical history, and if they felt so strongly they should have been in touch with the GP concerned, not worrying you with what they think you should be doing for your diabetes..

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
My wife works by the motto all pharmacists are failed doctors/scientists....... Horribly sweeping but in her line of work (research and development scientist) she deals with a lot if em!!!.

I've switched mine after my first pickup of strips/lancets and meds made me feel very self conscious in a busy pharmacy with the inquisition I got !!!!

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that the best way to deal with pharmacists is to tell them what they want to hear and use different ones for different drugs. I'm on inhalers for asthma and the number of times I have been refused Ibuprofen by chemists even after I explain that I have spoken to my doctor about it and been told that if I haven't had problems already I am very unlikely to have them and Ibuprofen is one of the best painkillers for my arthritis.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that the best way to deal with pharmacists is to tell them what they want to hear and use different ones for different drugs. I'm on inhalers for asthma and the number of times I have been refused Ibuprofen by chemists even after I explain that I have spoken to my doctor about it and been told that if I haven't had problems already I am very unlikely to have them and Ibuprofen is one of the best painkillers for my arthritis.
I do the same - and over Ibuprofen. My GP has a record of what medications I am on and happily tells me to take Ibuprofen with them for my osteoarthritis. I even go to different chemist for the Ibuprofen to the one I get my prescriptions at. It's ridiculous, isn't it?