Last edited by a moderator:

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:Well I am a real salt lover and tried Lo-Salt some years ago. But didn't like it.
But I do get swollen ankles, so I tried it again this year and I don't know if they have changed the recipe or my taste has changed. But I find it OK now. I was aware you could get hardening of the arteries etc. So it has to be a change for the better. The swelling isn't as bad and I don't salt everything on my plate. I even take it on holiday with me and leave it on my table along with my Cinnamon to put on my breakfast.
Of course we all need salt to stay healthy, and it is low salt not sodium free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't add any :/ my whole family think I'm strange it's just something I have never done lol their food always just tastes of salt to me lol x

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:rolleyes:Well I am a real salt lover and tried Lo-Salt some years ago. But didn't like it.
But I do get swollen ankles, so I tried it again this year and I don't know if they have changed the recipe or my taste has changed. But I find it OK now. I was aware you could get hardening of the arteries etc. So it has to be a change for the better. The swelling isn't as bad and I don't salt everything on my plate. I even take it on holiday with me and leave it on my table along with my Cinnamon to put on my breakfast.
Of course we all need salt to stay healthy, and it is low salt not sodium free.

You can't always win though, lo salt is high in potassium and may be contraindicated . (especially if you take ARBs or ACES listed in the link)

Too much potassium can also be harmful, which is why people receiving medication for diabetes, heart or kidney disorders should consult their doctor before using a reduced sodium salt.
http://www.losalt.com/uk/when-is-a-reduced-sodium-salt-not-right-for-me/

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Yet another thing we as diabetics should have less of there's a surprise :rolleyes: ...........I love the taste of it, on anything, but never keep it in the house ....... its been known for a long time that too much salt isn't good for anyone, diabetic or not..... there's plenty of it in nearly everything we buy anyway and when we eat out most meals are laden with it...

C

chris lowe

I do add small amounts of salt (about two twists of the salt mill) when I'm cooking main meals but with veg, I steam them in the microwave so I don't add salt. If anyone wants to they can add it at the table. At least my husband doesn't take after his mother, she used to sprinkle a fine layer of salt over her food - looked like it had been snowing! Then again when she fried sausages she used to pour the fat from the pan over the mash. Yukkkkkk.

I was reading a while ago that the thinking on salt is being relaxed, and there's a programme on BBC2 on Monday 9pm - Should I Eat Meat - about the latest evidence on eating sturated fat. It seems that all these clever scientist and doctors like to tell us what we should/shouldn't eat then a couple of years later reverse their thinking. I think the only way is a little bit of what you like but not too excess.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I do add small amounts of salt (about two twists of the salt mill) when I'm cooking main meals but with veg, I steam them in the microwave so I don't add salt. If anyone wants to they can add it at the table. At least my husband doesn't take after his mother, she used to sprinkle a fine layer of salt over her food - looked like it had been snowing! Then again when she fried sausages she used to pour the fat from the pan over the mash. Yukkkkkk.

I was reading a while ago that the thinking on salt is being relaxed, and there's a programme on BBC2 on Monday 9pm - Should I Eat Meat - about the latest evidence on eating sturated fat. It seems that all these clever scientist and doctors like to tell us what we should/shouldn't eat then a couple of years later reverse their thinking. I think the only way is a little bit of what you like but not too excess.

Chris, I'll be interested to see that documentary and I agree with what you say about not eating anything to excess bbbbut what is/isn't excess is often changed a year or too later as you say.....its all a minefield and not only if you have diabetes.........I have often thought we're better informed in here but unfortunately we probably aren't..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 5 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An atkins book I read stated that you should add half a teaspoon of salt to water and drink it because frequent urination means the body loses a lot of salt. There are recommendations for the amount of salt that is safe to consume but I think that you would have to be a Nobel winning scientist to accurately to work out how much you put into your mouth? Those tiny grains of salt are hard to count?;):)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Heaps! The only advantage of having Addisons Disease, you can eat salt til it comes out your ears .... if I didn't I'd be on a 2nd medication (Florinef?) so I kind of self medicate :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If you are doing LCHF, especially if you get yourself into ketosis, you should increase your sodium intake slightly as you excrete more.

All very confusing.

I have gone many years with no added salt but I've started adding a bit in again.

P.S. fat from the sausages over the mash? My kinda woman!!!!

Reactions: 7 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I love salt, it flavours bland food.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I freely use salt, both because my salt-balance numbers are just below the normal range - and besides, I also like it!

@LittleGreyCat: Yes, I have also seen it mentioned several times that if you are on a low or lowish carb diet, you may need more salt in your diet.

And HA! about the fat over the mash! I will happily fry my scrambled eggs in the bacon fat ;)

annelise

Reactions: 3 people

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I cook all my food from scratch (no processed foods) so i do add when cooking but never at the table. I did have an issue last year with too little salt and am now aware how bad for you to little is.

Reactions: 7 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I only add salt to potatoes/chips but don't have them any more so unless i eat cheese i'd say i have a pretty low salt diet. According to MFP i only exceeded recommended levels once in the last 5 weeks anyway.

goose64

I haven't added salt to food for over 20 years - my food is not bland I use herbs & pepper - my children also son't add salt to anything

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to add it to meat, stews and homemade soups.
Never add it to veg.

I also supplement potassium, esp in hot weather.

The night time cramps are miserable if I don't.

People who eat bread tend to forget that there is probably over a teasp in every loaf. My potassium problems started around the time I went low carb...

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If I make scrambled eggs salt and pepper is going into the mix.
If I have chips I'm having salt and vinegar.
Not many chips these days.
I'm probably low salt like the stuff but don't think I've ever over used it.