spriklett

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tofu
Ricotta...just can't swallow it
I'm cheesed off...

I have been really struggling recently to keep my BS levels down but just can't get them down from mid teens. Everything I eat seems to push them up by at least 2 points and I am being really careful with what I eat, almost to the point of obsession...small portions, low carbs. I've lost nearly 5 stone in weight, down to 89kg now go to the gym at least 3 times a week...but still those BS won't come down. After going to the gym they actually go up, sometimes by as much as 4 points.,

Anyone know what's going on?...I'm on 4 x metformin, 4 x gliclazide, 1 x saxagliptin. I'm off to the docs on Friday and I know he's going to put me on insulin this time :/

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Could you post what you eat and drink on a typical day? Also, what kind of work do you do at the gym?

Reactions: 4 people

spriklett

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tofu
My typical day:

On getting up I have a small piece of wholemeal bread with a teaspoon of peanut butter
Breakfast: Greek Yoghurt, small number of mixed berries and chopped nuts
mid morning snack: hard boiled egg
lunch: meat (depends what's on but could be a chop or steak) veg (cabbage cauliflower small number of carrots)..no potato no sauces or gravy
mid afternoon snack: hard boiled egg
evening meal: meat and 2 (at least) veg...no potato

Gym consists of 3 cardio machines each for 10 minutes (usually inclined cycle, arm rower, treadmill) plus three sets 12 reps on 3 resistance machines, free weight biceps curls, triceps and sit ups

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's a head scratcher isn't it? Your diet looks good and your weight loss is excellent. Exercise can raise blood glucose, but I don't know much about it.

Bumping your thread and hopefully someone will be able to help based on the info you have given. Best wishes.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi

You say you've been struggling 'recently' - what levels were you maintaining before? As Avocado says, your diet looks fine. I wonder if you may be late onset T1 (LADA) rather than T2? I'm not an expert on that but there are others on here who are.

spriklett

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tofu
I used to (up until the last 2 months) be able to keep my levels around 6-9 now I can't get it below 14. Did have one morning with a fasting reading of 9.9 but since then nowhere near it

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Sanguine says in one sense I might suggest Late onset T1 (LADA) but as you have been overweight then 'normal' T2 insulin resistance is likely. You can sometimes have both forms of diabetes i.e insulin resistance and lack of insulin from the pancreas. The GP could do a c-peptide test to check levels. It looks like you still have some weight to lose despite great reductions so far? I can only suggest continuing to low-carb and as the weight goes down so should the blood sugar. What is your BMI and how old are you? Yes, the GP may suggest insulin or possibly one of the injectables for weight reduction such as Bydureon. Insulin works at it's best when you don't have insulin resistance so getting to a good weight level is best before going onto insulin. Don't worry about sugar changes when you go to the gym. We all experience unexpected changes during or just after the gym.

spriklett

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tofu
Thanks for the replies. I agree I still need to lose some weight although at 6 foot, 89kg doesn't seem too bad, having gone from a 44 inch waist to a 32. Ideally I'd like to lose about another 15 kg. I'll see what the doc says on Friday

wizardo

My typical day:

On getting up I have a small piece of wholemeal bread with a teaspoon of peanut butter
Breakfast: Greek Yoghurt, small number of mixed berries and chopped nuts
mid morning snack: hard boiled egg
lunch: meat (depends what's on but could be a chop or steak) veg (cabbage cauliflower small number of carrots)..no potato no sauces or gravy
mid afternoon snack: hard boiled egg
evening meal: meat and 2 (at least) veg...no potato

Gym consists of 3 cardio machines each for 10 minutes (usually inclined cycle, arm rower, treadmill) plus three sets 12 reps on 3 resistance machines, free weight biceps curls, triceps and sit ups

In my experience, I had to hammer the cardio stuff until I felt half dead. Swimming is good too, but again swimming within yourself is no good. I to swim so hard as to hang off the end of the pool exhausted. Recover and carry on. I found it good to break up the hard swimms with some relaxing stuff in between, eg fin work, kick board etc. As for the gym/swimming, the cardio stuff is good for getting rid of the flab. But you need to start to build muscle, resistance machines are ok, but you need to get on to the weights and this where you need to be shown the ropes as it can be intimidating the first few times. Building muscle is good to counteract insulin resistance. Again you have to push yourself until your muscles start to quiver and are exhausted. Good luck.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Tough one.
Usually after such a weight loss your numbers should improve.
However at 6' your target weight of 74 kg seems sensible - 89 kg is probably still too much unless you are built like a Sherman tank.
I am currently around 12 stone/ 76 kg and started around 14 stone and my numbers didn't really improve a massive amount until I got to near my current weight.
Still half a stone to lose and it is hard going.

Hold the line and keep on losing weight, and things should get better.

Cheers

LGC

Sallycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who talk down to me, cruelty of any kind.
I'm cheesed off...

I have been really struggling recently to keep my BS levels down but just can't get them down from mid teens. Everything I eat seems to push them up by at least 2 points and I am being really careful with what I eat, almost to the point of obsession...small portions, low carbs. I've lost nearly 5 stone in weight, down to 89kg now go to the gym at least 3 times a week...but still those BS won't come down. After going to the gym they actually go up, sometimes by as much as 4 points.,

Anyone know what's going on?...I'm on 4 x metformin, 4 x gliclazide, 1 x saxagliptin. I'm off to the docs on Friday and I know he's going to put me on insulin this time :/

Sallycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who talk down to me, cruelty of any kind.
Sounds as if the tablets aren't enough any more and you've worked so hard too! All that weight loss and you'd think it would improve things, although it may be it was due to the high BSs that your weight dropped faster, but as you're still struggling, I reckon you may be right about being put on insulin. I'm not an expert - it might not be the route the doc takes. However, my late father was a Type 2 diabetic and struggled for ages. Once he was on insulin within two days he felt so much better in himself he said it was worth it. Good luck!

spriklett

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tofu
Thanks for the responses. Went to see doc on Friday and he's put me on Byetta for 4 weeks to see if that helps