Diet decisions NOT based on diabetes

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're a diabetic, then granola and fruit juice ARE junk food. Do you not know how carbohydrates affect blood sugar?

If you want antioxidants, you can get them from low-carbohydrate vegetables and fruits. You know how red apples have antioxidants? So does red cabbage.

Fruit juice is all sugar. In fact, when you drink juice, you're having multiple fruit servings. That's going to spike your blood sugar, probably worsen your cholesterol, and definitely increase your risk of heart disease.

Fiber is all well and good, but why turn to processed junk carbohydrates like Fiber One bars for it? Again, you need to worry about blood sugar just as much, if not more, than cholesterol, as your blood sugar levels are more indicative of your heart disease risk. Nuts and seeds are mostly fiber. Eat macadamias, walnuts or pecans. Flax meal has 4 grams of fiber per 2 tablespoons! You could make a flax meal muffin and get several times the fiber of one Fiber One bar. Vegetables are absolutely loaded with fiber. There's just no justification for eating Fiber One when there are a million more nutritious options that won't affect your blood sugar much at all.

Reactions: 2 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
As in can we drink it or in how much should we consume?

I've drank alcohol since the day I was diagnosed, probably drank too much back then but now just drink in moderation, keeping it to a Friday & Saturday evening whereby I enjoy a few glasses of wine.

As long as people with diabetes are aware of what alcohol can do to their bg management then it's entirely up to them if they drink or not, obviously there are guidelines on how much is safe to drink and it's best to stick to them, much like non-diabetics should.

No just the general opinion, I know what most people's opinions are on whether we *should* consume alcohol......
Agree with this statement - "obviously there are guidelines on how much is safe to drink and it's best to stick to them, much like non-diabetics should."

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Diabetics are liable to also get enlarged livers.. Alchohol can exasperate it...