I've completely fallen off the low-carb wagon. :(

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was doing well. I was diagnosed in late April, with a HbA1C of 106. Seven weeks later (after listening to this forum's advice and low-carbing) I had gotten it down to 66 and had lost a stone. I had also gotten my cholesterol down from slightly high to well within normal range. My DN and GP were pleased, although of course there was room for much improvement.

My birthday was on June 9th. I had an ice cream as a birthday treat. Since then, my diet has been terrible. It hasn't be *quite* as bad as it was before, but still bad. It seems that one ice cream spiraled into all kinds of sugar-laden foods. It's also been a very stressful time for my husband and I, as he's lost his biggest client and our income has been greatly reduced.

The trouble is, I don't feed badly physically, as I did before I started low-carbing and went on Metformin. I've also lost 4 additional pounds. I still feel fairly energetic. I think if I felt like ****, or had gained back some of the weight I lost, it would kick my butt into eating better. I am fully aware what it is doing to me inside though. Of course I stopped testing as well.

If you've fallen off, how did you get back on the low-carb wagon again? How do I get that determination to be healthy back again? I really feel like I've failed. I think once the novelty of low-carbing went away, it just became "too hard" when I realized I would have to do this for the rest of my life. How do you keep up the momentum, day after day? I am off to bed feeling very low and have no clue how I'm going to get back to proper eating.

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there. Im in the same boat. Went out of town for a week and tried my best but it didnt go too well. However its day 2 and am doing better. The feeling of guilt and the dread of having to start over are all normal. We cant be hard on ourselves. Were human we make mistakes and as long as we pick up where we left then we are doing great

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

ianmi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who take themselves too seriously!
In the words of John Wayne - 'Get back on your horse!'

Tomorrow is another day. Focus on the positives.

Reactions: 8 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's hard when you know what to do but don't end up doing it because of lack of will power. I also feel good, much better when I've eaten a high carb meal--energetic at 7-8 mmol--but I think this is a "sugar high" a false sense of feeling good but wreaks havoc in your system if you're not careful. They say sugar is 8 times more addictive than cocaine.

This sounds morbid and pessimistic but whenever I feel a craving and want it to go away, I go read medical journals on diabetes complications just to remind me to watch what I'm eating. Three conditions: heart attack, stroke, amputation. That stops my craving full stop. My family at home labels everything sugary "can cause heart attack" on the chocolate bars and cake boxes or biscuits to help me get by. Plummets the appetite. It sounds weird and crazy but the scare tactics work for me. Mind conditioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Fallgal, yep that's me too..... I'm not good at keeping up the momentum from day to day either, I just have to try my best and accept that sometimes I won't do so well. I am in the process of getting back to low carbing now....like today! So far so good! (yeh I know it's only 6 a.m.) So I suppose I usually get back to it with good intentions but have a few false starts before I get there. Good luck......you haven't failed, it's a temporary blip, I've fallen off a few times now, but I'm getting back there again now, and so will you. Let us know how you get on....

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l have an occasional treat as all folks do but so far fine. l agree with Jack l think weight loss leg loss or if things get bad l think of Kev.
l also use it as a personal challenge l have a huge streak of stobborn in me and where l would normally use it on others l use it against me.
l am also not hungry between meals and most days have berries and cream at lunch, this tops up any sweet tooth l have.

Reactions: 2 people

danielt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mu OH is the diabetic in our house he is addicted to carbs without a doubt mainly because of my unhelpful and unsuccessful slimming world green days diet he had for years so I do take some responsibility.... He is overweight as am I but in the last few weeks I have stopped trying for utopia and just cut down carbs wherever I can for him (not a control freak just the wife who cooks and shops for the food!!!)

I would love him/us to be carb free or v low carb but its a battle and so I just go as low carb as I can and hope to withdraw slowly. I am convinced carbs are addicted no doubt at all but with several stone to lose after decades of being overweight it isn't all going to happen overnight...especially I spent years when he was maybe on the road to diabetes giving pasta with everything. :-((. and then of course I have to battle the medical advice 'carb with every meal' which is listened to because I am not medically trained! Although slowly I am getting through I think!

I am very new here and no expert but just try over the next few days maybe a week to get back to where you were and don't punish yourself too much that just makes it worse and can turn into a self defeating circle. Hope that helps x

Reactions: 9 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
So far I've managed to avoid succumbing, but I wonder if the temptation to fall off the wagon can be reduced or eliminated by treating the odd diversion as just a bit of 'off plan' eating? The purpose being not to associate it with guilt which then gets reinforced and leads to the slippery slope. Just a thought.

Reactions: 12 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far I've managed to avoid succumbing, but I wonder if the temptation to fall off the wagon can be reduced or eliminated by treating the odd diversion as just a bit of 'off plan' eating? The purpose being not to associate it with guilt which then gets reinforced and leads to the slippery slope. Just a thought.
I know this works for others, but for me any 'off plan' eating ends the same way.........'just this once' has never worked for me, it always ends in a complete fall off the wagon....maybe just a slower, long drawn out fall, but a fall all the same..:(

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I was doing well. I was diagnosed in late April, with a HbA1C of 106. Seven weeks later (after listening to this forum's advice and low-carbing) I had gotten it down to 66 and had lost a stone. I had also gotten my cholesterol down from slightly high to well within normal range. My DN and GP were pleased, although of course there was room for much improvement.

My birthday was on June 9th. I had an ice cream as a birthday treat. Since then, my diet has been terrible. It hasn't be *quite* as bad as it was before, but still bad. It seems that one ice cream spiraled into all kinds of sugar-laden foods. It's also been a very stressful time for my husband and I, as he's lost his biggest client and our income has been greatly reduced.

The trouble is, I don't feed badly physically, as I did before I started low-carbing and went on Metformin. I've also lost 4 additional pounds. I still feel fairly energetic. I think if I felt like ****, or had gained back some of the weight I lost, it would kick my butt into eating better. I am fully aware what it is doing to me inside though. Of course I stopped testing as well.

If you've fallen off, how did you get back on the low-carb wagon again? How do I get that determination to be healthy back again? I really feel like I've failed. I think once the novelty of low-carbing went away, it just became "too hard" when I realized I would have to do this for the rest of my life. How do you keep up the momentum, day after day? I am off to bed feeling very low and have no clue how I'm going to get back to proper eating.
Ring a friend to check they're in first. Eat brekkie, lunch to make sure you're not hungry. Go through the cupboards and fridge. Get rid of the **** and give it away. This was what I did in January. Then plan your meals for the week. Write those ingredients down , go shopping and buy those things only. Why not add in the ingredients for choc mug cake and LCHF ice cream? Good luck!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Mu OH is the diabetic in our house he is addicted to carbs without a doubt mainly because of my unhelpful and unsuccessful slimming world green days diet he had for years so I do take some responsibility.... He is overweight as am I but in the last few weeks I have stopped trying for utopia and just cut down carbs wherever I can for him (not a control freak just the wife who cooks and shops for the food!!!)

I would love him/us to be carb free or v low carb but its a battle and so I just go as low carb as I can and hope to withdraw slowly. I am convinced carbs are addicted no doubt at all but with several stone to lose after decades of being overweight it isn't all going to happen overnight...especially I spent years when he was maybe on the road to diabetes giving pasta with everything. :-((. and then of course I have to battle the medical advice 'carb with every meal' which is listened to because I am not medically trained! Although slowly I am getting through I think!

I am very new here and no expert but just try over the next few days maybe a week to get back to where you were and don't punish yourself too much that just makes it worse and can turn into a self defeating circle. Hope that helps x
I did green days for over a year and suspect it had something to do with me developing T2. Moving forward, I now eat low carb/high fat and am losing just as much weight as SW but in a gentle, controlled way that is good for my blood glucose levels. I hope you both find a good routine you enjoy soon. Best wishes.

Reactions: 6 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Jack412 - that was horrific but I've saved it and will look at it next time I'm tempted to fall off the wagon!

In a funny kind of way - thank you

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Scandichic I agree with scandichic on the desserts...@sanguine or, maybe work on low carb alternatives for the treats (there's heaps of recipes here in the low carb forum-check food and nutrition which I also learned from fellow members)

Oopsies , low carb muffins, etc.

I did a bit of baking last night and had oopsies for Brekkie then low carb muffin for lunch checked my bg post 2 hours it's at 4.1 :) yummy treats without worrying about the sugar spikes so you wouldn't feel guilty at all.