High BGs. High HbA1c and ketones

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Sorry to dip into your forum but I'm type 2 diabetic and on insulin. I'm sticking 88 units a day of Humulin M3 but my BGs are still 12 to 18 mmol even after a tight diet now and my last HbA1c in May was 91 mmol/mol. Recently I've started feeling nauseous and have vomited sometimes and bought a bottle of Ketostix which cost me a fiver ( should have asked for a script lol) and now and again they are changing to red but not too dark. Any advice type 1's ?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to the high bm readings , it's brilliant that you thought to check for ketones .
The fact that you have actually vomited , could be signs of you being led into dka , the best possible advice at the moment , as ketones been showing red aswell is to seek medical advice sooner than later !! .

Reactions: 6 people

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Eddie, agree with Cloe, get medical advice ASAP ref the ketones and symptons.

Longer term, I think you need to review your meds with your DSN/consultant, as the dosage and, most probably, the type of insulin you're on, as they're not doing the trick. M3 worked for me for a few years as a child, but then needed to take separate long acting and rapid acting insulins,

Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Cloe and KazC. Feeling okayish as long as my BGs <15 mmol/L but I'm getting suspicious of ketones myself. I was initially issued with a Glucomen LX plus meter as well as my usual Accu Check but was showing negative for ketones so wasn't put on prescriptions for the strips and my DN told me as I'm type 2 and wasn't initially showing positive it was unlikely I'd be issued with the blood ketone strips due to cost. Anyway I wasted 3 out of the 5 strips as they're bloody hard to do lol. My only readings I got was 0.2 and 0.8. I'm going to make an appointment with my GP tomorrow and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that's what caught my eye was reading about your ketones , I read what your meter readings have said with ketones , but by the looks of things they may have gone up as you said previously the ketones sticks was showing red . It's good that you are feeling okayish , just keep an eye on theses ketones as they can cause havoc it's brilliant that you have got in to see your doctor , but remember if you really are starting to feel unwell do not wait , either emergency appointment and if you have to a & e .
And the good thing is with the doctor is as said above they can help you with your medication aswell .
In the mean time I've always been told when I've had ketones is to drink loads and loads of fluids to try and flush them out your system .
Good luck with the doctors , and keep well .

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheers Cloe...good advice. You Type 1s can share and care about us Type 2s lol

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers Cloe...good advice. You Type 1s can share and care about us Type 2s lol
Haha I think we all need to look out and care for each other lol , no matter what the type
:p:p:p
Keep us updated on your doctors appointment , or whatever decision you feel you need to do .
Take care .

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Eddie, some type 2's move onto basal/bolus to get their bg levels under control, it's a bit more flexible than a mixed insulin like Humulin M3 in that you can give correction doses at meal-times, might be worth asking your HCP's about a basal/bolus regime if your bg levels continue to be elevated.

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mate throwing up with ketones is a good reason to get to A&E. They will treat it and you'll feel 100% better
DKA will make you very sick and a T2 on insulin can get it

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Jim

Ketones under 0.6 on a meter are ok . Over that and you should consider extra insulin, especially if you have high glucose readings. Your DN can recommend how much insulin you should take. >1.5 ketones is getting serious.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just to update you, ketones at 1.2, been told to monitor every time BG > 13.9 mmol/L. Feeling better and know if they go above 1.5 to seek urgent treatment and have adjusted insulin up at these times. Thanks all in this forum. What a nice bunch, aww lol

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update you, ketones at 1.2, been told to monitor every time BG > 13.9 mmol/L. Feeling better and know if they go above 1.5 to seek urgent treatment and have adjusted insulin up at these times. Thanks all in this forum. What a nice bunch, aww lol
Brilliant news that your gp has now seen you , and has given you some medical advice , which will help you .
Hopefully your ketones will now come down , now you have had you insulin adjusted . Just keep an eye on your ketones as your gp said . And act if they do not come down .

Good luck , all the best
:):):)