do i buy test strips????

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
true kimbo well my sugar levels have dropped to 7.9 now 10 days after being diagnosed so with the results im getting now is a lot better than what it was at start and can`t agree more lets us both beat this x
I started at 6 at waking up today, 4.9 five hours after breakfast, 5.5 after lunch, 5.8 after dinner and going to bed now at 5.6!! 16 days after diagnosed, 12 days lchf..........xx

Reactions: 4 people

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
If you can't find your test strips on eBay (which is a good cheap source) and you want to stick with your current meter, you should be able to get your strips VAT free from the chemists, if you sign a form to say you're diabetic. I think that you get this option too with the purchase of the Codefree strips online.

Robbity
thanks robbity well chemist never said anything about that but sure will look into that

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
By the way, code free strips 6.99 on Amazon ; ) xx
thanks kimbo sorry for being thick lol but does code free mean they fit any tester machine :) xx

A

AnnieC

My husbands DN gave him a meter when he was diagnosed T2 nearly three weeks ago and said he would get strips on prescription but we know it will not be many a month as she said he only needed to test now and again so he is keeping with the Codefree meter and buying the strips on Amazon as they are the cheapest

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't get chance to get back to you earlier royster! Sounds like you aren't using code free? The meters are on Amazon for £13.......I got the package with strips and lancets for £25, then just got more strips at 6.99

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
My husbands DN gave him a meter when he was diagnosed T2 nearly three weeks ago and said he would get strips on prescription but we know it will not be many a month as she said he only needed to test now and again so he is keeping with the Codefree meter and buying the strips on Amazon as they are the cheapest

yeah just checked im going to get 1 of them soon but will use what ive got at moment :)

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Didn't get chance to get back to you earlier royster! Sounds like you aren't using code free? The meters are on Amazon for £13.......I got the package with strips and lancets for £25, then just got more strips at 6.99
thanks kimbo yeah I just looked on there can get meter and 50 lancets for £20 so will invest in 1 soon xx

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roy

I am one of the type 2's who managed to get a meter from the GP. I did my research on the NICE recommendations that doctors are supposed to take notice of.

The relevant bit states the following (not word perfect) " testing meters should be available for type 2 diabetics who are on oral medication and wish to make lifestyle changes".

I told my GP the only way I could get to grips with my diabetes was to find out which foods affected me personally, as everybody is different, and I needed a meter to do that. So I was given one.

I am buying strips as well as getting them on prescription so that I am not restricted.

Jim

Reactions: 3 people

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Roy

I am one of the type 2's who managed to get a meter from the GP. I did my research on the NICE recommendations that doctors are supposed to take notice of.

The relevant bit states the following (not word perfect) " testing meters should be available for type 2 diabetics who are on oral medication and wish to make lifestyle changes".

I told my GP the only way I could get to grips with my diabetes was to find out which foods affected me personally, as everybody is different, and I needed a meter to do that. So I was given one.

I am buying strips as well as getting them on prescription so that I am not restricted.

Jim

thanks jim well will make an apoointment to see doc see where I go from there

A

Avocado Sevenfold

hi scimama ive started a low carb diet not eating no choc or biscuits no sugar in my brews or on serial (which is hard work lol) well I bought my test strips but will look at the site before these run out as im not going to keep paying 20 quid for them but im chuffed with my results so far
Slightly off topic, but if you ditch the cereal too, your levels may come down even more. Have a look about the site for many breakfast ideas :)

royster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Liverpool fc lol
Slightly off topic, but if you ditch the cereal too, your levels may come down even more. Have a look about the site for many breakfast ideas :)

will be doing but was just finishing the cereal I had before getting diagnosed which I had my last this morning :)

C

chris lowe

I get mine on e-bay, but do check the expiry date with seller before you buy. I bought some that turned out to be 2 months past expiry date, luckily only one box and I couldn't be bothered to return them though I know I should have

Zaphod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fatty food,
thanks avocado for advice that's what I thought so I can keep an eye for my sugar levels and see if the things im eating are keeping my sugar levels down well will bite the bullet and buy some myself and thanks again and all the the best to you also
Hi Royster, my DN gave me a microdot meter but the Dr will only let me have 1 box per year, says I don't need one. However the strips should be used within 3 months once opened.
Since using mine one day per week for four tests I have better control over BGs, (well they are not going up)

needle1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I bought myself a self tester for blood glucose but on my first try I wasted 5 tester strips ( me doing it wrong lol) so been round town today looking to buy some more tester strips which I have found and the chemist saying they rather expensive and I could get them on prescription so just called into doctors and they wont give them on prescription just being told that believe in the medication (metformin) will do its job and don`t get distressed about it and keep it for later down the line so I`m asking for an opinion that should I buy them myself or just wait and see when the next time I see the nurse as I was using it to see which foods was effecting me more and to pat myself on the back if I was doing well lol
Hi royster, I got some from amazon at a good price. My doctor gave me a meter and a prescription for the lancets and the test strips when first diagnosed about three weeks ago. He said 'get testing to find out how different foods affect your reading'. I think its important - in fact I feel a bit more confident in being to keep an eye on my levels. Can't understand why your surgery wont give you a prescription though.
Good luck