Advice for Novomix 30

S21PGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi There,

Im type 2 for approx 5 years. and ive recently started Novomix 30. I take 25 units in the morning and 20 at night however, i almost always hypo everynight ( under3.5 ) approx 2 hours after injecting and the nights i don't hypo i am always over 10 in the morning. Ate a kitkat last night when i felt one coming on and i was 8.8 this morning. Im struggling to get the balance correct. I feel that if i take enough to keep my low till morning and then i hypo and if i dont take enough im always higher.
Please advise
Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome Paul, it's best to record all your bg readings and show them to your diabetes nurse, they will advise you on adjusting your insulin doses.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no easy answer with novo mix 30 it's greet for starters but I was having the same problem so I have gone on to basal/bolus and my control has improved greatly

Reactions: 2 people

S21PGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies guys. what regime are you on now then Crimsonclient?

S21PGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Any problems with hypos ? So u just use the rapid when u eat ?Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get my head round this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have hypo's occasionally but that is more to do with my daily workload. I take novo rapid with every carb based meal and the lantus just before bed. But everyone is different. Do you take your novo mix with meals? As it is designed to work at meal times

S21PGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. 25 units just before breakfast. And 20 just before tea. Bs usually around 10 just before tea. Never even came close to hypo in the morning but frequent after tea

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Basal/Bolus regime does give better control with smaller swings overall, but at the cost of more injections per day and two insulins. I manage to get away with typically 3 injections per day i.e. one evening Levemir and normally just two NovoRapid. I have a small breakfast and rely on the single evening Basal allowing me to avoid the need for a breakfast Bolus. We are all different but do discuss changing your regime if you don't mind having two insulins.

S21PGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No I don't mind. After taking 9 tablets a day for the past couple of years that achieved nothing I'll try anything to get a better control. The reason I ask about the hypos is I work on oil rigs and I've currently had my medical blocked for 6 months ( minimum ) till it's proving to be under control

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading what you just said I would go in to basal/bolus and also ask to go on to DAFNE even though your type 2 if you change on to basal bolus you should be treated as a type 1

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Im on the Basal/Bolus and went on DAFNE
I take Levemir twice a day and Novorapid at meals, yes Im getting better control but I was treated as type 2 on the Dafne yet my GP surgery has me as type 1 and treats me so.

S21PGC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought when basal/ blouse u could pretty much eat what u want ( within reason ) and then adjust dosage to suit anyway

So I've adjust the novo mix to 25/30 units in the morning and cut down on carbs and I'm set up better for the day However I've found when I get to about 5 in the morning I feel hypo and shakey but 5 other times of day I'm fine. Strange. Anybody else experience this

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to certain degree your right about basal bolus. But novomix isn't designed for adjusting doses

Reactions: 4 people

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading what you just said I would go in to basal/bolus and also ask to go on to DAFNE even though your type 2 if you change on to basal bolus you should be treated as a type 1

I changed to basal/bolus from novo mix due to hypos, still have hypos but not as much, I carb count and as a type 2 couldn't do the daphne course but nottingham city hospital realising that we needed help do a type 2 on insulin course which was very helpful. Good luck - hope things soon improve xx

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed to basal/bolus from novo mix due to hypos, still have hypos but not as much, I carb count and as a type 2 couldn't do the daphne course but nottingham city hospital realising that we needed help do a type 2 on insulin course which was very helpful. Good luck - hope things soon improve xx
As a type 2 on basal/bolus you get classed as type 1 and you are eligible to go on to DAFNE