Testing blood sugar levels in a separate room

lippymk1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am new to the forum but I have had type 1 diabetes for 25 years. I have recently been told to go to a separate room at work to test my sugar levels and not to do it in the main work area because it might upset someone. I work in a mental health facility that uses alternative therapies including rest and relaxation techniques and acupuncture and massage. Since being told this I have gone on an insulin pump so no more injections for them to complain about too! I have pointed out that if I am testing because I think I am hypo then going into a separate room on my own could be dangerous. What advice could anyone give me please? X

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I had direct family contact with diabetes, I had several diabetic friends. With my current knowledge, I now know exactly what they were doing, when they were testing - but in the past, all I was aware of was that John/Jane or whoever, got something out of a little case, did something quickly and then muttered something like "that's fine" to themselves and conversation and life continued. In other words, unless someone deliberately holds a bloodied finger in your face (as if you would!), there is nothing to see and nothing to get upset about. I would just carry on, discretely.
My only hesitation in saying the above, is that you say you work in a mental health facility, which could mean many things. If you are in circumstances where very sensitive and disturbed people might be over curious, there might just be reasons to test elsewhere. I can't advise on your personal safety, not having T1 experience.
Sally

lippymk1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks sally for your reply. I will have to have a meeting about it with my boss about it cos it has been brought up. we will have to try and find some compromise but I kind of need advice as to how much I have to give on it!
There are no dangerous people who come in so don't need to worry on that count thankfully! Lol x

TheFish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ask your employer to risk assess the fact you have been asked to test your lvls in private . It's In your best interest that you feel secure and safe in your work place to be able to manage your blood sugar levels , my wife has the same problems and she works for tax office and has a new pump fitted within the last two weeks . Hope they resolve this issue quick for you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lippymk1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks the fish x I will! And I hope your wife gets on as well with her pump as I have with mine x