Type 2 (most likely) - feeling really ashamed

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
Ha, read my comment again LOL. I said I was tempted...that's as far as it got :)

I intend to make some major lifestyle changes because I just don't think I could do the Newcastle diet. And I'm not planning on a gastric band, bypass or sleeve either. Had enough surgery and got some more looming, so not keen to have any more!
Lol I wouldn't even be tempted
Good luck with your diet and I really hope you don't end up a slave to insulin x

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Loobles,

Forgive me, i read your OP then jumped to the most recent post, so I'm not responding to previous forum members posts and therefore what I say might contradict or upset some!

I think you are more "ashamed" of your weight than an impending diagnosis of diabetes.

Diabetes isn't a death sentence; but sadly many people treat it like a life sentence and get "anal" about what they eat, how many times they prick their finger, what the nurse or GP did or didn't tell them,etc.

For me, diabetes isn't a "one size fits all disease". We are all unique and therefore what works for me may not work for you.

I seldom visit this forum now; it served me well in the early days, but now I'm more "enlightened" about diabetes; I'm getting on with my life. For me personally; certain vitamins and supplements have given me my life back and The Newcastle Diet helped my overall health and well being tremendously. I lost 3 stone in only 8 weeks and felt FANTASTIC

Bottom line; life is for living. Take advice from and aid your research by using forums like this one, BUT, don't let them rule your life. Some well intentioned people on these forums can put the fear of God into you by painting a very bleak picture. It needn't be that way. A positive mental attitude is vital in controlling betes - don't let it control you

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi Loobles,

Forgive me, i read your OP then jumped to the most recent post, so I'm not responding to previous forum members posts and therefore what I say might contradict or upset some!

I think you are more "ashamed" of your weight than an impending diagnosis of diabetes.

Diabetes isn't a death sentence; but sadly many people treat it like a life sentence and get "anal" about what they eat, how many times they prick their finger, what the nurse or GP did or didn't tell them,etc.

For me, diabetes isn't a "one size fits all disease". We are all unique and therefore what works for me may not work for you.

I seldom visit this forum now; it served me well in the early days, but now I'm more "enlightened" about diabetes; I'm getting on with my life. For me personally; certain vitamins and supplements have given me my life back and The Newcastle Diet helped my overall health and well being tremendously. I lost 3 stone in only 8 weeks and felt FANTASTIC

Bottom line; life is for living. Take advice from and aid your research by using forums like this one, BUT, don't let them rule your life. Some well intentioned people on these forums can put the fear of God into you by painting a very bleak picture. It needn't be that way. A positive mental attitude is vital in controlling betes - don't let it control you
It's ok Ardbeg, I know which advice suits me and I know which pieces of advice I'll be taking forward. I don't tend to make rash decisions, so whatever I do decide to do will be well researched. At this stage, I believe I have a little time to think things through with respect to how my future diet might be - whatever it is, it's most likely to be something long term. I'm still researching though, but in the meantime I'm sticking to lower carbs as it fits in with my logic pattern (you know, carbs=insulin=weight gain=more insulin resistance=not good).

Just for the record though, I don't believe I'm ashamed of my weight (after all weight is just a number) but I am ashamed of being borderline/diabetic since the generally held belief is that fat people risk getting diabetes. I'm working on that though...

Reactions: 2 people

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
It's ok Ardbeg, I know which advice suits me and I know which pieces of advice I'll be taking forward. I don't tend to make rash decisions, so whatever I do decide to do will be well researched. At this stage, I believe I have a little time to think things through with respect to how my future diet might be - whatever it is, it's most likely to be something long term. I'm still researching though, but in the meantime I'm sticking to lower carbs as it fits in with my logic pattern (you know, carbs=insulin=weight gain=more insulin resistance=not good).

Just for the record though, I don't believe I'm ashamed of my weight (after all weight is just a number) but I am ashamed of being borderline/diabetic since the generally held belief is that fat people risk getting diabetes.
Loobles you seem a lovely lady don't be ashamed and all this forum is, is a platform for fellow diabetics to come togther and swop life information
The Newcastle diet can work for some in the short term but for others it won't and I personally don't want to be anyone's test subject

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loobles you seem a lovely lady don't be ashamed and all this forum is, is a platform for fellow diabetics to come togther and swop life information
The Newcastle diet can work for some in the short term but for others it won't and I personally don't want to be anyone's test subject
Well of course I'm a lovely lady...but maybe I'm a little biased :angelic:

In the right circumstances, I'm sure I could do the Newcastle diet for some length of time, but I don't believe those circumstances have arisen for me yet. I'm quite happy low carbing, even if I am dealing with some awful head-hunger issues. I have some CBT coming up for the overeating thing and I really hope that helps because I hate head hunger, there's just no satisfying it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may find the low carb also helps the head hunger, it will certainly stop the physical craving
I stopped all grain, grain product, potato and sugar stuff

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You may find the low carb also helps the head hunger, it will certainly stop the physical craving
I stopped all grain, grain product, potato and sugar stuff
I am doing low carb and it's not helping my head hunger LOL
Just went for a 50 minute swim though - that helped. I think that could be why I've felt so hungry - I haven't been able to go for a swim since thursday. I always feel less hungry when I'm exercising...as soon as I realised that I told hubby to make his own dinner while I went for a swim. i'm such a terrible wife...:hilarious:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More fat in your diet
When you cut carbs the calories are replaced by fat, 1 tablespoon is 100 calories
Put a tablespoon of olive oil over salads, a big dob tablespoon of butter on veg
Throw away marge and use real butter
Fat also settles the carb cravings, Google fat bombs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I have an infection which hasn't cleared up after 6 weeks and today my GP thought he'd do a fingerprick bg test - result 7.9 after having nothing to eat or drink since day before, so you could call it a fasting result. I was sent to the hospital for HbA1c etc etc. My parents are both type 2 diabetic - dad isn't even overweight and is physically active, but mum is like me, very overweight and not very physically active. I'm nearly 39.

About 8 weeks ago I saw sense regarding the weight/exercise issue and joined a local pool as the only exercise I really enjoy is swimming. Things were going great until I got this infection, where I was told I shouldn't be swimming. 6 weeks later and the infection is still there...so still no swimming...it's killing me! Once I stopped swimming I didn't feel motivated to eat healthier foods, so my already bad diet spiralled out of control further.

I must admit I do feel a bit scared as I really don't like doctors or hospitals and I have a feeling both of these are going to feature heavily in my life now. I'm won't be really suprised if the results do come back positive, not given my family history and poor lifestyle. And I'm normally an upbeat kind of person, but I can't help but feel really ashamed. like I've brought this on myself. And to make matters worse the last thing I want is people watching what I eat all the time and saying the moment anyhting remotely carby passes my lips "should you be eating that"?

The GP belives the results will be positive for diabetes and I'm prepared for that really. I just don't know how to handle the shame and self-blame - or the sadness that I've left it too late to sort myself out. Has anyone else felt like this? How did you deal with it? Please don't just tell me to "man up", I need good helpful advice right now, from people who understand.

Thanks so much x
I feel the same way as you . I have bad days and good days . I have high Bp and now my SL ' S ARE BAD don't give up . Just take every day as normal things will improve it takes time

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Ha, read my comment again LOL. I said I was tempted...that's as far as it got :)

I intend to make some major lifestyle changes because I just don't think I could do the Newcastle diet. And I'm not planning on a gastric band, bypass or sleeve either. Had enough surgery and got some more looming, so not keen to have any more!

I really don't know why Gary is getting out of his pram over the Newcastle Diet.

For the record, I didn't buy any expensive shakes either, just bought the Asda own brand ones as they had the lowest sugar content I could find.

It is basically an 8 week detox, during which time you follow a strict vegan diet. Didn't do me any harm and my bloods returned to a normal, non diabetic level.

No disrespect meant to you Loobles, but if you couldn't follow a simple 8 week diet plan like the Newcastle one! you are unlikely to make and stick to "some major lifestyle changes"....

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don't know why Gary is getting out of his pram over the Newcastle Diet.

For the record, I didn't buy any expensive shakes either, just bought the Asda own brand ones as they had the lowest sugar content I could find.

It is basically an 8 week detox, during which time you follow a strict vegan diet. Didn't do me any harm and my bloods returned to a normal, non diabetic level.

No disrespect meant to you Loobles, but if you couldn't follow a simple 8 week diet plan like the Newcastle one! you are unlikely to make and stick to "some major lifestyle changes"....
And why on earth would anybody want to starve themselves for eight weeks when they can eat proper food and achieve the result? LCHF rocks.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saying "no disrespect meant" is no guarantee that it won't be read into the insulting remarks that follow it.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
"I really don't know why Gary is getting out of his pram over the Newcastle Diet.

No disrespect meant to you Loobles, but if you couldn't follow a simple 8 week diet plan like the Newcastle one! you are unlikely to make and stick to "some major lifestyle changes"...."

Aardbeg, I'll ignore the insult to my intelligence because you don't know me, or my background. However, what I will say is that your comment might be true if we were just considering length of "diet" or complexity thereof. But we're not are we? There are other things to consider too, such as perceived difficulty, experience with previous eating plans of a similar nature, level of desperation, perceived lifestyle gain/loss and trade-off...and so much more.

I'm really pleased that the Newcastle diet worked for you and I believe you have the best intentions, but do understand that my life is not your life, nor are my experiences yours. I appreciate your input, but please understand (everybody) that this thread was never intended to be a debate about the pros and cons of the Newcastle diet; it was about me feeling ashamed that my poor lifestyle had probably led to me being diabetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He made statements that weight control doesn't affect T2 and was unable to move from the position.