Low carb diet

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lol lol lol Hi. This is a very wordy thread:)

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since joining this group i have heard a great deal about the low carb diet on here. However at no point has my GP or diabetic nurse ever mentioned it. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and told then by a dietician at my surgery that I should always eat a carbohydrate food with every meal ( wholemeal bread, brown rice that sort of thing). I find it
hard to loose weight although at the moment I am not really trying as I am having treatment for cancer. However once I am well again I really want to do the right thing regarding what I eat. Should I have a serious talk with my GP/diabetic nurse and find out if I should be following this low carb diet or just do it?

mpe

Since joining this group i have heard a great deal about the low carb diet on here. However at no point has my GP or diabetic nurse ever mentioned it. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and told then by a dietician at my surgery that I should always eat a carbohydrate food with every meal ( wholemeal bread, brown rice that sort of thing).

That's the official advice. Which makes no sense on a number of levels. These guidelines encourage carbohydrates with the highest glucose content, whist discouraging those with a lower glucose. There is no actual dietary sugar requirement for a human (and AFAIK any mammal).

I find it hard to loose weight although at the moment I am not really trying as I am having treatment for cancer. However once I am well again I really want to do the right thing regarding what I eat. Should I have a serious talk with my GP/diabetic nurse and find out if I should be following this low carb diet or just do it?

Cancer cells are unusual in that they (generally) require sugars. So you might do better to talk to your oncologist now, rather than waiting.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Personally, I just did it after reading all the success stories on this forum. The secret is to cut carbs. All carbs, without exception, turn to glucose once in the system, therefore Carbs = Sugar, and we don't want any more sugar in our bodies. Many (most) of us Type 2's have been told by our nurses to eat carbs with every meal, just switch from white ones to brown ones. But all carbs turn to sugar, including the brown ones. They just take a fraction longer to digest. If you do this, you will lose weight, and your BS will reduce. Of course, by cutting carbs you are also cutting calories, too many even on a weight loss diet, so you have to make up this deficit by increasing fats and/or protein. This doesn't mean going overboard with this increase, just by enough to make up the calorie deficit. If you don't, you will run the risk of getting insufficient nutrients and becoming tired and without energy.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that if I had cancer, I would go for the most nutritious, low sugar diet I could find.

Nutritious, because my body would be stressed by the cancer, and then again by the cancer treatments.
Low sugar because of the link between cancer cells and sugar.

Since all those carbs would be filling me up with not-very-nutritious-stuff AND raising my blood glucose, that's a double whammy.

At the same time... I'm not convinced that I would go for the standard low carb diet... I think I would be using green smoothies for max nutrition (all those lovely raw, unpasteurised, fruit and veg), and be very selective about my protein and fat sources - max omega 3 fatty acids (fish, fish oils, hemp oil) and high quality protein (grass fed with lots of organ meat). And I would be avoiding anything processed.

But that is me. I wouldn't suggest anyone else get that... er... obsessed with food. ;) Unless they wanted to.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Some clinics in US and Germany actually encourage a ketogenic diet in their cancer treatment and I agree with the suggestions from Brunneria.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends on whether chemo is part of the treatment. Chemo drugs play havoc with your taste buds and eating habits I'm afraid. Most things taste revolting, and then there is the nausea and diarrohea to contend with. It isn't as simple as eating a nutritious healthy diet. You eat because you have to, and you eat what you can stomach. You also have to eat/drink certain things to help with side effects. Loads of Cranberry Juice is always recommended! If chemo isn't part of the treatment, then I agree with Brunneria.

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lol lol lol Hi. This is a very wordy thread:)[/QU
It all depends on whether chemo is part of the treatment. Chemo drugs play havoc with your taste buds and eating habits I'm afraid. Most things taste revolting, and then there is the nausea and diarrohea to contend with. It isn't as simple as eating a nutritious healthy diet. You eat because you have to, and you eat what you can stomach. You also have to eat/drink certain things to help with side effects. Loads of Cranberry Juice is always recommended! If chemo isn't part of the treatment, then I agree with Brunneria.
Thank you all for your help and advice. I have been having chemo and have to agree most foods taste revolting and it's a case of finding something you can face eating. What I can eat one day tastes awful the next and even drinks are difficult to stomach at times. I also don't eat meat but enjoy all types of fish although at the moment some of these I am unable to face. I am definitely going to cut down on the carbs, many of which I can't face eating at the moment so will not start eating them again. Thank you everyone.
OTE]